Windows 10: File history exists on a separate drive but can't be seen after clean install of w10.

Discus and support File history exists on a separate drive but can't be seen after clean install of w10. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello and Happy New Year, all! My girlfriend's PC was intermittently freezing after upgrading from w7 to w10 so I decided to do a clean install of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RobertGraham4, Jan 10, 2021.

1. File history exists on a separate drive but can't be seen after clean install of w10.

Hello and Happy New Year, all!

My girlfriend's PC was intermittently freezing after upgrading from w7 to w10 so I decided to do a clean install of w10. I first did both a FH backup and copied the c: drive contents, just in case, to a physically separate drive d:. I was following clean install instructions posted on this site. Install went fine but now I can't restore the File History from the d: drive. File Explorer shows the History Files ARE there but using w10 Restore process can't see them for some reason. It sees the drive and will write new FH data to the same drive but when I try to update from an older backup even, the History file I know is there does not show to choose from.

I have searched this site and many others for a solution yet nothing I have tried has been successful so far.

Any help will be much appreciated as I have been working this for about a full day now.

Cheers

PS: While typing this out, I remembered that I physically disconnected the d: dive during the clean install process, so it could not possibly be affected. Could this be the reason and will I need to reinstall w10 with both drives connected? I really hope not.

:)

RobertGraham4, Jan 10, 2021

2. File History Drive Full - Now What

Hi Don,

File History drive usually contains older versions of Windows on your PC. To clean your File History drive, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Open the Control Panel (small icon view), and then click on the
      File History.
    • On the left pane, click on Advanced settings.
    • Click on the Clean up versions link in the Versions
      section. Note: The Clean up versions link will not be available if you don't have any File History versions available on currently selected drive.
    • Select the time period of versions you want to delete, and then click on
      Clean up
    • File History Cleanup will now start discovering items for the specified time period, and delete them if available.
    • If it didn't find any versions of your files that were that old, click on Close, and repeat step 4 above using a shorter time period if you like.
      If the cleanup completed successfully, click on OK.
    • You can now close If the cleanup completed successfully, click/tap on OK.
    • You can now close the windows.

Let us know if the steps above helped you to resolve your concern.

Janeane Cru, Jan 10, 2021
  3. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Jan 10, 2021
  4. File history exists on a separate drive but can't be seen after clean install of w10.

File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

File history exists on a separate drive but can't be seen after clean install of w10.

1. File history exists on a separate drive but can't be seen after clean install of w10. - Similar Threads - File history exists

2. File History won't clean older file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History won't clean older file history: I haven't been to file history for awhile. That's a good thing, right?! Recent viewing shows a very large file. With any attempt to 'clean up versions' through 'advanced settings', it responds with the message #1 shown below. As far as I am aware, everything has been closed....
  3. File History won't clean older file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History won't clean older file history: I haven't been to file history for awhile. That's a good thing, right?! Recent viewing shows a very large file. With any attempt to 'clean up versions' through 'advanced settings', it responds with the message #1 shown below. As far as I am aware, everything has been closed....
  4. File History won't clean older file history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Having two separate issues with file history: a finalization issue -- and an issue cleaning...

Having two separate issues with file history: a finalization issue -- and an issue cleaning...: On the latest version of windows 10 and using an USB drive for File History... which has space on it... and it actually works in restoring files, I've tested it... but... I digress...Issue A:This one may not be a big deal but it may be related to "Issue B"...In the file...
  6. I had to clean reinstall W10 but I have a previous system with separate hard drives for W10...

I had to clean reinstall W10 but I have a previous system with separate hard drives for W10...: Hello community, I hope everyone is doing well. I had to clean reinstall Windows 10 but in my previous system I choose to have a SSD for Windows 10 + apps and a high capacity HDD for data storage which include the User Account folder. What will be the best praxis for...
  7. Clean install of Windows 10 over existing W10 OS

Clean install of Windows 10 over existing W10 OS: I need to do a clean install of windows 10. My existing computer has it installed and works fine but will not update. I have a recovery drive and disk but keep getting error messages when I try to reinstall. At this point I would like to wipe my new SSD and do a clean install...
  8. Clean install after upgrading to W10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean install after upgrading to W10?: It appears that I have to upgrade install w10 to get the free W10. After that, is it possible to clean install the W10 in place of the W10 install upgraded from W7 or W8.1? 9204
  9. Clean Install of Windows 10 - Data on separate Drive

Clean Install of Windows 10 - Data on separate Drive: I have a PC with two HDs. I have some corrupted OS files and will be re-installing Windows 10 as a clean install. Presently, the OS in on the smaller drive and I have the OS set so that data is stored on the second larger drive. I am replacing the smaller drive with SSD on...
  10. Clean install with existing key

Clean install with existing key: I have my Windows 10 Pro since it was available. It was upgrade from Windows 8.1 pro. I want to do clean install in a few days/weeks with the same key. 2 reasons for this: 1. I cannot pass the November update (10586) - I have tried all tips available (even MS rep spent 6+...