Windows 10: File History Image File

Discus and support File History Image File in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I created a image file in file history. I wanted to restore it to another laptop of same size and I got an error concerning the drives did not match... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by shipinomore10, Apr 6, 2016.

1. File History Image File

I created a image file in file history.
    I wanted to restore it to another laptop of same size and I got an error concerning the drives did not match the image file.
    from what I can tell the question that I answered was restore the drives concerning windows operation.
    on the laptop that I was going to restore it to had about four more drives. since I had done an upgrade in the beginning I figured that they were from windows 7 or 8.1
    I could not did not see a place to add exclusions to list the drives and also in disk mgmt. some do not have drive letters to even identify them.
    any thoughts on were I can get more instructions on file history operation or what I might do?
    Thank You
    Shipinomore

:)

shipinomore10, Apr 6, 2016

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Apr 6, 2016
  3. how do I restore files from file history after system image restore.

i took system image backup in september.

file history backups continue through october.

had to restore september system image in november.

when I use file history restore to recover october files file history restore doesn't find them although they are in the file history data file.

paidilukous, Apr 6, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

File History Image File

RE : I created a image file in file history. I wanted to restore it to another laptop of same size and I got an error concerning the drives did not match the image file.

Using Win 10 built-in File History to create System Image file in computer A can NOT be used on another computer.
    Does not work that way. Sorry.
    .................................................................................................... ....................................................................................................
    Please wait a bit and many members will introduce you to their "de facto " macrium reflect.
    They will also help you solving the rest of the problem.

Good luck.

davidhk, Apr 6, 2016
  5. Thank You davidhk. I also use Reflect and have done the deploy option to move to different hardware. I was trying keep everything microsoft but it doesn't work out that way.
    shipinomore

shipinomore10, Apr 6, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.

Windows provides us with "basic" tools.
    If we want more features etc, we will have to employ 3rd party apps.
    It all depends on what are your needs.

davidhk, Apr 6, 2016
  7. davidhk this somewhat off topic but I am in a mess. did the restore of an image then the deploy all went ok however the hard drive in the new laptop is drive G which was the the image file and everything is there but how can I change the drive letter over to C:
    I am trying to figure out how to word this all up to send to Macrium
    Shipinomore

shipinomore10, Apr 7, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

File History Image File

I do not use Macrium Reflect.

If you want to use Macrium reflect, forget about system image backup from file history.
    Please start a new thread and ask the experts who use the program.
    Sorry, I can't help you.

davidhk, Apr 7, 2016
  9. thank you . shipinomore

shipinomore10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

File History Image File

1. File History Image File - Similar Threads - File History Image

2. File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History: File History seems to have stopped working. I've tried backing up from my PC W10, 21H1 version to two Passports. Each time I get the "run now" message, then a message only a few seconds later that the back-up is complete, but the total TB/GB amount free figure on the Passport...
  3. File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History: I have Windows 11 and cannot find the previous Windows 10 setup page that allowed inclusion of desired files as well as the removal of those not needed by the user. All it appears to do is to save files chosen by the program, most of which I don't need and cannot erase. Can...
  4. File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History: I have Windows 11 and cannot find the previous Windows 10 setup page that allowed inclusion of desired files as well as the removal of those not needed by the user. All it appears to do is to save files chosen by the program, most of which I don't need and cannot erase. Can...
  5. backup, file history, and image file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup, file history, and image file: I want to backup my entire computer to an external hard drive. I want to add new files and programs to the external drive every so often, but the drive will remain disconnected from my computer. Microsoft answers gave three different ways to do so, but after looking at the...
  6. system image and file history

system image and file history: I have two computers running windows 10 can I store a system image and file history for each computer on a single portable hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-and-file-history/36443901-9026-456b-8717-e1b31ded2559
  7. File History vs System Image Backup

File History vs System Image Backup: Hi! I have a question regarding File History vs System Image Backup, that I haven't been able to find online unfortunately. System Image Backup is something that I understand can be scheduled to ones needs, daily, weekly or so forth, and can be done on specific folders...
  8. File History, Image Backup

File History, Image Backup: File History image backup fails to complete as of last Windows update. However, Backup & Restore (Windows 7) image backup works correctly. As a result the backup is on the external hard drive, but I get Notifications on waking up the computer " Check your Backup". File...
  9. File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History: Hi. Hope I have posted this in the correct forum - I could not find a 'Backup & Restore' page. I have just purchased a NAS drive and I am going to enable Windows 10 to backup to this using File History. My question is, how does windows store these files? For...
  10. System Image and file history

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image and file history: I am backing up to a new seagate 1tb external drive. I mainly want to back up file history, which is turned on, but I think it is also doing a system image back up as a default. Taken about 4 hours and using more space than files and folders etc. Is this a once only system...