Windows 10: file history corrupt files

Discus and support file history corrupt files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; using file history under win 10, all files backed up after a certain date. appr since mid aug 2018 till now all xls,pdf are unreadable. tried to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LarsSageryd, Feb 5, 2019.

1. file history corrupt files

using file history under win 10, all files backed up after a certain date. appr since mid aug 2018 till now all xls,pdf are unreadable. tried to recover in excel no luck, file sizes seeme ok. any idea? could some update back in august have caused this?

:)

LarsSageryd, Feb 5, 2019

2. Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Feb 5, 2019
  3. Corrupted file RAR

I dl files via a p2p network. When I open them via WinRar,it gives me an error message that the file cannot be opened as it is corrupted( do not recollect the exact wordings). Is there a way to correct/repair this. It is at times frustrating to find that a file is corrupted esp when the size is a few 100 Mb or more and has taken some time to dl !!

Is there a way to find if a file is corrupted in advance ??

Thx in advance.

JustinWalt, Feb 5, 2019
  4. file history corrupt files

File History Physical Connected But Not Electronic

Hello Candun,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that File History is not recognizing the external USB expansion drive, even though the drive had worked initially and it was behaving normally in File Explorer.

This issue may occur if any of the backup in the drive you are backing up is corrupted or the library is corrupted.

Please follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

1. Open File History and click Select Drive. Select a different drive other than the one that is failing to be recognized. you can consider adding an extra internal HDD to your PC in this situation.

2. Go to the external USB drive that wasn't being recognised, find the File History folder and rename it to "File History.old" or delete it.

3. Go to your C:\Users\your user folder\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows, find the File History folder and rename it "File History.old" or delete it.

4. Re-open File History, click Select drive and select the original USB drive that was not being recognised. The drive should now set up normally and start operating.

5. Delete the File History folder on the drive used in step 1

Method 2

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Also refer: What if something goes wrong in File History?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

(Note: Applies to windows 10)

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Feb 5, 2019
Thema:

file history corrupt files

1. file history corrupt files - Similar Threads - file history corrupt

2. File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History: File History seems to have stopped working. I've tried backing up from my PC W10, 21H1 version to two Passports. Each time I get the "run now" message, then a message only a few seconds later that the back-up is complete, but the total TB/GB amount free figure on the Passport...
  3. File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History: I have Windows 11 and cannot find the previous Windows 10 setup page that allowed inclusion of desired files as well as the removal of those not needed by the user. All it appears to do is to save files chosen by the program, most of which I don't need and cannot erase. Can...
  4. File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History: I have Windows 11 and cannot find the previous Windows 10 setup page that allowed inclusion of desired files as well as the removal of those not needed by the user. All it appears to do is to save files chosen by the program, most of which I don't need and cannot erase. Can...
  5. FILE HISTORY

FILE HISTORY: FILE HISTORY NOTIFICATIONS OF FILES SKIPPED I CREATED A LIBRARY BUT FILE HISTORY WOULD NOT COPY IT AUTOMATICALLY. I CHANGED IT TO A FOLDER BUT DOES NOT COPY ACCORDING TO THE ERROR MESSAGES OF FILES SKIPPED. IT DOES COPY MANUALLY....
  6. File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History: for some reason the last update I received i can not back up files at all. Its say my file history is turned off and i never did that.When i go to my control panel and hit file history it does not show Phil 174019
  7. File history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history: Hi, Only get this error on older files once I edit the file it will get backup. I get the following error Files that are encrypted with Encrypting File System, on a network location, or on a drive that doesn’t use the NTFS file system can’t be backed up. They were all...
  8. File History corrupted - Need to restore lost folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History corrupted - Need to restore lost folder: Been having problems with File History going corrupted for quite some time. What I have been doing to fix it, is reselect the drive again after turning it off. When resected, it would work again for some amount of time. That fix no longer worked as it dropped a major...
  9. File History

File History: For some unknown reason, I opened my laptop and noticed that I had to manually minimize windows to see others. I tried to see if it was connected to setting in file history and found that file history was turned off and it said no usable file drive found. I don't know if it...
  10. File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History: Hi. Hope I have posted this in the correct forum - I could not find a 'Backup & Restore' page. I have just purchased a NAS drive and I am going to enable Windows 10 to backup to this using File History. My question is, how does windows store these files? For...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file history is corrupt