Windows 10: File History Backup Won't Save any data

Discus and support File History Backup Won't Save any data in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; After upgrading my laptop to Win 10 I found File History and activated it. Seemed to be working fine until 8/15 when the backups stopped. Tried to get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by rallydave, Nov 4, 2015.

1. rallydave Win User

File History Backup Won't Save any data

After upgrading my laptop to Win 10 I found File History and activated it. Seemed to be working fine until 8/15 when the backups stopped. Tried to get it to backup further but, no way so after trouble shooting without success I deleted the back up data from the external drive and started fresh. Took awhile but, it finally backed all of the C folders with the exception of the one I needed, users. Worked and trouble shot futher and nothing so I again deleted the backup and tried fruitlessly to get backup to run. It does install the backup folders in my external drive which contain 2 mb but, nothing more.

Finally found the File History Backup log and found many errors. Mainly errors with the message that there was an error and the file would not be backed up unless changes were made. Have no idea how to fix these. The major seemed to be lots of reparse points causing failures plus an unusual situation

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Core" Guid="{B447B4DB-7780-11E0-ADA3-18A90531A85A}" />

<EventID>202</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x1000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-11-05T14:17:17.098984600Z" />

<EventRecordID>40589</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="1056" ThreadID="6388" />

<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Engine/BackupLog</Channel>

<Computer>DavesHPLaptop</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

- <EventData>
    <Data Name="Hr">2147746305</Data>

<Data Name="ConfigFilePath">C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

For the reparse points I was able to delete all but two of them with a program but, not the last two which are C:\Users\All Users to C:\Program Data and C;\Users\David\AppData\LocalLow\Silber Systems\RoboForm\UserData to C:\Users\David\Documents\My RoboForm Data\Default Profile.

These are Symbolic links and the program I found to remove reparse points won't delete these. Have found info on removing Symbolic links but, very cryptic instructions in Command prompt and not enough info for me to chance working on these.

I do have another back up shareware program but, would like this to work. Any and all help welcome as I am stumped!!!!!! Thanks in advance, Dave

:)

rallydave, Nov 4, 2015

2. File History

Since 20/10/17 the file history backup has not added any saved new files to the history from my main DATA disc WHICH IS NOT THE C: disc. As as a result I removed the disc/folder from the save list and then tried to re-instate it but whilst the ADD function goes
    away to add the disc/folder requested it doesn't appear in the list to be saved! Looks like an MSupdate/fix has stopped one saving from other than the C: disc. Any help appreciated. I have temporarily copied the folders required from my DATA disc to the backup
    disc to cover any immediate recovery issues but would like to get the auto File History backup working again!

Bob IntheUK, Nov 4, 2015
  3. LesB61 Win User
    File History not backing up new or changed files

• I am using File History and have not done a restore at this stage. I have checked the File History directory on the external drive and can not locate the new directories but can see the data from the original backup.
    • I save the backup data to an external drive
    • Yes I can see the external drive and have used several USB ports. I can drill down into the File History directory.
    • I have started my PC is safe mode and it tells me that File History is not accessible (a Windows warning window) when I try to "run now" the File History.

As I said the original backup worked fine but it will not do any incremental backups.

Have just checked now and it is at this moment copying the directories that were added to the Library about 5 days ago. Suffice to say very annoying, frustration and does not give me any confidence that it will actually keep my data up to date. Will have
    to look for another alternative.

LesB61, Nov 4, 2015
Thema:

File History Backup Won't Save any data

1. File History Backup Won't Save any data - Similar Threads - File History Backup

2. File History and backup to a NAS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History and backup to a NAS: I have been trying to use file history in Windows 10 to back up to my NAS. It works to backup everything but the documents which it refuses to do unless an alteration has been made to the document. I have looked at other advice on the community pages and everything suggested...
  3. Backup Using File History

Backup Using File History: I use File History in Win 10 to back up my files to a 500GB WD My Passport portable hard drive. I also use WD SmartWare installed from the WD drive to back up my files. This seems redundant and maybe overkill. Is it safe to rely solely on File History which would allow...
  4. File History, Image Backup

File History, Image Backup: File History image backup fails to complete as of last Windows update. However, Backup & Restore (Windows 7) image backup works correctly. As a result the backup is on the external hard drive, but I get Notifications on waking up the computer " Check your Backup". File...
  5. Any way to tell if File History backup is working?

Any way to tell if File History backup is working?: I am trying to keep my files backed up regularly (weekly). First, I cannot set an automatic weekly backup. Secondly, when I set the backup to run I can't tell if it's working (so a few times I've cancelled and started again, probably needlessly. Thirdly, can I sign out of...
  6. Problem with file history backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Problem with file history backup: I cannot change the drive for FILE HISTORY. I have been able to remove the old drive but although the drive I want is listed, clicking it has no effect. Is FILE HISTORY of much use anyway? I have not bothered with it before, and when I look at what has been saved it seems...
  7. File History won't restore error message ‘'File History is saving Copies of your files for...

File History won't restore error message ‘'File History is saving Copies of your files for...: Hello, I thought I was careful to set up File History, maybe I've missed something. I have set for hourly backup, 1 month retention, and have specified a few additional folders to back up in addition to the defaults. Data is being backed up, I see a little over 15 GB since...
  8. Backup using file history

Backup using file history: I am attempting to backup to my external drive using file history, I have done this many times before with no problem, but now it would appear file history does not see my external drive leaving a Red X after the drive name. Not had any problem before & I am using the same...
  9. Backup file history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup file history: How do I set up File History to back up to an external hard drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backup-file-history/2809c456-e34a-47f9-93ab-ea6c9188fd03"
  10. File History Backup Options

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Backup Options: Hi, I have a two part question. First, I turned on File History the first of the month, set the 'Back up my files' to daily and it now reports that the last backup was on 5/9/2016, about a week after I set it up, and viewing the data seems to support that, nothing dated...