Windows 10: File history deleting only copies

Discus and support File history deleting only copies in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello! I'm using file history to back up my files, I have it set to back up every hour and keep for 3 months, but I was looking though the files and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Piggyporkface, Jul 9, 2020.

1. File history deleting only copies

Hello!

I'm using file history to back up my files, I have it set to back up every hour and keep for 3 months, but I was looking though the files and it turns out it deleted the only copies of files that haven’t been edited because it was older then 3 months, so now a bunch of my files are not backed up.

Anyone know how to fix this or can recommend some good alternatives to file history? Thanks!

submitted by /u/Piggyporkface
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Piggyporkface, Jul 9, 2020

2. File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Jul 9, 2020
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Jul 9, 2020
  4. Jerry8A Win User

File history deleting only copies

File History - Deleting Entries

File History

Can I delete current individual Document entries in File History and still have File History work properly for future listings and maintain my old listings?

Another tech forum said:
    "File History keeps a database of all the files backed up. Since you manually deleted data in the File History folder (My Documents), the database and file store would be out of sync."

Do you agree?

Thanks,
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

File history deleting only copies

1. File history deleting only copies - Similar Threads - File history deleting

2. File History - removal of deleted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History - removal of deleted files: In the "Delete older versions of files and folders" dialog which I'm not able to insert, despite saving the image as a file the prompt says that:"All other files and folders, such as versions that were excluded or removed from your libraries, are also deleted."What does this...
  3. file history not copying from Libraries

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file history not copying from Libraries: File History doesn't copy folders from Libraries. Resetting File History didn't help. Any thoughts?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-not-copying-from-libraries/a66d48f9-639e-4e60-b834-65846eb89963
  4. file history not copying from Libraries

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file history not copying from Libraries: File History doesn't copy folders from Libraries. Resetting File History didn't help. Any thoughts?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-not-copying-from-libraries/a66d48f9-639e-4e60-b834-65846eb89963
  5. file history not copying from Libraries

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. File History vs Copy & Paste

File History vs Copy & Paste: I am currently using a copy and paste method for backing up my hard drives to EHD devices. I have to split my data between 2 EHD devices because of the large amount of data. If I copy and paste the biggest folders, it can take over 12 hours to copy each of the four. If I...
  7. File history making unnecessary copies

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history making unnecessary copies: W10 File History backs up all files instead of changed files only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-making-unnecessary-copies/7b8c2265-1a8f-45c6-ab13-3e12cee6180f"
  8. deleting file history

deleting file history: I have run out of space on my external hard drive G. can I delete file history which is taking up 733GB? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-file-history/19d79f35-fea8-4e86-b9e7-79edc1f69b5b
  9. File History Not Copying All Files and Directories

File History Not Copying All Files and Directories: I have windows 10 version 1803, and noticed today that the directory structure set up on my external hard drive by File History is different to the directory structure it is supposed to be copying across, in that there are many sub-directories missing. Some of the missing...
  10. Delete File History files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Delete File History files: Just started running file history, seems like it might be a good feature. It backed up a lot of stuff that wasn't necessary and its seems to be a hassle to delete them, is there any easy way? I backup to a folder on an Ubuntu computer through my home network. Even as I...