Windows 10: File History does not recognize external hard drive since reformat

Discus and support File History does not recognize external hard drive since reformat in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; File History stopped backing up at some point was a single file name too long for it?. I reformatted my external hard disk, a WD My Book. Now File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by blue.pencil, Jan 9, 2023.

1. File History does not recognize external hard drive since reformat

File History stopped backing up at some point was a single file name too long for it?. I reformatted my external hard disk, a WD My Book. Now File History will not back up to it, despite it showing up in a list of possible external drives to back up to. I've tried using a free trial version of Backblaze too but it simply isn't backing up. Any suggestions?

:)

blue.pencil, Jan 9, 2023
  2. JimTapley Win User

File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on

An apparent update to Windows 10 caused File History to turn itself off. When trying to restart it, File History keep getting message "no external hard drive detected". Widows 10 shows the external disk working with no problems. When i tried to download
    data to the external hard drive with out File History on I get a Download Failed message with an error code 0X81000019

I cleaned and reformatted the disk but File History still does not recognize it.

Help How can i back up my data in Windows 10. I didn't recognize it at the time but when I recently tried to restore a missing file from my backup drive all the data on the backup drive had the same update dates of early November 2019. Windows 10 File History
    was working OK prior to that time.

JimTapley, Jan 9, 2023
  3. JimTapley Win User
    File History Baxckup not recognizing External hard drive

Scheduled backup stop working. Went to File History and found it had turned itself off. When trying to turn File History back on got message Could not recognize external drive. Tried reformating drive, called MS Support, nothing worked, so tied a different
    external drive and File History recognized it and started backup. Stopped backup and reinstalled old drive to see what would happen. This time File History recognized old drive and it is now working fine.

I originally thought there was a problem with the external drive but now it looks like the drive was OK and it took switching drives to wake File History up.

Has anyone else had this problem and does Microsoft Support or Development ever read these post to help identify bugs in the system.

JimTapley, Jan 9, 2023
  4. File History does not recognize external hard drive since reformat

Reformatting external hard drive for windows 10

Hi Anthony - thank you for the response but you misunderstood my question..... I currently have an external hard drive that I have been using on a windows 7 computer. I recently purchased a new windows 10 computer and connected my external hard drive
    to the new computer. The new computer did not recognize the external hard drive and instructed me to reformat the hard drive. If I reformat my external hard drive I will lose all of the files....and I dont want that to happen. I want to keep the files on
    my hard drive AND be able to use the external hard drive with my new windows 10 computer. How can I do that?

JohnO'Malley4, Jan 9, 2023
Thema:

File History does not recognize external hard drive since reformat

1. File History does not recognize external hard drive since reformat - Similar Threads - File History does

2. File History does not recognize external hard drive since reformat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History does not recognize external hard drive since reformat: File History stopped backing up at some point was a single file name too long for it?. I reformatted my external hard disk, a WD My Book. Now File History will not back up to it, despite it showing up in a list of possible external drives to back up to. I've tried using a...
  3. File History does not recognize external hard drive since reformat

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History does not recognize external hard drive since reformat: File History stopped backing up at some point was a single file name too long for it?. I reformatted my external hard disk, a WD My Book. Now File History will not back up to it, despite it showing up in a list of possible external drives to back up to. I've tried using a...
  4. Windows won't recognize reformatted hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows won't recognize reformatted hard drive: I recently cloned by hard drive onto an SSD which is now my C: drive. I then started the Windows installation process in order to reformat my hard drive. But now when I connect both the hard drive and the SSD to the motherboard my PC always tries to boot up from the hard...
  5. External Hard drive Not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive Not recognized: The device I am trying to install is an external hard drive I purchased from thee MAC store Backup Plus Portable Drive. I have tried all three methods stated above and non of them worked for me. In particular in regards to method 3 I have downloaded and installed the...
  6. File History Baxckup not recognizing External hard drive

File History Baxckup not recognizing External hard drive: Scheduled backup stop working. Went to File History and found it had turned itself off. When trying to turn File History back on got message Could not recognize external drive. Tried reformating drive, called MS Support, nothing worked, so tied a different external drive...
  7. File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on

File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on: An apparent update to Windows 10 caused File History to turn itself off. When trying to restart it, File History keep getting message "no external hard drive detected". Widows 10 shows the external disk working with no problems. When i tried to download data to the external...
  8. external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external hard drive not recognized: I had storage spaces From windows 8.1 that computer went down I moved Storage spaces to another computer. windows 10 machine. Everything works. I was able to Copy those files to another drives. now I want to reuse those drives but only let me rename it not to remove. I...
  9. external hard drive not recognized

external hard drive not recognized: I have two Western Digital 300GB, USB3, external drives. Suddenly both are not recognized by Windows. 1) Neither appear as a drive in File Explorer 2) Device Manager reports that the "device is working properly", and the drivers are up to date. There is a message in...
  10. Computer does not recognize external hard drive

Computer does not recognize external hard drive: Hi all,I googled this but I really can't find an answer,hear goes.I have 2 seagate external hard drives with all my movies and tv shows.I plug it into my dvd player and watch them on my smart tv.I bought a new one which says seagate external expansion drive.It is not...