Windows 10: File History: Element Not Found Error on Windows 10 May 2004

Discus and support File History: Element Not Found Error on Windows 10 May 2004 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Using Windows 10 May 2004 edition with a brand new install of File History on two different machines now, I have managed to run into the following... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mike-E_wins, Jun 22, 2020.

1. File History: Element Not Found Error on Windows 10 May 2004

Using Windows 10 May 2004 edition with a brand new install of File History on two different machines now, I have managed to run into the following issue.

Selecting Clean up versions, then "Clean up":

File History: Element Not Found Error on Windows 10 May 2004 8f4d0862-ae85-414f-8d80-19fd93128482?upload=true.png

I get the following dialog:

File History: Element Not Found Error on Windows 10 May 2004 98f82947-b318-4ecc-81bf-701e05410d00?upload=true.png

Again, this is on two different machines, with a clean install.

Note that I am using a simple folder with a 4KB file within it, although I first saw this on a fully-configured install with about 1.5TB worth of data within it. This led me to diagnosing the issue and ultimately trying it on these two separate machines with a clean install.

Is this a known issue for 2004?

Thank you for any assistance/context/insight you can provide!

:)

Mike-E_wins, Jun 22, 2020
  2. MikeEEE Win User

Encountering "Element not found" on File History Cleanup

Hello all,

Setting up File History here, and I am encountering an error that I wanted to post here and see if there's anyone that can assist.

I am running Windows 10 2004 and setting up a clean install of File History -- meaning no folders except for one with a file in it -- I get an error when attempting to run "Clean up versions" more than once:

"Could not clean up File History data -- Element not found."

(Note that the first time I click "Clean up versions" it results in a "We didn't find any versions of your files that were that old")

FWIW I encountered this issue with a full install/synchronization of my files, but even when I reduce the configuration to a simple folder with a file in it this error still occurs.

Is this a known issue? If I put more data/files in the folder and/or edit data that is in there, I still get this error. It makes me wonder if the catalog is already corrupt. Again this is from a clean install, already having wiped the FileHistory folder in AppData.

Any suggestions/insight here would be appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, I have reproduced this on another 2004 machine on which File History was never activated. On this image I have screen capture installed, for your convenience:

File History: Element Not Found Error on Windows 10 May 2004 [​IMG]

In this case, I didn't get a "We didn't find any versions..." message, and it went straight to the error:

File History: Element Not Found Error on Windows 10 May 2004 [​IMG]

Is this a known/unknown bug in 2004, perhaps?

MikeEEE, Jun 22, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 22, 2020
  4. File History: Element Not Found Error on Windows 10 May 2004

Backing up Windows 10. Error "File history drive cannot save copies of all my files because of limitations with my File History drives file system"

Hi,

To assist you better, please answer the below:

• Did you make any hardware or software changes prior to this issue?

• What is the anti-virus program installed on your computer?

• Please provide us a screenshot which shows the error message.
    I suggest you to stop File History service, restart the computer and then set it as Automatic from the services and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Steps:-

1. Press Windows key + R and openRun command window.

2. Type services.msc and hit
    Enter.

3. Right click on File History from the list.

4. Select Stop. Restart the computer and repeat the first three steps.

5. Click on Properties and set the set
    Startup type to Automatic.

6. Click on Apply and
    Ok.

Also, I suggest you to try the below steps and configure the drive on File History and check if it helps.

Steps:-

1. Type File History in the search box, and then tap or click
    File History.

2. Tap or click Select drive.

3. On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
    OK.

Refer the steps given in the below articles and check if it helps:

File History in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17128/windows-8-file-history

Note: This also applies to Windows 10

Backup and restore your files

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17143/windows-10-back-up-your-files

Hope it helps. Revert to us with the results, will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

File History: Element Not Found Error on Windows 10 May 2004

1. File History: Element Not Found Error on Windows 10 May 2004 - Similar Threads - File History Element

2. How to fix the "element not found" error in File History on Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix the "element not found" error in File History on Windows 11?: Hi, So suddenly in Windows 11. When attempting to erase old filehistory backups, filehistory displays this message: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DWCAvMe4F87HXfGkZ1rqWJWOpMYcwe8f/view?usp=sharing Things I have tried, check and repair the disk, no errors. Sfc scannow, no...
  3. How to fix the "element not found" error in File History on Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix the "element not found" error in File History on Windows 11?: Hi, So suddenly in Windows 11. When attempting to erase old filehistory backups, filehistory displays this message: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DWCAvMe4F87HXfGkZ1rqWJWOpMYcwe8f/view?usp=sharing Things I have tried, check and repair the disk, no errors. Sfc scannow, no...
  4. File History, "element not found"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History, "element not found": Going back at least two years: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-element-not-found-when-clean-up-old/761eea3d-0ee1-4a4e-a9fd-9bd14546a175?page=1I did some experimenting and it appears that:When the backup drive reaches full capacity ...It...
  5. File History, "element not found"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History, "element not found": Going back at least two years: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-element-not-found-when-clean-up-old/761eea3d-0ee1-4a4e-a9fd-9bd14546a175?page=1I did some experimenting and it appears that:When the backup drive reaches full capacity ...It...
  6. File History, "element not found"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Fix File History Element Not Found error on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix File History Element Not Found error on Windows 10: [ATTACH]File History is a feature in Windows 10 that creates versioned backups of files and folders specified by the user or all files and folders on your computer if you don’t specify. As the backup grows in size and you start running out of space, you will eventually have...
  8. FILE HISTORY ELEMENT NOT FOUND . Is there a fix for this problem ??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FILE HISTORY ELEMENT NOT FOUND . Is there a fix for this problem ??: FILE HISTORY ELEMENT NOT FOUND . Is there a fix for this problem ?? I can't get file history to review and delete older file versions on win 10. It works perfectly on my wife's PC, even though running from outwards appearances. the same win 10 version. I've tried all the...
  9. FIle History: Element not found when clean up old files since 2004/20H2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    FIle History: Element not found when clean up old files since 2004/20H2: Hi, this request is similiar to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/file-history-element-not-found-error-on-windows-10/d7043300-9efe-4d83-ab6b-f71812981ca2 Other then he say, an In-place Upgrade did not solve the issue did from 2004 to 20H2....
  10. Encountering "Element not found" on File History Cleanup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Encountering "Element not found" on File History Cleanup: Hello all, Setting up File History here, and I am encountering an error that I wanted to post here and see if there's anyone that can assist. I am running Windows 10 2004 and setting up a clean install of File History -- meaning no folders except for one with a file in it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wondows 10 file history click not found

2. file history element not found