Windows 10: File History Backup Won't Save any data

Discus and support File History Backup Won't Save any data in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; After upgrading my laptop to Win 10 I found File History and activated it. Seemed to be working fine until 8/15 when the backups stopped. Tried to get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by rallydave, Nov 4, 2015.

1. rallydave Win User

File History Backup Won't Save any data

After upgrading my laptop to Win 10 I found File History and activated it. Seemed to be working fine until 8/15 when the backups stopped. Tried to get it to backup further but, no way so after trouble shooting without success I deleted the back up data from the external drive and started fresh. Took awhile but, it finally backed all of the C folders with the exception of the one I needed, users. Worked and trouble shot futher and nothing so I again deleted the backup and tried fruitlessly to get backup to run. It does install the backup folders in my external drive which contain 2 mb but, nothing more.

Finally found the File History Backup log and found many errors. Mainly errors with the message that there was an error and the file would not be backed up unless changes were made. Have no idea how to fix these. The major seemed to be lots of reparse points causing failures plus an unusual situation

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Core" Guid="{B447B4DB-7780-11E0-ADA3-18A90531A85A}" />

<EventID>202</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x1000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-11-05T14:17:17.098984600Z" />

<EventRecordID>40589</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="1056" ThreadID="6388" />

<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Engine/BackupLog</Channel>

<Computer>DavesHPLaptop</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

- <EventData>
    <Data Name="Hr">2147746305</Data>

<Data Name="ConfigFilePath">C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

For the reparse points I was able to delete all but two of them with a program but, not the last two which are C:\Users\All Users to C:\Program Data and C;\Users\David\AppData\LocalLow\Silber Systems\RoboForm\UserData to C:\Users\David\Documents\My RoboForm Data\Default Profile.

These are Symbolic links and the program I found to remove reparse points won't delete these. Have found info on removing Symbolic links but, very cryptic instructions in Command prompt and not enough info for me to chance working on these.

I do have another back up shareware program but, would like this to work. Any and all help welcome as I am stumped!!!!!! Thanks in advance, Dave

:)

rallydave, Nov 4, 2015

2. File History

Since 20/10/17 the file history backup has not added any saved new files to the history from my main DATA disc WHICH IS NOT THE C: disc. As as a result I removed the disc/folder from the save list and then tried to re-instate it but whilst the ADD function goes
    away to add the disc/folder requested it doesn't appear in the list to be saved! Looks like an MSupdate/fix has stopped one saving from other than the C: disc. Any help appreciated. I have temporarily copied the folders required from my DATA disc to the backup
    disc to cover any immediate recovery issues but would like to get the auto File History backup working again!

Bob IntheUK, Nov 4, 2015
  3. LesB61 Win User
    File History not backing up new or changed files

• I am using File History and have not done a restore at this stage. I have checked the File History directory on the external drive and can not locate the new directories but can see the data from the original backup.
    • I save the backup data to an external drive
    • Yes I can see the external drive and have used several USB ports. I can drill down into the File History directory.
    • I have started my PC is safe mode and it tells me that File History is not accessible (a Windows warning window) when I try to "run now" the File History.

As I said the original backup worked fine but it will not do any incremental backups.

Have just checked now and it is at this moment copying the directories that were added to the Library about 5 days ago. Suffice to say very annoying, frustration and does not give me any confidence that it will actually keep my data up to date. Will have
    to look for another alternative.

LesB61, Nov 4, 2015
Thema:

File History Backup Won't Save any data

1. File History Backup Won't Save any data - Similar Threads - File History Backup

2. File History won't delete old backups

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History won't delete old backups: I have File History set to keep my backups for 3 months.However, it still does not delete them after 3 months, and this is taking up space.How do I get this feature to work?...
  3. File History won't delete old backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History won't delete old backups: I have File History set to keep my backups for 3 months.However, it still does not delete them after 3 months, and this is taking up space.How do I get this feature to work?...
  4. File History won't delete old backups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Data won't save

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data won't save: Hello! A past few days, i encountered some problems where my computer won't save any data except for apps. Everytime i save a file and turn off the computer it will gone after i turn it on againPlease give me a solution for this!...
  6. Data won't save

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data won't save: Hello! A past few days, i encountered some problems where my computer won't save any data except for apps. Everytime i save a file and turn off the computer it will gone after i turn it on againPlease give me a solution for this!...
  7. Data won't save

8. File History backup?

File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  9. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  10. Windows File History won't actually backup files.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows File History won't actually backup files.: Hello. I am on Windows 10. I hope I am not doing something wrong, but I am trying to have a backup of my files on my WD external HDD using file history. In the Backup settings in the Settings app, I selected the folders I want to backup. It also says it is on my E drive,...