Windows 10: File History Does Not Work

Discus and support File History Does Not Work in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, For the past few days, File History on my Windows 10 Home 20H2 has stopped working. In Settings, "Back up options" opens after a noticeable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Aksa8, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Aksa8 Win User

File History Does Not Work

Hi,

For the past few days, File History on my Windows 10 Home 20H2 has stopped working.

In Settings, "Back up options" opens after a noticeable delay and displays the size of my back-up as zero bytes with the message' "Your data is not yet backed up".

On clicking "Back up Now", a "Cancel" button appears after a few seconds with no back up having taken place.

On clicking "Advanced options" and clicking on "Run Now", an error message gets displayed, "We can't copy files to your File History Drive; Failed to initiate user data back-up Error 80070005".

I had even contacted MS Support tier 1 and gone through a remote PC access session but the problem persists.

I'd be grateful to receive advice.

AKS

:)

Aksa8, Feb 17, 2021

2. File History won't work, says insufficient space

Hi,

It is possible that the user profiles are also being restored when restoring your files in
    File History. We suggest that you manually choose the files you want to restore. Here are the steps:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • Search for File History.
    • Click the Restore personal files option on the left pane of your screen.
    • Select the folders you want to restore and then click the restore icon.
    Note: Make sure that you don't copy the duplicated folders listed.

Feel free to get back to us if you need further assistance.

Jamille Nar, Feb 17, 2021
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Feb 17, 2021
  4. #Jon# Win User

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

1. File History Does Not Work - Similar Threads - File History Does

2. File History Not Working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History Not Working: So on my Windows 10 PC, I turned on File History on a USB Drive. Then I tried turning it off because the File History folder took up a lot of storage USB Drive was meant for small files. I kept on trying but it wouldn't work and gave an error message. Then I tried to delete...
  3. file history does not seem to be working correctly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file history does not seem to be working correctly: This past June I got an update that killed my file history backups to my NAS I have spent many hours since trying to get it functioning correctly again. Prior, I was backing up three drives. On my NAS' folder, I had three drive letters plus $of. It took forever for the...
  4. How does Back up using File History work?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How does Back up using File History work?: Hello, I would like to start using Back up using File History on Windows 10 and I had a couple of questions that I could not answer using the official pages. 1. If I select either a partition from a separate internal HDD or one from an external USB HDD, does File History...
  5. File History does not initiate on schedule

File History does not initiate on schedule: I have recently started to use Windows Backup and File History. However I find that very often it does not initiate the backup automatically as per the schedule and I always have to go in and do a "Backup now". Could you advise how this can be resolved?...
  6. File History not working

File History not working: New PC, copied all data from old PC (ie didn't run Backup/Restore of old PC data). No problem until I tried (and failed) to get File History working. The program runs but only saves fragmentary 'bits' of the new PC. When I review the files (ie Documents) I get the msg 'File...
  7. "Until space is needed" in File History does not work

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    "Until space is needed" in File History does not work: "Until space is needed" in File History is selected but does not work. There is now 0 space free in the external drive. I have repeatedly had this problem. By the way, I have seen Microsoft suggest running SFC and DISM to solve this problem. I have run those and they have...
  8. File History not working

File History not working: I have Windows 10 installed on 2 PCs, with setups that are very similar to each other. On No. 1 PC, I have successfully set up File History to back up selected folders. However, although I have set up File History identically on No. 2 PC (and have selected folders for...
  9. Restore Files in File History not working

Restore Files in File History not working: On July 12, I activated File History and set it to backup Daily. Since then I made changes to a document on July 13 and again on July 14 for testing purposes, but when I went to restore an earlier version of that document on July 14 I only saw the July 12 version. I then...
  10. File History does not backup Desktop

File History does not backup Desktop: Using Goodsync - 2 evenings wasted trying to fix File History - no more 20201