Windows 10: File History does not see disk drive

Discus and support File History does not see disk drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I’m trying to set up and use Windows 10 File History for the first time. I go into Control Panel, File History, then Select drive, but only my D:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Roger-W, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Roger-W Win User

File History does not see disk drive

I’m trying to set up and use Windows 10 File History for the first time.

I go into Control Panel, File History, then Select drive, but only my D: drive (an internal SSD) and 3x network shares (on external NAS) appear on the list of drives recognised by File History. It does not see my F: drive, a Storage Spaces-managed two-way mirrored pair of internal hard-disk drives. This is the issue.

I can use Windows File Explorer to access the F: drive normally, Disk Management reports F: as a Healthy Primary Partition, and files in folders on F: are normally accessible, including my F:\Onedrive folder, and I have run a successful error check on F: with no problems reported.

Also, I should mention that I had a similar problem that has impacted on my use of the Acronis True Image (2020 Build 22510) program to backup files from my C: drive to the F: drive. Acronis reports 'Error 0xb0428: The backup location was not found on the destination drive' where this destination drive is F:\Backups. I reported this fault to Acronis yesterday before investigating the potential of Windows File History for backing up my files, and experiencing today’s File History problem.

Could the File History and Acronis problems are caused by one and the same underlying fault?

My PC is running Windows 10 Home x64 version 1903 Build 18362.476

Thanks in advance for your help to solve this puzzle.

Roger-W

:)

Roger-W, Nov 26, 2019

2. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Nov 26, 2019
  3. File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Nov 26, 2019
  4. File History does not see disk drive

File History Drive

I am still confused with File History setup

• How much space should I allocate for the File History Drive ?
    • Can I have it on an 'Exclusively and Distinguishably named' drive on another Physical Hard disk ?
    • I can see that the File History is 'Off' in my system.
    • From the image below I can see that ? the files are being copied ? to the
      RAM Disk
      whose size is only 4 GB.
    • I also understand that files are being copied to the RAM Drive temporarily because the File History is Off.
    • Is 4 GB enough ?
    • If it is enough I think I should be happy with what is happening because a RAM Disk will work faster. ( But 'is speed a must' here in this scenario ?)

File History does not see disk drive 036b7593-37b1-4356-bbeb-4cd735aba907.jpg

• Whrn Iclick to turn File History on the image given below is the answer:

File History does not see disk drive 2119e8b4-c9a9-4cd0-8ded-636d2a8b22ef.jpg

• Pleawse advise

Dr. Abdul Rasheed. K., Nov 26, 2019
Thema:

File History does not see disk drive

1. File History does not see disk drive - Similar Threads - File History does

2. File History can't see external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History can't see external hard drive: File History can no longer see my external hard drive, 4tb WD My Passport. I have used this drive previously with file history on this very computer and on my laptop so I know it can work. A little while ago I decided to temporarily stop using File History, but now when I try...
  3. File History drive

File History drive: I keep getting reminders to reconnect my File History drive but I dont know how to do this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/a235d77c-2a4a-44ab-a636-059ad866d9d1
  4. File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on

File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on: An apparent update to Windows 10 caused File History to turn itself off. When trying to restart it, File History keep getting message "no external hard drive detected". Widows 10 shows the external disk working with no problems. When i tried to download data to the external...
  5. Cannot see File History in backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot see File History in backup to external drive: Hello, I use a WD My Passport to do backups for my HP laptop. I use Windows 10 Home edition. When I did a backup recently, I did not see my File History in there. It just showed a System/Disk? image on the backup drive and some other file ending in .cat. I keep all of my...
  6. File History Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History Drive: I keep getting a Dialog Box saying my File History Drive was disconnected for too long. How do I reconnect it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/442571f2-fe20-44be-8691-d86db17a37d6"
  7. File history drive

File history drive: I try to do a back-up but keep getting "reconnect file history drive". I use a 64G memory stick but nothing works. HELP?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/34bd6a18-5ded-4c05-81c3-6c41f0b751a4
  8. File History won't recognise disk drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File History won't recognise disk drives: I've installed a new SSD. It's listed in Device Manager and when I click on the drive a message tells me that the device is working properly. However, when I go into File History and search for a drive I'm told that, "No usable drive was found." The new drive does not appear...
  9. file history drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    file history drive: can anyone help me to rehook up my file history drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-drive/52df8658-6058-4a94-acf4-83ce852d6d00
  10. File History Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Drive: Hello, Can anyone tell me how to stop a maintenance message"file history drive has been disconnected too long-reconnect drive"from displaying. I only connect my WD Passport drive backup drive once a month and do not need to be be informed that it is disconnected. Thanx...