Windows 10: File History configuration error

Discus and support File History configuration error in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've just set up file history on my Windows 10 laptop as I just got a new SSD, and thought it would be a good idea to enable file history on my old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Daniel Baynton, May 19, 2019.

1. File History configuration error

I've just set up file history on my Windows 10 laptop as I just got a new SSD, and thought it would be a good idea to enable file history on my old one. (Both are always inside the computer, but it's still good for when I accidentally delete or overwrite a file.)

It worked the first few times, but now it's broken. In the file history event log, it gives this error:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

I've looked around and one post said that I should delete the config files. I did so, and after re configuring file history, it worked a few times and then broke again. What's causing this issue? I can write to both the C drive and the N (my old SSD) drive fine, and I'm only backing up files from the C drive to the N drive.

When I press "Run now" it tries, and then goes back to "Run now" without changing the last backed up time. It logs the error message above in the file history event logger.

:)

Daniel Baynton, May 19, 2019
  2. Junaid_A Win User

File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, May 19, 2019
  3. File History won't restore error message ‘'File History is saving Copies of your files for the first time’.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

• Have you tried the option to restore the file or files to a different location?

Method A: Follow these steps:

1. Open "Settings" app.
    2. Open "Update and Security".
    3. Select "Backup" category.
    4. Click "More options" under Backup using File History.
    5. Scroll down to "Back up to a different drive".
    6. Click "Stop using drive".
    7. Go back to the main Backup window.
    8. Click "Add a drive".
    9. Select the new drive.

Method B: Instead of deleting the complete File History folder, suggest you to delete or empty the configuration folder under File History to check if that helps.

The File History configuration is located in the following location: ‘C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration folder’.

Once this is done, restart the computer and check the File History status.

Method C: There are chances that a file/files may be corrupt or damaged in the backup. Hence getting the error. The Windows Event Viewer shows a log of application and system messages, including errors, information messages, and warnings. It’s a useful
    tool for troubleshooting all kinds of different Windows problems.

Events are placed in different categories, each of which is related to a log that Windows keeps on events regarding that category. While there are a lot of categories, the vast amount of troubleshooting you might want to do pertains to three of them:

Application: The Application log records events related to Windows system components, such as drivers and built-in interface elements.

System: The System log records events related to programs installed on the system.

Security: When security logging is enabled (it’s off by default in Windows), this log records events related to security, such as logon attempts and resource access.

Press Windows key + X and click on Event Viewer.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, May 19, 2019
  4. File History configuration error

Event 202 File History Core- Users\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\File History\Cofiguration\Config

Hello Ron,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please provide us more information to help you better:

• Have you lost any files?

• Have you made any changes to the PC prior to this issue?

I suggest you to copy the event log error and send us the information to help you better.

Steps:

1. In the Search bar type Event Viewer and press
    Enter.

2. In the right side pane you get Windows logs and in that select
    application.

3. Please click on the specific error and right click on it and then select copy as text.

4. Go to the notepad and paste it.

Meanwhile I suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps.

Reselect the Backup Disk under File History Control Panel:

1. Turn it off in the File History control panel

2. Close the control panel

3. Go to your File History directory C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory and set aside the Data and Configuration directories (Check the event for the exact directory location)

4. Open File History Control Panel.

5. Reselect the backup disk and apply/save the changes.

Hope the above information is helpful. Reply with the necessary information to help you better.

Anju Thekkethil, May 19, 2019
Thema:

File History configuration error

1. File History configuration error - Similar Threads - File History configuration

2. 0x80070020 File History Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    0x80070020 File History Error: I am geeting error 0x80070020 when trying to Back up File History to a different drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/0x80070020-file-history-error/87fb0ffd-6f51-4862-94eb-3e86660bd19f
  3. Configuring a NAS and File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Configuring a NAS and File History: I have a brand new NAS, I'm trying to configure File History in Win 10 to backup to my NAS automatically. In Explorer, I can see my NAS and all its file but when I try to select it as a backup location from File History, I get "You can't open this location using this location...
  4. Configuring a NAS and File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Configuring a NAS and File History: I have a brand new NAS, I'm trying to configure File History in Win 10 to backup to my NAS automatically. In Explorer, I can see my NAS and all its file but when I try to select it as a backup location from File History, I get "You can't open this location using this location...
  5. Configuring a NAS and File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. File History Error 201

File History Error 201: I opened my File History Event Logs to find a bunch of Errors. They are all 201 Events saying, "Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\..." What could be happening? I manually made a File History Backup on...
  7. file history not connected error

file history not connected error: I had a tech at a space on the hardrive to accomodate files...as well as create a destination folder. the error message went away. However the space or folder space is very small compared to the file storage needed. It was functioning .until I deleted the volume and tried to...
  8. File history error 100

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File history error 100: I'm trying to backup my laptop to my NAS with windows file history, but I keep getting error 100 because the length of the filepaths are longer than MAX_PATH. I even tried to make MAX_PATH longer but it doesn't seem to help. Any ideas how to fix this? submitted by...
  9. File History error

File History error: File History is telling me it cannot back up my D drive because of this file: D:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-18 The error message tells me to remove it or its encryption to get File History to work again but I can't find this file anywhere on the drive. What do I do now?...
  10. Configuring File History??

Configuring File History??: 1) Frustrated by File History inflexibility 2) Insists on backing up [mostly**] C Drive folders, meanwhile, I have all Docs/Data/Media on D Drive 3) C Drive is SSD, mostly empty except for OS & related + Apps M$ forced there! 4) Can't find any way to Select/include...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Core 202