Windows 10: File history, browse older files form an older backup drive

Discus and support File history, browse older files form an older backup drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello! I've been using file history for years, and there was a moment that the external drive was full, by that time file historysuggested to add a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RiPedro, Jan 12, 2021.

1. RiPedro Win User

File history, browse older files form an older backup drive

Hello!

I've been using file history for years, and there was a moment that the external drive was full, by that time file historysuggested to add a new drive, which I did, since I wanted to keep those old files. Since then I am using this new drive.

Now I'm searching for a file that I know that is on that old drive, lets say, from 2016 and the file history search goes only far as January 2020! How can I make that file history "remembers" the files from that older external drive?

Thanks

:)

RiPedro, Jan 12, 2021
  2. Junaid_A Win User

File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jan 12, 2021
  3. Change the backup drive for File History

I'd like to change the backup drive for File History. How
    can I stop File History on the older physical drive and start File History on a new physical drive?

KathyBartels, Jan 12, 2021
  4. RobF839 Win User

File History Cannot Restore An Older Backup Version

Greg,

Many thanks for the quick response. I studied all the articles, which are informative but don't squarely address my situation. I am trying to restore selected files contained within the older of two completely separate backups. To complicate matters,
    the "Configuration" and "Data" folders no longer appear in the older backup (which probably explains why File History can no longer associate with those files).

My goal is to move several thousand files that appear in the older backup back onto the PC, and then merge them with the existing backup. Why not simply copy and paste? Because I want to strip off all of the time stamping from the older backup. I don't
    know any way to do this without using the restore function - which no longer works.

Is there any way to automatically strip out the time stamping on the older backup?

Again, many thanks for your interest.

RF

RobF839, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

1. File history, browse older files form an older backup drive - Similar Threads - File history browse

2. file history not deleting older backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file history not deleting older backups: For some reason, my file history is not deleting old backups. As a result, my drive gets full. I have to go in and manually wipe them out and start overAny suggestions appreciated?Thanks in advance...
  3. file history not deleting older backups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file history not deleting older backups: For some reason, my file history is not deleting old backups. As a result, my drive gets full. I have to go in and manually wipe them out and start overAny suggestions appreciated?Thanks in advance...
  4. file history not deleting older backups

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. File History won't clean older file history

File History won't clean older file history: I haven't been to file history for awhile. That's a good thing, right?! Recent viewing shows a very large file. With any attempt to 'clean up versions' through 'advanced settings', it responds with the message #1 shown below. As far as I am aware, everything has been closed....
  6. File History won't clean older file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History won't clean older file history: I haven't been to file history for awhile. That's a good thing, right?! Recent viewing shows a very large file. With any attempt to 'clean up versions' through 'advanced settings', it responds with the message #1 shown below. As far as I am aware, everything has been closed....
  7. File History won't clean older file history

8. File History Cannot Restore An Older Backup Version

File History Cannot Restore An Older Backup Version: Hello, I have been using Windows 10 Pro File History with a WD My Cloud network attached storage. A recent WIN10 update broke the network connection with my storage, so for last couple of months I used a USB hard drive connected directly to my PC for File History backup...
  9. Opening Older Files with Cortana

Opening Older Files with Cortana: I am having trouble with Cortana. I cannot get it to open older files. Does anyone have any suggestions. I need to open a certain One Note file and an Open Office File. Cortana will open One Note and Open Office but will not open the file that I specify. Thank You in...
  10. Delete Older Versions of File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete Older Versions of File History in Windows 10: How to: Delete Older Versions of File History in Windows 10 How to Delete Older Versions of File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically...