Windows 10: File History backups from 2 hard drives?

Discus and support File History backups from 2 hard drives? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everybody, First time here and I would like to put out a question concerning File History. My PC has several hard drives, drive C:\ of course... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Fränk Lehnen, Aug 7, 2018.

1. File History backups from 2 hard drives?

Hi everybody,

First time here and I would like to put out a question concerning File History.

My PC has several hard drives, drive C:\ of course with the OS and programs (M.2 drive) and drive D:\, an SSD for my data, mainly photos. The backups are done to a third, internal 1Tb hard drive.

I set up File History to include the drive D:\ (added it in the list in settings).

Now it appears to actually back up the files from drive D:\ - I checked by opening the File History directory on the backup drive!

When I open File History to try to recover versions of my files I see only the 'normal' places listed (Desktop, Documents, One Drive etc). No trace of my drive D:\.

What am I missing here? How can I make sure I can recover files from this drive with File History if need be.

By the way I also tried putting the various folders from drive D:\ into the FH settings list instead (D:\Lightroom etc) of the whole drive - same result.

Running Windows 10 Pro - latest updates all done!

I'd appreciate any help here

Thanks a lot

:)

Fränk Lehnen, Aug 7, 2018
  2. Rhen Pal Win User

Windows 10-Reconnect your drive...No longer able to use original USB HDD for File History backups

Perform these steps to enable backup:

• Connect an external hard drive to your computer.
    • Next, open the Settings app from your Start Menu.
    • Navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click or tap the “Add a drive” option under Back up using File History to add an external drive that File History will back up to.
    It’ll list external drives and give you the option to back up to them.

Regards.

Rhen Pal, Aug 7, 2018
  3. File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Aug 7, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

File History backups from 2 hard drives?

File History

Hi Anastasia,

File History creates a backup of your files automatically and stores the backup on an external hard drive. It might be disconnected for too long that may cause interruption. To address your inquiry, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article on how to reconnect your File History drive.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Aug 7, 2018
Thema:

File History backups from 2 hard drives?

1. File History backups from 2 hard drives? - Similar Threads - File History backups

2. Cannot Select Backup History File Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Select Backup History File Drive: My computer has been backing up to an external drive that has died. Window says to reconnect. What I need to do is select another drive, but none of the 12 drives I have tried to select is acceptable to Windows. So what do I do?...
  3. transfering all files from 2 hard drives to 1 hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transfering all files from 2 hard drives to 1 hard drive: the C-Drive is the one i have windows installed onmy current pc has 2 hard drives and the pc i am about to get has only one.a bunch of programs have the program installed on the D-Drive while the config/save files are on the C-Drive.because copying everything takes for ever...
  4. How to backup app data + files from 2 hard drives for system reset

How to backup app data + files from 2 hard drives for system reset: I am having a problem with my system after installing my latest win 10 update. My screen if flickering nonstop. I already have brought it up in another thread but I'm at the point now where Im wanting to do a system reset. I have a HDD and SSD in my desktop. Windows is on the...
  5. Windows 10 File History Backup Files New Larger External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 File History Backup Files New Larger External Hard Drive: My 1TB external hard drive is almost full. I want to keep all my previous file history files rather than delete older versions. How do I copy the file history files from this older 1TB external hard drive to a new 6TB external hard drive? I'd then like to use the new...
  6. Trying to backup PC to external hard drive but file history wont turn on.

Trying to backup PC to external hard drive but file history wont turn on.: trying to backup PC to external hard drive but File History won't turn on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-backup-pc-to-external-hard-drive-but/e5d81d7c-edb4-40b9-9cf5-3b498b4e9471
  7. Backup of files on hard drives

Backup of files on hard drives: Hello, I wish to know how to setup an incremental backup so it backs up only recently modified files on hard drives. Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-of-files-on-hard-drives/6d3fbdac-3730-4c48-ae1e-29579484aa8a
  8. backup and "file history drive is disconnected"

backup and "file history drive is disconnected": Cannot backup due to "file history drive is disconnected", cannot even manual backup even though File Explorer shows external drive is active. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-file-history-drive-is-disconnected/9cf94ae3-6d24-4a02-9546-45658511b850
  9. Recovering files from a backup on an external hard drive

Recovering files from a backup on an external hard drive: Hi there. Since my desk top PC, running Windows 10, started misbehaving a couple of years ago I've been using a laptop for day to day work. I've given up on the old desktop and now want to recover various files - music, photos and Office documents from the 1TB WD Elements...
  10. Change the backup drive for File History

Change the backup drive for File History: I'd like to change the backup drive for File History. How can I stop File History on the older physical drive and start File History on a new physical drive?...