Windows 10: File History clean up

Discus and support File History clean up in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Last night I decided to clean up back ups in preparation for sending to a new hard drive. In File History I selected to delete all but the last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HazelR_943, Aug 21, 2020.

1. File History clean up

Last night I decided to clean up back ups in preparation for sending to a new hard drive.

In File History I selected to delete all but the last copies of documents. At the end of the clean up, all I was left was with 4 folders with photos. I had thousands, and thousands of documents.

What on earth went wrong?

I now have nothing, no data, apart from the 4 folders of photos.

Would appreciate any help.

:)

HazelR_943, Aug 21, 2020

2. File History Drive Full - Now What

Hi Don,

File History drive usually contains older versions of Windows on your PC. To clean your File History drive, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Open the Control Panel (small icon view), and then click on the
      File History.
    • On the left pane, click on Advanced settings.
    • Click on the Clean up versions link in the Versions
      section. Note: The Clean up versions link will not be available if you don't have any File History versions available on currently selected drive.
    • Select the time period of versions you want to delete, and then click on
      Clean up
    • File History Cleanup will now start discovering items for the specified time period, and delete them if available.
    • If it didn't find any versions of your files that were that old, click on Close, and repeat step 4 above using a shorter time period if you like.
      If the cleanup completed successfully, click on OK.
    • You can now close If the cleanup completed successfully, click/tap on OK.
    • You can now close the windows.

Let us know if the steps above helped you to resolve your concern.

Janeane Cru, Aug 21, 2020
  3. #Jon# Win User
    File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Aug 21, 2020
  4. Junaid_A Win User

File History clean up

File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Aug 21, 2020
Thema:

File History clean up

1. File History clean up - Similar Threads - File History clean

2. Could not clean up file history data. Element not found.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could not clean up file history data. Element not found.: Hi, I'm trying to clear my file history, but I keep getting this frustrating error. I don't know what is causing it; and it doesn't seem to have any error code or error log file, making it very difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. I have tried everything to fix it. I have...
  3. Could not clean up file history data. Element not found.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Could not clean up file history data. Element not found.: Hi, I'm trying to clear my file history, but I keep getting this frustrating error. I don't know what is causing it; and it doesn't seem to have any error code or error log file, making it very difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. I have tried everything to fix it. I have...
  4. File History Won't Clean Up Old Copies

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Won't Clean Up Old Copies: I had, out of ignorance, set my file history to back up my files and never delete the unneeded copies. Needless to say, File History on my external drive has become huge over 87gb. I tried to clean up older copies but couldn't. It gave me the error message "Could not clean up...
  5. File History Won't Clean Up Old Copies

File History Won't Clean Up Old Copies: I had, out of ignorance, set my file history to back up my files and never delete the unneeded copies. Needless to say, File History on my external drive has become huge over 87gb. I tried to clean up older copies but couldn't. It gave me the error message "Could not clean up...
  6. File History won't clean older file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History won't clean older file history: I haven't been to file history for awhile. That's a good thing, right?! Recent viewing shows a very large file. With any attempt to 'clean up versions' through 'advanced settings', it responds with the message #1 shown below. As far as I am aware, everything has been closed....
  7. File History won't clean older file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History won't clean older file history: I haven't been to file history for awhile. That's a good thing, right?! Recent viewing shows a very large file. With any attempt to 'clean up versions' through 'advanced settings', it responds with the message #1 shown below. As far as I am aware, everything has been closed....
  8. File History won't clean older file history

9. Could not clean up file history data The handle is invalid

Could not clean up file history data The handle is invalid: Please would you be able to help me fix this error: Could not clean up file history data The handle is invalid https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/could-not-clean-up-file-history-data-the-handle-is/aea76400-8ebf-43a5-ac9e-b56f836f4a6d
  10. Windows 10: Could not clean up File History data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10: Could not clean up File History data: When I access File History from Control Panel, click Advanced settings, click Clean up versions, choose an option under Delete Files and click Clean up, all I get is: [ATTACH] Does anybody else experience this problem? I'm on Windows 10 Insider Preview 20H1, build 19041....