Windows 10: File History backup tool in Windows 10 is MASSIVELY buggy

Discus and support File History backup tool in Windows 10 is MASSIVELY buggy in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had set up File History to start backing up files from a source location to a target location on an attached USB drive. I noted that some folders in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SanjeevSrivastav, Jan 18, 2021.

1. File History backup tool in Windows 10 is MASSIVELY buggy

I had set up File History to start backing up files from a source location to a target location on an attached USB drive.

I noted that some folders in the target location were incomplete, and had planned on investigating further.

Today I found that thousands of files in the source location were deleted and copied over to the target location!!!

UNACCEPTABLE.

I am now using a file sync program to manually sync between the two locations to recover what was deleted in the source location.

Of course, I don't know if there are files that got deleted in the source location and NOT copied to the target location.

Of course, no errors reported. IOW, silent errors deleting precious files.

Microsoft - please escalate this issue to the highest level. How can this be happening?

Contact me for details.

:)

SanjeevSrivastav, Jan 18, 2021
  2. gary_dps Win User

File History Bugs: Duplicates File Backups and Doesn't Remember Backup Items

It's now mid December and there have been a few patches to Windows 10 but I'm still experiencing these crazy issues with File History. None of the suggestions given work for me. It's just broken and badly implemented in Windows 10.

It keeps adding OneDrive and other folders to the backup that I don't want. It's ridiculous. Why would I want to backup a local copy of cloud files to another drive? It's already backed up in the cloud! Every time I remove OneDrive from the list of folders
    it automatically gets added back! Or if I try to add my OneDrive folder to the list of EXCLUDED folders it's completely ignored and doesn't appear in the list.

There's nearly 1TB of data being backed up which I don't want. There are only 2 folders I need backed up and Windows 10 refuses to remove the ones I don't want. It's a massive waste of valuable disk space. No wonder Microsoft are giving away Win10 for free!
    (This isn't the only buggy functionality I found)

Other annoyances relating to this is that there are 2 completely different places to "control" File History. You can go to:

• Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options
    • Control Panel > System and Security > File History
    This is nuts! It's confusing, very inconsistent and neither works properly. Microsoft have 100's of developers building Windows and this clearly shows where one team isn't talking to another.

Microsoft - please reply and sort out a fix. Thank you.

gary_dps, Jan 18, 2021
  3. File History backup and exclude settings are completely ignored resulting in massive storage use

File History backup and exclude settings are completely ignored resulting in massive storage use.

File History also includes OneDrive and Public Backups which I don't want or need, but can't get rid of because of the settings being ignored.

This issue appears to have been around from the inception of File History in Windows 8.

From what I've seen in responses to this issue Microsoft doesn't have an answer and agents keeps posting pointless generics such as FAQ links and "How To Use" instructions.

Is File History ever going to be fixed or can someone suggest a decent third party solution?

FrontrunnerSoftwareIreland, Jan 18, 2021
  4. File History backup tool in Windows 10 is MASSIVELY buggy

Backup using file history

Thanks Robeline

I was going by other advice and articles that suggest that backing up under Update and security/backup is now the way to go. I will try your suggestion.

Doug

DougWalsh1, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

File History backup tool in Windows 10 is MASSIVELY buggy

1. File History backup tool in Windows 10 is MASSIVELY buggy - Similar Threads - File History backup

2. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  3. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  4. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File history backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  6. File history backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history backup: Windows 10 v 2004.I notice when selecting Settings-Windows Update-Backup-the option to "add a drive" to back up using file history has been replaced with "Automatically back up my files"although not ON as default. How does this work to back up to a seperate drive? 158363
  7. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  8. windows 10 file history backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 file history backup: will windows 10 File History backup copy program or app files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-history-backup/308458e8-34a9-403c-86e6-7b3049c8b24c"
  9. Backup file history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup file history: How do I set up File History to back up to an external hard drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backup-file-history/2809c456-e34a-47f9-93ab-ea6c9188fd03"
  10. Window 10 backup (File History)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window 10 backup (File History): I am backing up my data on an external drive, 74,5 GB. I did change the folders I wanted to be backed up, and the file explorer shows about 38 GB free space, but the Backup options of the settings shows the size of the backup as 74,8 GB and the total space on the drive as...