Windows 10: File History Cannot Restore An Older Backup Version

Discus and support File History Cannot Restore An Older Backup Version in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have been using Windows 10 Pro File History with a WD My Cloud network attached storage. A recent WIN10 update broke the network connection... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RobF839, Dec 26, 2019.

1. RobF839 Win User

File History Cannot Restore An Older Backup Version

Hello,

I have been using Windows 10 Pro File History with a WD My Cloud network attached storage. A recent WIN10 update broke the network connection with my storage, so for last couple of months I used a USB hard drive connected directly to my PC for File History backup until I could solve the network issue.

The network connection has now been restored. However, I cannot restore from my backup on my network drive.

When I attempt to start the restore, the File History dialogue locates the old backup location, warns me it is not the latest backup, and then refuses to restore. Instead I get the following error:

Could Not reassociate with File History data The system cannot find the path specified

Any solutions?

Thank you

:)

RobF839, Dec 26, 2019

2. File History Restore Not Working

My apologies for my not explaining my problem clearly.

File History would always list my external drive. It would not list the File History backup subfolder, "Computer Name", which contained my backup.

I completed the 5 steps you recommended, and in step (4), using Windows Explorer, I opted to change the name to "File History.old" instead of deleting it. Had I deleted it, all my backup files that I want to reload onto drive C would have been gone.

When I look at the external backup drive in Windows Explorer it now shows 4 folders, $RECYCLE.BIN, FileHistory, FileHistory.old and System Volume Information. Bottom line, FileHistory contains only the backed up data currently on Drive C as a result of step
    5, while FileHistory.old contains the data I wish to reload.

Now when I go to Control Panel/File History/Select drive, and select the external backup drive, only the subfolder contained in FileHistory shows up. The subfolder contained in FileHistory.old, which contains the data I wish to restore, is still not listed.
    When I select "Restore personal files" it only shows folders associated with FileHistory.

Thanks for your attention and help, but I am now resigned to copying and pasting the files that I need to restore. I totally yield to the higher power that is Microsoft.

Again thanks,

RP

Robert Pat Vaughn, Dec 26, 2019
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Dec 26, 2019
  4. File History Cannot Restore An Older Backup Version

File History

If that does not help, clear older versions of files under File History and start a fresh backup. Follow the steps:

Zackary Vanosdol, Dec 26, 2019
Thema:

File History Cannot Restore An Older Backup Version

1. File History Cannot Restore An Older Backup Version - Similar Threads - File History Cannot

2. file history not deleting older backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file history not deleting older backups: For some reason, my file history is not deleting old backups. As a result, my drive gets full. I have to go in and manually wipe them out and start overAny suggestions appreciated?Thanks in advance...
  3. file history not deleting older backups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file history not deleting older backups: For some reason, my file history is not deleting old backups. As a result, my drive gets full. I have to go in and manually wipe them out and start overAny suggestions appreciated?Thanks in advance...
  4. file history not deleting older backups

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows backup/restore and file history

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows backup/restore and file history: I have a new (late December) Dell 5500, 512 GB SSD about half empty. I have File Explorer access to a 2TB NAS (WD Mybook Live) via home wifi network. I'm starting with win 10 native s/w. I'll research other popular programs (macrium etc) because multiple attempts using the...
  6. File history, browse older files form an older backup drive

File history, browse older files form an older backup drive: Hello! I've been using file history for years, and there was a moment that the external drive was full, by that time file historysuggested to add a new drive, which I did, since I wanted to keep those old files. Since then I am using this new drive. Now I'm searching for a...
  7. File History VS Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History VS Backup and Restore: Hi. So I have this 2TB external hard drive which uses the USB type-C so I can leave it plugged in all the time. I've done all the system repair disc, restore point, system image and recovery drive. 1) can the same external drive be used for both file history and backup and...
  8. Backup and Restore Question for File History

Backup and Restore Question for File History: I have used File History for a number of years to backup my files. I can see it running and according to the program it operates successfully. For the heck of it I tried to restore a file, just to see if it would work. It ended up only finding a backup from July 2019, yet...
  9. Backup and restore, along with file history cannot restore certain files

Backup and restore, along with file history cannot restore certain files: So recently, I wanted to do a reset of my laptop. This involved backing up my data, which included my notes. I proceeded to find out how to back my notes up (I had already allowed for online backing up of the notes and was searching for a way to back it to an external drive)...
  10. Backup and Restore with File History

Backup and Restore with File History: I'm backing up using file history. If I indicate a folder structure such as c:\Users, do all subordinate or child folders and files contained therein get backed up. I tried a test of this and it does not seem to do the backup. Is there a switch somewhere that I'm missing?...