Windows 10: File History has quit backing up

Discus and support File History has quit backing up in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Build 19041.746 The last backup was 1/3/2021, when I click [Back up now] it says "Backing up your data ..." for about 10 seconds, I update to 2004 in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by rboppy, Jan 31, 2021.

1. rboppy Win User

File History has quit backing up

Build 19041.746

The last backup was 1/3/2021, when I click [Back up now] it says "Backing up your data ..." for about 10 seconds, I update to 2004 in November and FH has worked up until 1/3/2021.

I've been using Macrium but I would like to FH back, any suggestions?

:)

rboppy, Jan 31, 2021
  2. #Jon# Win User

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Jan 31, 2021
  3. ALN
    ALN Win User
    Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up

Steve. Thanks for the info! Since re-setting the Options in FH seems to have fixed it, I plan to leave well enough alone. But will definitely try your suggestion if it quits working again.

On a more general question: Is there a better Auto Backup application than File History? I don't care about historical versions of any files - only current version in case my hard drive fails. I prefer it to be on my external hard drive (not cloud), and free is always good!

4. File History has quit backing up

File History does not back up blocked files.

Hi Philrosenberg,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Since when are you facing this?
    • Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    • Do you get any error message or error code on the screen code?
    As of now I suggest you follow the steps mentioned in the link below.

What if something goes wrong in File History?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

Note: Steps for Windows 8.1 are also applicable on Windows 10.

Please get back to us with a reply so that we can assist you better.

Nachappa C K, Jan 31, 2021
Thema:

File History has quit backing up

1. File History has quit backing up - Similar Threads - File History has

2. Error Backing Up with File History

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error Backing Up with File History: I have just started the first backup yesterday. It worked fine, but now I removed two folders from the backup set and now when I try to back up I get this error....
  3. Back up using File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Back up using File History: Hi thereI have a portable Samsung external hard drive attached to my computer which I use for backup purposes.However File History does not recognise it as a usable drive. When I click on 'add a drive' in Back Up it says 'no usable drives found'. How can I make it recognise...
  4. File History back up not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History back up not working: Hi, Firstly, does any one know if Windows 10 Back up File History remains a focus for the Windows team? The UI is kinda clunky to say the least. I have been trying to use Back up but haven't had any success. If I right click on FileHistory on the external drive and choose...
  5. Backing up using File History

Backing up using File History: If I back up using File History to an external storage, will it erase the existing data on the external storage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-up-using-file-history/4126a239-ea5d-4b3d-84be-7a8dca371d5b
  6. back up vs. file history

back up vs. file history: Win 10 back up/ file history https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-vs-file-history/caea7853-64bd-4aba-bbc6-8799cc5e64d3
  7. File history back up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history back up.: Hi, when I back up file history to an external drive it does not save my picture library. I have used different drives but no pictures are saved. I do have a one drive account as well but would love to get my pictures on an external drive just in case. Any ideas? Cheers,...
  8. Back-up and File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up and File History: I use Windows 10 Back-up and I swap between 2 Passport Drives every month so as to put one at a time safely away from the PC. Trouble is, whenever I Add A Drive, the default settings are Back Up Hourly and Keep Forever. And to back up folders I never use like Saved Games and...
  9. File history/ Back-up

File history/ Back-up: I accidentally deleted my recovery partition and now I get an error saying check back-up settings. How can I re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-back-up/83dfd074-f1b6-4cfc-8d02-4e0945a155de
  10. File history has quit working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history has quit working: I have my File History set for every 12 hours, and keep for 1 month, it has been working since June or July, so I check it once a week to verify that it's still working. It stopped last week, right after I checked it. All the settings are the same, any ideas? 64693