Windows 10: File History - How to move a backed up folder [Win10]

Discus and support File History - How to move a backed up folder [Win10] in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; [Windows 10 - 19041.685] Hi, how do I move a folder being monitored (backed up) by File History? Eg: 1. Folder A on drive C: is backed up by File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by leodf, Jan 2, 2021.

1. leodf Win User

File History - How to move a backed up folder [Win10]

[Windows 10 - 19041.685]

Hi,

how do I move a folder being monitored (backed up) by File History?

Eg:
    1. Folder A on drive C: is backed up by File History.
    2. I move Folder A to drive D:
    3. File History doesn't keep track of the move and no longer backs up Folder A.

How do I do the move while keeping the File History backup intact?

[BTW. Moving the default folders like 'Pictures', 'Documents', 'Videos', automatically updates the new location in FH. But this doesn't seem to happen for regular folders.]

Thanks

:)

leodf, Jan 2, 2021

2. WIN10 File History Does Not Back Anything Up

When I first used File History (FH) under Win10 (an upgrade from Win8.1), it worked, sending its backups to a MyCloud storage device. I then removed folders from the 'backup list' that I did not want to have backed up. Eventually, I got the list down to
    just the folder that contains all of the files for all of the user ids on my PC. At that point, FH stopped working -- it would run for a long time, and then give me a folder display with the message THIS FOLDER IS EMPTY and 0 ITEMS.

When I manually start the backup, it says that the backup size is 40.1GB, so I assume that FH is looking at
    something. How can I find out why File History is not backing anything up?

Bill's Lenovo, Jan 2, 2021
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Win10 File History - Not backing up specified folders

I am trying to setup File History on my new machine.

Question 1

I went into the options dialog. There are a whole bunch unwanted folders in the backup list. Presumably because they are "libraries". Fine, I selected them and deleted them. When I closed the dialog and returned later, so had the folders I deleted.

Is there any way to permanently delete them from the backup list?

Question 2

Since I couldn't find any way to permanently delete them, I explicitly added them to the exclude list.

Is this the only option?

Question 3

There is one folder that I am trying to add to the exclude list, but it just wont' add, or when it sometimes adds, it later evaporates. I end up iwth a half GB of files I don't want' backed up wasting space on my History drive.

What am I doing wrong? What wrong assumption am I making?

Question 4

Most of the folders in my Include list that I really want backed up, are not being backed. Could this be because they are subfolders of a folder in the exclude list. ie

Include

D:\level 1\level 2a

D:\level 1\level 2b

Exclude

D:\level 1

So bottom line, right now File History looks good on paper, but is proving to be a waste of my time and money (for the backup drive).

Help would be appreciated.

Rohn007, Jan 2, 2021
  4. ALN
    ALN Win User

How to remove folders from File History

That does not work. Even though I do the delete from the "Back up these folders" from the list, it still backs it up - and when I close out of Settings and then go back in, the folder re-appears in the list.

However, Mila's suggestion worked. Is it possible that folders in my Library cannot be removed from the "Back up these folders" list?

Thema:

1. File History - How to move a backed up folder [Win10] - Similar Threads - File History move

2. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder: Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word and Excel documents I work with on my laptop. I am the only one who works on these files. I do a lot of Ctrl-S and Save As as...
  3. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder: Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word and Excel documents I work with on my laptop. I am the only one who works on these files. I do a lot of Ctrl-S and Save As as...
  4. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. File history back up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history back up.: Hi, when I back up file history to an external drive it does not save my picture library. I have used different drives but no pictures are saved. I do have a one drive account as well but would love to get my pictures on an external drive just in case. Any ideas? Cheers,...
  6. File History Did Not Back Up Intended Folders...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Did Not Back Up Intended Folders...: I enabled File History to back up two folders to my NAS. Both folders are in C:\Files\ and they are the only two folders listed under Back up these folders. I clicked the Back up now button and it backs up C:\Users\[username]\Apple\MobileSync\Backup\ . Any ideas why this...
  7. Back-up and File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up and File History: I use Windows 10 Back-up and I swap between 2 Passport Drives every month so as to put one at a time safely away from the PC. Trouble is, whenever I Add A Drive, the default settings are Back Up Hourly and Keep Forever. And to back up folders I never use like Saved Games and...
  8. File history/ Back-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history/ Back-up: I accidentally deleted my recovery partition and now I get an error saying check back-up settings. How can I re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-back-up/83dfd074-f1b6-4cfc-8d02-4e0945a155de
  9. W10 File History not backing up selected folders

W10 File History not backing up selected folders: Been having trouble with my WD external drive backup s/w, it keeps losing track of its external drive, so I decided to simply try using W10 File History to manage things. First, I have installed a SSD and migrated my OS there (as C:/), then formatted and set up all libraries...
  10. Moving File History Folder

Moving File History Folder: I have my File History on a physical internal hard drive that is now almost completely full. I wanted to know if I could move the entire fie history to a newer and much larger drive? I understand I can create a new File History drive but I'm assuming in doing this I will...