Windows 10: File History corrupted - Need to restore lost folder

Discus and support File History corrupted - Need to restore lost folder in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Been having problems with File History going corrupted for quite some time. What I have been doing to fix it, is reselect the drive again after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RodgerMarjama, May 16, 2019.

1. File History corrupted - Need to restore lost folder

Been having problems with File History going corrupted for quite some time. What I have been doing to fix it, is reselect the drive again after turning it off. When resected, it would work again for some amount of time. That fix no longer worked as it dropped a major selection of files that were being backup for a few years now. That was a few months back and I just let it go, but now I have had a hard drive crash, which those files were on and I need to restore from File History, which does not see the folder as I said above. I have looked in the files, Config1.xml and Config2.xml, and both show the needed folder but show it as excluded from backups. It did this on its own for some reason, as I have said, I have always had backups being done to this folder.

There must be a way to find this data in the catalog files and restore it.

Help would be appreciated.

-Rodger

:)

RodgerMarjama, May 16, 2019

2. Corrupt files when restored

Hello everyone,
    The story goes like this: I accidentally deleted all my photos of a 3 month long trip I had from my 2TB backup drive *Bang Head :banghead: (!!!).
    I noticed it after two weeks and the drive was in use (It also a storage for movies and such).
    I had tried "GetDataBack for NTFS" and luckily all the files and folders are found in their original size and order.
    However, when I try to restore them all the files appears to be corrupt.
    I know chances are against me but I'm willing to try anything to restore them.
    Anyone with experience in the matter is welcome to offer a solution.

Few more things that might be relevant:
    the photos are JPEG but few (very important ones) are BMP .
    there are also movies in AVI. The total of all files is ~20GB. and all of them come out corrupt.
    I have some of the files intact and valid in a different folder, so maybe a comparison can help (Just an idea).
    File system is NTFS. OS is Windows 7 64bit.
    Thanks

BoomBang85, May 16, 2019
  3. File History Restore Not Working

My apologies for my not explaining my problem clearly.

File History would always list my external drive. It would not list the File History backup subfolder, "Computer Name", which contained my backup.

I completed the 5 steps you recommended, and in step (4), using Windows Explorer, I opted to change the name to "File History.old" instead of deleting it. Had I deleted it, all my backup files that I want to reload onto drive C would have been gone.

When I look at the external backup drive in Windows Explorer it now shows 4 folders, $RECYCLE.BIN, FileHistory, FileHistory.old and System Volume Information. Bottom line, FileHistory contains only the backed up data currently on Drive C as a result of step
    5, while FileHistory.old contains the data I wish to reload.

Now when I go to Control Panel/File History/Select drive, and select the external backup drive, only the subfolder contained in FileHistory shows up. The subfolder contained in FileHistory.old, which contains the data I wish to restore, is still not listed.
    When I select "Restore personal files" it only shows folders associated with FileHistory.

Thanks for your attention and help, but I am now resigned to copying and pasting the files that I need to restore. I totally yield to the higher power that is Microsoft.

Again thanks,

RP

Robert Pat Vaughn, May 16, 2019
  4. Ryan Fra Win User

File History corrupted - Need to restore lost folder

File History Displays No Files to Restore

Hi,

There are several reasons why the files are not showing, like it is hidden or it is corrupted. Let us change some settings to view hidden files by following these steps:

• Type Folder options in the search box.
    • Select File Explorer Options, then click View
      tab.
    • Tick the radio button on Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    • Click Apply then OK.

Check your File History if the files will appear. You can follow the steps above to not to show hidden files.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Ryan Fra, May 16, 2019
Thema:

File History corrupted - Need to restore lost folder

1. File History corrupted - Need to restore lost folder - Similar Threads - File History corrupted

2. restore file history

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    restore file history: I continually get a message - for years now - that I need to restore my file history. How do I do that? Evidently I am unble to back up my files to an external hard drive until the file history is restored....
  3. File History - restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History - restore: I backup my files using FileHistory. How do I restore a file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-restore/34fcbace-3bd4-43ae-8c0d-c8ec6cbbb17f
  4. File History restore

File History restore: I have a laptop with a cracked screen that I need to have repaired and wont have it for a few days. I've got my File History and an extra laptop that I can use in the interim. How do I: 1. restore / use my files from File History on the extra laptop without crossing over...
  5. Restore history files

Restore history files: i have tried to restore my files after it was refreshed. my history files say no files found. i tried to open the file but the open button is dark and won't work. i asked cortana and virtal assist with success. how do i get my files back? i have windows 10 for over 2 years......
  6. File history restore

File history restore: My Toshiba tablet keeps. Demanding file history be turned on. The setfings say it is on. How do i turn it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-restore/73a47ff4-d9cd-474d-aff3-4514dabe3428"
  7. file history corrupt files

file history corrupt files: using file history under win 10, all files backed up after a certain date. appr since mid aug 2018 till now all xls,pdf are unreadable. tried to recover in excel no luck, file sizes seeme ok. any idea? could some update back in august have caused this?...
  8. lost history file

lost history file: After upgrading to Windows 10, I lost all history files. Can you help me, please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-history-file/c536595d-0d9d-4472-851c-fa8871ef9b7c"
  9. Restoring File History after renaming "File History" folder

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring File History after renaming "File History" folder: New here and first time posting here so I apologize if Im in the wrong section. So I made a file back up onto a 2TB My Passport external hard drive using Windows 10 File History backup. I later renamed the folder to something other than the standard "FileHistory" windows...
  10. Lost file in File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Lost file in File History: Had to re-install Windows 10. Before doing this I backed up my computer using the Windows File History. After re-installing Windows 10 I am able to find all of my files, except one. It was the only file I had pinned to always show up as a recently used file. Are pinned files...