Windows 10: File History does not back-up files held in the OneDrive folder even though physically held...

Discus and support File History does not back-up files held in the OneDrive folder even though physically held... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On the PC I keep Documents, Pictures and Videos on the OneDrive folder so that any change i make on the PC is automatically added to OneDrive and thus... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wallace99, Oct 13, 2018.

1. wallace99 Win User

File History does not back-up files held in the OneDrive folder even though physically held...

On the PC I keep Documents, Pictures and Videos on the OneDrive folder so that any change i make on the PC is automatically added to OneDrive and thus fully available on my phone, Ipad and laptop.

But this gives me a problem with the File History backup as none of the One Drive folders are backed up (other than showing the folder names). I don't know whether the program is assuming that, because it's a One Drive folder, the files won't be physically present on the hard drive. But they are there on the hard drive although ignored by File History. So I am having to back up Documents, Pictures and Videos by other means

Any ideas how i can get File History to make the necessary back-ups

File History works fine for all my other folders

:)

wallace99, Oct 13, 2018
  2. wallace99 Win User

File History not working properly

I think the reason that File History was only backing up some of the folders in D:users/myname is that my main libraries (with the exception of Music) are held in D:users/myname/onedrive. All these OneDrive folders are physically held on the PC as well
    as being in the cloud.

I hold the libraries in the OneDrive folder so that, when updated on the PC, they are automatically available on my other devices

Does File History refuse to save any folders within the OneDrive folder even though they are physically on the computer? If so, do you have any recommendations for getting round this problem?

wallace99, Oct 14, 2018
  3. File History Physical Connected But Not Electronic

Hello Candun,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that File History is not recognizing the external USB expansion drive, even though the drive had worked initially and it was behaving normally in File Explorer.

This issue may occur if any of the backup in the drive you are backing up is corrupted or the library is corrupted.

Please follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

1. Open File History and click Select Drive. Select a different drive other than the one that is failing to be recognized. you can consider adding an extra internal HDD to your PC in this situation.

2. Go to the external USB drive that wasn't being recognised, find the File History folder and rename it to "File History.old" or delete it.

3. Go to your C:\Users\your user folder\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows, find the File History folder and rename it "File History.old" or delete it.

4. Re-open File History, click Select drive and select the original USB drive that was not being recognised. The drive should now set up normally and start operating.

5. Delete the File History folder on the drive used in step 1

Method 2

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Also refer: What if something goes wrong in File History?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

(Note: Applies to windows 10)

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 14, 2018
  4. S.D.K Win User

File History does not back-up files held in the OneDrive folder even though physically held...

File History & OneDrive on Demand

I know that "files on demand" aren't saved on my computer. However, I still have the following problems:

• After starting a new File History backup from scratch (as suggested in the first response) the majority of my Onedrive , including almost all files that are marked as "Always Keep on this Device" are not backed up.
    • Even for files marked as "Files on Demand" - surely File History should be able to back them up anyway? The whole point of a good backup system is that you have copies of files in multiple places (and OneDrive's cloud system only counts as 1). The creation
      of the file history would be download heavy as it copies every file to my backup device, but after that it should only have to download single files as changes are made.

S.D.K, Oct 14, 2018
Thema:

1. File History does not back-up files held in the OneDrive folder even though physically held... - Similar Threads - File History does

2. Files being held hostage by OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files being held hostage by OneDrive?: Hello,I'm on Windows 11.I just got an external hard drive and I'm trying to put all my photos from my computer onto it.I go to copy drag and drop a folder from my computer's hard drive and I get a message 'there is not enough space on OneDrive. You need an additional 28.7 GB...
  3. Files being held hostage by OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files being held hostage by OneDrive?: Hello,I'm on Windows 11.I just got an external hard drive and I'm trying to put all my photos from my computer onto it.I go to copy drag and drop a folder from my computer's hard drive and I get a message 'there is not enough space on OneDrive. You need an additional 28.7 GB...
  4. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder: Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word and Excel documents I work with on my laptop. I am the only one who works on these files. I do a lot of Ctrl-S and Save As as...
  5. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder: Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word and Excel documents I work with on my laptop. I am the only one who works on these files. I do a lot of Ctrl-S and Save As as...
  6. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Keys being held down for longer than I physically held them. Please help!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keys being held down for longer than I physically held them. Please help!: For the past couple of weeks I have been having this problem with my laptop where after I let go of a key physically, the key I was holding down wouldn't stop. It has been happening very frequently and is making doing work and gaming very annoying. I have tried switching...
  8. Keys being held down not physically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keys being held down not physically: This problem started last week, around when I got a new corded keyboard for my laptop. When I hold down a key, then let go, the computer continues to act like the key is pressed, until I press it again. it is not pressed physically It doesn't happen every time but it does...
  9. Windows thinks keys are being held even though they're not

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows thinks keys are being held even though they're not: Once in a while, usually when I'm gaming, I will be pressing a key say, "w" and either: 1 My keyboard no longer realizes I'm holding the key, or 2 I stop pressing the key, but my keyboard thinks I'm still pressing it. This is annoying when playing games especially,...
  10. File History Not Reliably Backing Up All Changes In OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Not Reliably Backing Up All Changes In OneDrive Folder: I have been having a problem with File History not reliably backing up all changes in my OneDrive folder for several months and have yet to find a solution for it. I have my OneDrive folder selected as one to be backed up, but every time I run a backup, only some changes get...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file history not backing up onedrive

2. windows wont back up some files in onedrive

3. file history does not backup one drive

4. c:\users david one drive ducments will not back up,
  5. file history wont back up onedrive files,
  6. aisbackup will not backup onedrive,
  7. onedrive files not backing up with file history in windows,
  8. file history only backing up some onedrive files,
  9. filehistory does not copy onedrive