Windows 10: File History does not initiate on schedule

Discus and support File History does not initiate on schedule in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have recently started to use Windows Backup and File History. However I find that very often it does not initiate the backup automatically as per... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PradeepB£, May 21, 2020.

1. File History does not initiate on schedule

I have recently started to use Windows Backup and File History. However I find that very often it does not initiate the backup automatically as per the schedule and I always have to go in and do a "Backup now". Could you advise how this can be resolved?

:)

PradeepB£, May 21, 2020
  2. Jerry8AB Win User

File History - Does not turn off

Thanks again for your suggestion. Most of the items mentioned were mentioned in your previous post.

As I mentioned in my original post, File History shows history entries in my Task Schedule menu History listings even though I have turned it off. Now, I did notice one other entry in the History listing. The History listing said “Maintenance Mode.” So,
    I wonder if that mode reacts differently and rejects my File History Off and Task Schedule settings and lists File History listings under a different parameter. That may account for the history dates not agreeing with File History and Task Schedule dates.

Jerry

Jerry8AB, May 21, 2020
  3. Schedule time for File History backups?

I have 'File History' scheduled for 'Daily'. Please elaborate on when this scheduled 'Daily' File History backup runs. Can I control the schedule time? Also, I normally keep my File History backup drive disconnected. Does File History resume when I
    plug the drive back in. If not, why not?

Tony and NancyNugent, May 21, 2020
  4. File History does not initiate on schedule

File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, May 21, 2020
Thema:

File History does not initiate on schedule

1. File History does not initiate on schedule - Similar Threads - File History does

2. Task Scheduler History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Scheduler History: Several months ago I created a task. I need to go back and look at how I configured the task but I cannot seem to find it anywhere in the history. I have the option to show all history enabled but I still do not see it. Can anyone give me suggestions on locating this...
  3. Task Scheduler History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Scheduler History: Several months ago I created a task. I need to go back and look at how I configured the task but I cannot seem to find it anywhere in the history. I have the option to show all history enabled but I still do not see it. Can anyone give me suggestions on locating this...
  4. Task Scheduler History

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. File History will not perform back up as scheduled.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History will not perform back up as scheduled.: File History will not perform back up as scheduled. We have a scheduled back up for Friday at 3:00pm weekly. But the back ups haven't taken place for weeks. This is happening on two computers with external hard drives always attached. The drives are visible under File...
  6. File History will not perform back up as scheduled.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File History will not perform back up as scheduled.: File History will not perform back up as scheduled. We have a scheduled back up for Friday at 3:00pm weekly. But the back ups haven't taken place for weeks. This is happening on two computers with external hard drives always attached. The drives are visible under File...
  7. File History File Backup and Scheduling Issues

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History File Backup and Scheduling Issues: I just discovered File History is not backing up some OneDrive local folders. I've checked the folders can be accessed OK using Explorer. What should I check to ensure File History backs up all the folders? Note I use scheduled Reflect backups mainly and File History is only...
  8. File History File Backup and Scheduling Issues

File History File Backup and Scheduling Issues: I just discovered File History is not backing up some OneDrive local folders. I've checked the folders can be accessed OK using Explorer. What should I check to ensure File History backs up all the folders? Note I use scheduled Reflect backups mainly and File History is only...
  9. Should File History Schedule show up in Task Scheduler?

Should File History Schedule show up in Task Scheduler?: I've had issues with File History ever since upgrading to the Anniversary windows 10 Pro. I can manually Run File History. It also saves a few times a day, even though I have it set for the default 1 hour. Should there be an entry of some kind in Task Scheduler...
  10. File History Schedule

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File History Schedule: Does anyone know if it's possible to invoke the file history backup procedure for a certain time? I'd like to be able to configure it to backup over night only (i.e. at 2am) - but I can't find a way to be able to set it to certain time. 15604