Windows 10: File History: Can I exclude all subfolders except one?

Discus and support File History: Can I exclude all subfolders except one? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I use File History for routine backup. I have a particular folder, with lots of sub-folders, that I don't want to to include in the back up -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by windowstyke, Feb 2, 2021.

1. File History: Can I exclude all subfolders except one?

Hi

I use File History for routine backup. I have a particular folder, with lots of sub-folders, that I don't want to to include in the back up - EXCEPT for one folder, that I DO want to include.

I've tried excluding the parent folder, then specifically including the subfolder of interest - but File History takes no notice, presumably the exclude overrides any specific includes.

I'd rather not have to include the parent then exclude every other subfolder.

Any thoughts?

PS Tried the MS help line - they're pretty useless, aren't they? After being passed along a chain, and having a hard time getting the guy to understand my as I thought simple request, they simply hung up on me...

:)

windowstyke, Feb 2, 2021
  2. cShane Win User

Exclude subfolder

This folder is being watched:

C:\Users\Shane\Music

I would like to exclude this subfolder:

C:\Users\Shane\Music\_downloads

Files in this subfolder are usually tagged incorrectly, and I like to fix them before moving them into the sorted folders.

Is it possible to exclude a subfolder?

Thanks,

Shane.

cShane, Feb 2, 2021
  3. neuroking Win User
    File History won't exclude folders

The 'remove this drive' technique appeared to work, but when I checked the drive, the folders were still being backed up. Opened the modern file history settings and the folders were still removed from the backup list. I tried to add them manually to the
    excluded folders list and they disappeared like before. After a reboot, and I think opening the 'classic' file history control panel without making changes, the removed folders were back on the list and could not be removed.

I also did the same steps above, but manually deleted the backed up folders from the drive after removing them. Still no dice.

Everything is back to where it was before. Somehow I got a folder to stay in the classic and modern control panel exclude lists, but I can't add any more. One thing to note, the exclude list, I think, must contain folders within the backed up folder list.
    I know it makes no sense to exclude a folder that isn't backed up anyway (i.e.-not a subfolder of a backed up folder), but it seems a likely place for some weird settings reset bug to occur.

My guess is that there is some interaction between the modern and classic control panels that causes them to reset these lists, compounded by the added functionality of selecting the folders in the modern settings. Something along the lines of the File History
    engine checks the classic control panel for exclusions, then checks the modern settings for inclusions, finds a conflict, and reverts to the previous folder lists. Some type of weird tug-o-war over settings, and the underlying triggers are automatically called
    from both sides in non-intuitive (to users) ways.

My solution was to ditch FH altogether and switch over to SynBackSE for versioning. Not a solution for everyone, I know, but there is something fundamentally messed up with FH, and I'd rather not gamble with my thesis backups.

neuroking, Feb 2, 2021
  4. File History: Can I exclude all subfolders except one?

File History won't exclude folders

I just tried to exclude C:\Users\Donny\Downloads using the legacy control panel File History interface. When I clicked "Select Folder" the folder was added to the excluded folders list. When I clicked "Save changes" and went back into the excluded folders
    list, C:\Users\Donny\Downloads was not listed at all.

So certainly not fixed for me.

Donny Murgatroyd, Feb 2, 2021
Thema:

File History: Can I exclude all subfolders except one?

1. File History: Can I exclude all subfolders except one? - Similar Threads - File History exclude

2. Can you exclude certain files (not folders) from File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can you exclude certain files (not folders) from File History: I've been using File History & generally like the way it works. However, if I open a Word file, e.g. Utilities.doc, Word also creates a temporary file, ~$ilities.doc. If I have it open for awhile, File History may back up this file also. Over time, I've found various files...
  3. Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder: I use Git to keep track of my projects, and this creates a .git folder in any repository that is tracked. I am unable to search anything in these folders. For example, I know that filename.txt exists inside one such folder, and when I type filename.txt in the Start Menu...
  4. Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

in Cortana
    Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder: I use Git to keep track of my projects, and this creates a .git folder in any repository that is tracked. I am unable to search anything in these folders. For example, I know that filename.txt exists inside one such folder, and when I type filename.txt in the Start Menu...
  5. Search excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

in Cortana
    Search excludes any folder with a .git subfolder: I use Git to keep track of my projects, and this creates a .git folder in any repository that is tracked. I am unable to search anything in these folders. For example, I know that filename.txt exists inside one such folder, and when I type filename.txt in the Start Menu...
  6. Trying to remove excluded folders from File History drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to remove excluded folders from File History drive: Hello anyone, When I activated File History I left the Videos folder, which contains my movies and series, in theBack up these folders list. That filled up my 1 TB backup drive quickly, so I removed that folder from the list. Now how do I remove excluded folders from my...
  7. How can I get Read permissions for all subfolders and files in a folder at once?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I get Read permissions for all subfolders and files in a folder at once?: I have an old corrupt Windows folder that I am trying to delete from a hard drive. This is what the permissions settings for the folder looks like: [ATTACH] As you can see, both administrators and users have full control, applying to "This folder, subfolders, and files",...
  8. exclude subfolder search like in Windows 7 ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    exclude subfolder search like in Windows 7 ?: in windows 7 there was a search option to exclude searching the subfolders too. In windows 10 i cant see any. Now every time i want to search for a file, my computer searches the whole drive for that file and shows all results which have that name. I only want to see the file...
  9. file history include exclude lists are erratic in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    file history include exclude lists are erratic in Windows 10: Directories are added spontaneously to the include and exclude list. Some of these directories existed in the past but no longer exist. Adding some entries generates additional entries while adding others has no effect (that is, the directory is not added)....
  10. Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10: How to: Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10 How to Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back up...