Windows 10: File History has created a duplicate directory?

Discus and support File History has created a duplicate directory? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm using File History to backup to an NAS. I noticed two days ago a duplicate directory has been created on the NAS at: > ThisPC > Data (\\NAS) (L:)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ixodid, Sep 13, 2019.

1. ixodid Win User

File History has created a duplicate directory?

I'm using File History to backup to an NAS. I noticed two days ago a duplicate directory has been created on the NAS at:

> ThisPC > Data (\\NAS) (LFile History has created a duplicate directory? :) > sxxxe

So now in that location I have:

JAY-DESKTOPDELL
    JAY-DESKTOPDELL (2)

Why is there now a duplicate directory and how do I make it stop?

Possibly relevant info: At approximately the time that new directory appeared, I had turned off and then back on File History because it was no longer backing up.

Windows 10 Pro x64

:)

ixodid, Sep 13, 2019

2. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

Hi Calvin,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

File History will not create duplicates instead it will save the newer versions of files that you modify to your files that are being backed up; so that if the originals are lost, damaged, or deleted, you can restore them. You can also browse and restore
    different versions of your files.

If you don't want any older versions of files, then you can use
    File History Cleanup
    at any time to delete the versions of files and folders older than a selected age, except the most recent version of a file or folder. All other files and folders, such as versions that were excluded or removed from your libraries,
    are also deleted from your File History.

You can follow the below steps to delete the versions of files from File History to save the space on your backup drive.

1. Go to Control Panel in
      icons view > Click on File History > Click on
      Advanced settings on the left side.
    2. Click on Clean up versions under
      Versions
      section > Then, select the time period of versions you want to delete and click on
      Clean up.
    3. File History Cleanup will start discovering items for the specified time period and delete.

Shafeeq_Khan, Sep 13, 2019
  3. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

I know what File History is supposed to do and I don't have problem with File History creating versions.

I know that when I tried to use File History with Windows 8.1 it created unnecessary duplicates, not versions, of files that hadn't changed and filled up my backup drive for no reason.

My question still is did Microsoft ever fix File History so it only does what it's supposed to do?

I wasn't able to find the answer by searching.

CalvinEHilton, Sep 13, 2019
  4. Frick Win User

Finding duplicate files

Hey hey,

During the years the backups have just accumulated in random places, essentially, and I would like to clean up. Is there a program that can search for duplicate files? And by that I mean identical files. I tried dupeGuru, but that somehow found ... all files to be identical I guess? Like how a bunch of jpg's with different names, sizes and locations being marked 100% identical, or how a bunch of xls-files with completely different everything also were 100% matches with each other. I don't need any fancy functions, just a list of the files that share the name and filesize and created/last write dates.

Frick, Sep 13, 2019
Thema:

1. File History has created a duplicate directory? - Similar Threads - File History has

2. Duplicate Files in C:Users\Owner directories ???

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate Files in C:Users\Owner directories ???: This is for a Windows10 desktop running Office 365. The C: drive is a smaller SSD drive while the D: drive is a 1TB drive I use for all my file storage including D:Onedrive Pictures; Documents; Movies; Music; etc. I sync all my OneDrive data with the "cloud". I noticed...
  3. Windows 10 - File Explorer creates duplicate directory on file download

Windows 10 - File Explorer creates duplicate directory on file download: When I am downloading files, in the file explorer save dialog, it seems that a phantom duplicate directory is created at the bottom of the top directory listing when I download the next file. I then have to either save to the phantom new directory, or scroll to the real...
  4. Windows 10 - File Explorer creates apparent duplicate directory on file download

Windows 10 - File Explorer creates apparent duplicate directory on file download: When I am downloading files, in the file explorer save dialog, it seems that a phantom duplicate directory is created when I download the next file. The focus is then placed upon this new directory. In Example: I have a top directory, with several sub directories. The...
  5. Duplicate backups maintained in File History.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Duplicate backups maintained in File History.: My computer is names "MYCOMPUTER". Why does File History maintain a Folder called "MYCOMPUTER" under folder "USER" which is under folder "FILEHISTORY", and hen another folder "MYCOMPUTER" on the backup drive. It looks like a duplicate....
  6. Duplicate File Directories & Their Contents

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate File Directories & Their Contents: I just noticed that several directories in my documents folder have been duplicated exactly including the contents. I have tried to delete these duplicate directories but then my shortcuts no longer work. The backup that I made just 2 days ago does not have these duplicates....
  7. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?: I tried to use File History under Windows 8.1 but gave up because it filled up my backup drive with unwanted duplicates of files that didn't change. Has Microsoft solved this problem for Windows 10.? Currently running 1803. ***Moved From: Windows 10/Files, folders, &...
  8. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?: I tried to use File History under Windows 8.1 but gave up because it filled up my backup drive with unwanted duplicates of files that didn't change. Has Microsoft solved this problem for Windows 10.? Currently running 1803....
  9. File History Not Copying All Files and Directories

File History Not Copying All Files and Directories: I have windows 10 version 1803, and noticed today that the directory structure set up on my external hard drive by File History is different to the directory structure it is supposed to be copying across, in that there are many sub-directories missing. Some of the missing...
  10. File History - Duplicates

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History - Duplicates: So I've become suspicious on why my 3TB HDD all of a sudden has got around 900GB left, even though I have around 300GB of user data (Most not updated regularly). So I turn to file history and try to figure out what the hell is going on and have realized this thing is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 file history duplicate folders