Windows 10: File History did not back up Emails to external disc

Discus and support File History did not back up Emails to external disc in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm unable to recover my wife's emails since 2014. The history as we recall it, she upgraded to a new Win8 laptop in 2014, prior to that was running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlexHusick, Feb 7, 2020.

1. File History did not back up Emails to external disc

I'm unable to recover my wife's emails since 2014.

The history as we recall it, she upgraded to a new Win8 laptop in 2014, prior to that was running XP on an older laptop. The store tech was able to move her Outlook Express files, addresses, contacts, etc. to the new machine.

Soon thereafter, we took up the offer to upgrade to 8.1 or directly to Win10, unsure of the order.

Along the way the apprearance of Outlook Changed to a more modern presentation and we assumed it was a standard practice for Windows 10 to do that. Don't know if she was running Mail, or Live Mail.

We purchased an external hard drive and I believe I set it up to backup all of her files, mail, docs, etc.

Years went by without checking on the status of the backups, was content to see the little light flashing during start up.

In January of this year, the hard drive failed, and we were relieved that we had an external backup drive.

So I busied myself replacing the hard drive with a solid state unit of the same capacity.

Using the Recovery disk provided by the store tech at the time of purchase we recovered the original Win8. I then was able to do the free upgreade to Win10 from Microsoft, so far so good.

Then re-attaching the external drive we saw various files and went back to File History to undertake the Data Restore process.

Well this is where we were befuddled, didn't see how it worked. Found WAB, Contact, Favorites, and the DBX files in a folder called Outlook Express. Found a recovery program that let me convert the DBX file to EML and they were to our relief now readable. Unfortunately the wife saw that there was no emails after 2014, only prior to that date.

Can anyone tell me what to do with the files on the back up disk, since we're hoping that what we want it hidden somewhere there.

My sneaking suspicion is that I didn't set up the File History backup properly but I recall it say the backup F:\ drive and I told it to back up her Identity name.

What steps might save my neck at this time?

:)

AlexHusick, Feb 7, 2020

2. File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Feb 7, 2020
  3. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Feb 7, 2020
  4. Pavan_N Win User

File History did not back up Emails to external disc

File history won't detect external HHD

Hi Simon,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve your issue,

What is the make and model of your computer and hard drive?

Follow the Methods below and check if that helps.

Method 1: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with the Bluetooth adapter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Method 2: I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the latest USB drivers from manufacturer's website.

Follow these steps to un-install the drivers:

• On the search bar type “ Device Manager
    • On the left pane locate “Universal Serial Bus Controllers” and expand by clicking on it.
    • Right on all the USB adapters and click “Uninstall’
    • Download the latest USB adapter setup file from the manufacturer’s website and install it.

Refer the Microsoft articles below and perform the steps suggested.

What if something goes wrong in File History?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

Set up a drive for File History.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

Applies to Windows 10.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Feb 7, 2020
Thema:

File History did not back up Emails to external disc

1. File History did not back up Emails to external disc - Similar Threads - File History did

2. File History will not back up files to my external drive. Error 8100002F.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History will not back up files to my external drive. Error 8100002F.: Hello,I am using Windows 10.At the beginning of January of this year 2024, I switched to a larger external drive to back up my files with File History, as I have successfully done for decades.From my first try to back up my files with File History, it backed up many folders...
  3. Backing up files to an external disc - automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backing up files to an external disc - automatically: I have a folder at C:\Users\Public\ and need to back it up on an external USB. I tried using file history but I couldn't get it to work because I couldn't set the path to that folder.I basically want to change the "Copies from" and add another path to copy things from.I have...
  4. Backing up files to an external disc - automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backing up files to an external disc - automatically: I have a folder at C:\Users\Public\ and need to back it up on an external USB. I tried using file history but I couldn't get it to work because I couldn't set the path to that folder.I basically want to change the "Copies from" and add another path to copy things from.I have...
  5. File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up: HiI'm having issues with File History. It is turned off, and won't let me turn on. When I go through settings into update and security and into backup it says 'no usable drives found'. When I go through the Backup and Restore route, it says 'File History is off' and the...
  6. File history back up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history back up.: Hi, when I back up file history to an external drive it does not save my picture library. I have used different drives but no pictures are saved. I do have a one drive account as well but would love to get my pictures on an external drive just in case. Any ideas? Cheers,...
  7. File History Did Not Back Up Intended Folders...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Did Not Back Up Intended Folders...: I enabled File History to back up two folders to my NAS. Both folders are in C:\Files\ and they are the only two folders listed under Back up these folders. I clicked the Back up now button and it backs up C:\Users\[username]\Apple\MobileSync\Backup\ . Any ideas why this...
  8. Back-up and File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up and File History: I use Windows 10 Back-up and I swap between 2 Passport Drives every month so as to put one at a time safely away from the PC. Trouble is, whenever I Add A Drive, the default settings are Back Up Hourly and Keep Forever. And to back up folders I never use like Saved Games and...
  9. file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive: File history won't back up onedrive files to external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-will-not-back-up-onedrive-files-to/345fc1d9-a93a-484a-8a01-58a93d13f71d
  10. File history/ Back-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history/ Back-up: I accidentally deleted my recovery partition and now I get an error saying check back-up settings. How can I re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-back-up/83dfd074-f1b6-4cfc-8d02-4e0945a155de