Windows 10: File History - Deleting Entries

Discus and support File History - Deleting Entries in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; File History Can I delete current individual Document entries in File History and still have File History work properly for future listings and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jerry8A, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Jerry8A Win User

File History - Deleting Entries

File History

Can I delete current individual Document entries in File History and still have File History work properly for future listings and maintain my old listings?

Another tech forum said:
    "File History keeps a database of all the files backed up. Since you manually deleted data in the File History folder (My Documents), the database and file store would be out of sync."

Do you agree?

Thanks,
    Jerry

:)

Jerry8A, Jun 16, 2017
  2. JMike S Win User

Is there a way to delete individual entries in the phone history?

It is easy to delete all the history of calls but I can't find a way to delete individual entries in the history.

JMike S, Jun 16, 2017
  3. Mark_W. Win User
    How to delete a particular number call history in windows 7.8 phone

Hello Sattish:

Thank you for posting to the forum regarding the question you have about deleting entries from your call history. This should work the same way it worked prior to the 7.8 update.

To access your call history and delete, do the following:

• Tap the phone tile on your start screen.
    • Go to the history section.
    • To delete all history Tap the (...) and select delete all.
    • To delete a specific entry, scroll to that entry > tap and hold > select the delete item.
    Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns we can assist you with.

Mark W.

Mark_W., Jun 16, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

I think the reason that no one has replied yet is that, as far as I know, you cannot manually delete individual files within File History without risking breaking the database.

The only safe way to manage your File History storage is to use it's own tools, which are limited to a global delete of copies older than a certain date.

Delete Older Versions of File History in Windows 10

5. Jeddie Win User
    Thanks Bree - I was not aware of that tutorial.

Jeddie, Jun 22, 2017
  6. Jerry8A Win User
    Hello Bree and Jeddie –

I posted this question earlier on another tech forum. I thought others might be interested in the reply I received. The below reply is the remainder of what I posted previously in my post.

File History keeps a database of all the files backed up. Since you manually deleted data in the File History folder (My Documents), the database and file store would be out of sync. If you don't need your previous File History backups, turn off file history and remove the entire directory. When done configure File History again. This will trigger a whole new backup. Additionally you are right that the backups are incremental in nature. File History checks the file system journal to determine what files were added or changed since the last backup.

Anyway, thanks for your return.

Jerry

Jerry8A, Jun 23, 2017
  7. Steve C Win User
    I wouldn't rely totally on File History. I use Macrium Reflect Free to backup my system & user files. I only use File History to augment these backups since you can set it to scan your files regularly - I use 3 hours.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. File History - Deleting Entries - Similar Threads - File History Deleting

2. File History - removal of deleted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History - removal of deleted files: In the "Delete older versions of files and folders" dialog which I'm not able to insert, despite saving the image as a file the prompt says that:"All other files and folders, such as versions that were excluded or removed from your libraries, are also deleted."What does this...
  3. File History - removal of deleted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History - removal of deleted files: In the "Delete older versions of files and folders" dialog which I'm not able to insert, despite saving the image as a file the prompt says that:"All other files and folders, such as versions that were excluded or removed from your libraries, are also deleted."What does this...
  4. File History - removal of deleted files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Deleting File History backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage leaving me with none on that drive without deleting other files, and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created...
  6. Deleting File History backups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage leaving me with none on that drive without deleting other files, and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created...
  7. Deleting File History backups

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created so I can get my storage back...
  8. deleting file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    deleting file history: I have run out of space on my external hard drive G. can I delete file history which is taking up 733GB? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-file-history/19d79f35-fea8-4e86-b9e7-79edc1f69b5b
  9. Deleting "Failed" entries in Windows Update history

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Deleting "Failed" entries in Windows Update history: For whatever reason, I have a bunch of "failed" updates listed under the WU history. They were all cumulative updates for various months. I've done a malware scan, system file check and DISM, all of which were clean. All cumulative updates have successfully installed the...
  10. Delete File History files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Delete File History files: Just started running file history, seems like it might be a good feature. It backed up a lot of stuff that wasn't necessary and its seems to be a hassle to delete them, is there any easy way? I backup to a folder on an Ubuntu computer through my home network. Even as I...