Windows 10: File History - how to restore to a new computer from the old computer's File History

Discus and support File History - how to restore to a new computer from the old computer's File History in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My Surface suffered a failure and was exchanged for a new one under warranty. I have the File History on an external drive. I want to restore that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Vizsla_Sue, Sep 24, 2020.

1. File History - how to restore to a new computer from the old computer's File History

My Surface suffered a failure and was exchanged for a new one under warranty. I have the File History on an external drive. I want to restore that File History to my new computer. How can I do this?

I have read a number of articles and MS Support have sent me links, but all of them talk about restoring File History for that computer back to the same computer. My issue is the File History I want to recover is Desktop_old1234, but the only file it will allow me to use is Desktop_new1234.

I have tried changing the name of the old file to the new, that didn't work. The new computer points back to the files it created. I can't access the old File History without first registering the drive, which then means the system writes a File History for the new computer.

I can see and select the file I want by going Win+r Run type Control, enter, opens Control Panel -> System and Security -> File History, select the file to restore. However it reverts to the New file. How can I get it to restore from the old file?

Thanks

:)

Vizsla_Sue, Sep 24, 2020

2. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Sep 24, 2020
  3. Smiley1 Win User
    Restoring from File History created on old computer to a new computer

I'm thinking this should be easy, but it isn't turning out that way.

Computer A is dying, has a current File History. I am setting up Computer B and I want to use File History on B to restore from A. Instead, B can't see A's File History and just insists on creating its own. I don't want it to corrupt the backup on A's history

So the File History of A is on an external drive. I connect the external drive to B and go to File History. B just wants to write a File History of B and can't see the ones created by A.

Help, please!

Or am I just better off copying everything to an external drive and then copying it back to the new laptop?

Smiley1, Sep 24, 2020
  4. Tleo Win User

File History - how to restore to a new computer from the old computer's File History

File History in Windows 10 will not restore files from old PC to new PC

I used file history to back up my files from my surface pro 3 to an external hard drive. I damaged my surface pro 3 and got a new computer, a surface pro 4.

I turned on File History on my new pro 4 so I could move my files on the external HD from my old computer to the hard drive to my new computer. File History proceeded to back up my new computer to the hard drive so I now have two sets of backup files
    - one from my old computer and one from my new computer.

The problem is I that I cannot get File History to restore the files from my old computer to my new computer. When I try to restore the old files on the external HD to my new computer File History will only look at the backups it made of the new computer

Looking at the directory structure on the external HD there are the two sets of backup files under the top directory as shown below:

E:\FileHistory\myname\name_of_new_computer\

E:\FileHistory\myname\name_of_old_computer\

How can I get File History to read and restore the files from my old computer on my external drive to my new computer?

Thema:

File History - how to restore to a new computer from the old computer's File History

1. File History - how to restore to a new computer from the old computer's File History - Similar Threads - File History restore

2. Use old computer Windows 10 File history to restore files to new Windows 11 Computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use old computer Windows 10 File history to restore files to new Windows 11 Computer: My old Windows 10 computer died, but I do have an external drive with file history backup. When I try to use file history on the new Windows 11 computer the instructions for file history start setting up a new file history backup instead of recovering from an old one. Is...
  3. Use old computer Windows 10 File history to restore files to new Windows 11 Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use old computer Windows 10 File history to restore files to new Windows 11 Computer: My old Windows 10 computer died, but I do have an external drive with file history backup. When I try to use file history on the new Windows 11 computer the instructions for file history start setting up a new file history backup instead of recovering from an old one. Is...
  4. Use old computer Windows 10 File history to restore files to new Windows 11 Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. restore files onto a new computer with file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    restore files onto a new computer with file history: how do I restore files onto a new computer from file history on an external back-up disc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-files-onto-a-new-computer-with-file/cbe9de9d-8ac2-4174-83b7-cfe07ea4a85d
  6. restore files onto a new computer with file history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    restore files onto a new computer with file history: how do I restore files onto a new computer from file history on an external back-up disc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-files-onto-a-new-computer-with-file/cbe9de9d-8ac2-4174-83b7-cfe07ea4a85d
  7. restore files onto a new computer with file history

8. File History New Computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File History New Computer: I have a my files backed up to a NAS drive from my old computer using File History. I then tried to restore the latest backup to my new computer using Restore. The new PC recognized the correct drive on the NAS and Its started perfectly but did not complete. When I...
  9. How to restore files to a new computer using file history

How to restore files to a new computer using file history: Hi. When we try to restore the files, the new computer says that there is no File History folder on the external drive, even though this folder is visible in File Explorer. It's as though the computer can't recognise the File History folder. We've set up the Administrator...
  10. Restoring from File History created on old computer to a new computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Restoring from File History created on old computer to a new computer: I'm thinking this should be easy, but it isn't turning out that way. Computer A is dying, has a current File History. I am setting up Computer B and I want to use File History on B to restore from A. Instead, B can't see A's File History and just insists on creating its...