Windows 10: FIle History: Element not found when clean up old files since 2004/20H2

Discus and support FIle History: Element not found when clean up old files since 2004/20H2 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, this request is similiar to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Morku, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Morku Win User

FIle History: Element not found when clean up old files since 2004/20H2

Hi,

this request is similiar to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/file-history-element-not-found-error-on-windows-10/d7043300-9efe-4d83-ab6b-f71812981ca2

Other then he say, an In-place Upgrade did not solve the issue did from 2004 to 20H2.

I am using file history since it was introduced in Windows 8 and it was always working as expected until 2004 arrived.

This is my configuration:

• I am using a networkdrive connected with SMB, so the path to backup is \\diskstation\Sicherung ASRock
    • The NAS is is a Synology Diskstation DS218+
    • my settings are to backup every 1 hour does work and clean up files obsolote files automatically after 1 month does not work anymore
    • I am only backup folders from my D: drive not the userfiles in the Default settings

So since file history does not delete files older than 1 month, when I want clean it manually, I get the "Element not found" error.

Troubleshooting steps:

• I stoped and enabled file history -> same issue
    • I deleted the file history files and start again -> same issue
    • I also delete all file history backup files and also reseted the file history with the help of that: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/54999-reset-file-history-default-windows-10-a.html -> same issue
    • Today I did the In-Place upgrade. I used the official 20H2 MVS ISO file, started again a new file history from beginning and tried the option again -> but it's the same issue

So when we can expect a fix here?

No, I can't use the Feedback Hub, because it force me to enable Telemtry.

:)

Morku, Oct 21, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Encountering "Element not found" on File History Cleanup

I have two machines that were updated from 1909 to 2004. One has had File History set up and running for years, starting in version 1607. Previously a Feature Update had stopped File History working, I had to stop using then reconnect the history drive before it would work again. I was impressed by the 2004 update, File History just continued working without a hiccup.

On that machine however many times I clean up versions it always says 'We didn't find any versions of your files that were that old'.

However, the other machine that updated to 2004 had never used File History before. When I set that up to use File History then try to clean up I get the same 'Element not found' message that you see.

3. Mike-E_wins, Oct 21, 2020
  4. MikeEEE Win User

Encountering "Element not found" on File History Cleanup

Hello all,

Setting up File History here, and I am encountering an error that I wanted to post here and see if there's anyone that can assist.

I am running Windows 10 2004 and setting up a clean install of File History -- meaning no folders except for one with a file in it -- I get an error when attempting to run "Clean up versions" more than once:

"Could not clean up File History data -- Element not found."

(Note that the first time I click "Clean up versions" it results in a "We didn't find any versions of your files that were that old")

FWIW I encountered this issue with a full install/synchronization of my files, but even when I reduce the configuration to a simple folder with a file in it this error still occurs.

Is this a known issue? If I put more data/files in the folder and/or edit data that is in there, I still get this error. It makes me wonder if the catalog is already corrupt. Again this is from a clean install, already having wiped the FileHistory folder in AppData.

Any suggestions/insight here would be appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, I have reproduced this on another 2004 machine on which File History was never activated. On this image I have screen capture installed, for your convenience:

FIle History: Element not found when clean up old files since 2004/20H2 [​IMG]

In this case, I didn't get a "We didn't find any versions..." message, and it went straight to the error:

FIle History: Element not found when clean up old files since 2004/20H2 [​IMG]

Is this a known/unknown bug in 2004, perhaps?

- - - Updated - - -

Wow I am surprised that no one has replied to this. Can someone with 2004 installed confirm that this does not happen to them? Thank you for any assistance you can provide to appeasing my sanity. *chuckle

MikeEEE, Oct 21, 2020
Thema:

1. FIle History: Element not found when clean up old files since 2004/20H2 - Similar Threads - FIle History Element

2. what can i do to clean up file history data when the element is not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what can i do to clean up file history data when the element is not found: I have only tried the file history clean up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-can-i-do-to-clean-up-file-history-data-when/50d2f796-09aa-4ae3-9e7b-128109252eb9
  3. what can i do to clean up file history data when the element is not found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what can i do to clean up file history data when the element is not found: I have only tried the file history clean up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-can-i-do-to-clean-up-file-history-data-when/50d2f796-09aa-4ae3-9e7b-128109252eb9
  4. Could not clean up file history data. Element not found.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could not clean up file history data. Element not found.: Hi, I'm trying to clear my file history, but I keep getting this frustrating error. I don't know what is causing it; and it doesn't seem to have any error code or error log file, making it very difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. I have tried everything to fix it. I have...
  5. Could not clean up file history data. Element not found.

Could not clean up file history data. Element not found.: Hi, I'm trying to clear my file history, but I keep getting this frustrating error. I don't know what is causing it; and it doesn't seem to have any error code or error log file, making it very difficult to pinpoint the exact cause. I have tried everything to fix it. I have...
  6. Could not clean up file history data. Element not found.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. File History, "element not found"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History, "element not found": Going back at least two years: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-element-not-found-when-clean-up-old/761eea3d-0ee1-4a4e-a9fd-9bd14546a175?page=1I did some experimenting and it appears that:When the backup drive reaches full capacity ...It...
  8. File History, "element not found"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History, "element not found": Going back at least two years: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-element-not-found-when-clean-up-old/761eea3d-0ee1-4a4e-a9fd-9bd14546a175?page=1I did some experimenting and it appears that:When the backup drive reaches full capacity ...It...
  9. File History, "element not found"

10. File History: Element Not Found Error on Windows 10 May 2004

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History: Element Not Found Error on Windows 10 May 2004: Using Windows 10 May 2004 edition with a brand new install of File History on two different machines now, I have managed to run into the following issue. Selecting Clean up versions, then "Clean up": [ATTACH] I get the following dialog: [ATTACH] Again, this is on...