Windows 10: File History in Windows 10 Pro will not restore files from old Surface RT to new Surface

Discus and support File History in Windows 10 Pro will not restore files from old Surface RT to new Surface in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I used file history to back up my files from my original model Surface to an external hard drive. The battery from the original had died and the unit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlanLloyd3, Jan 23, 2020.

1. File History in Windows 10 Pro will not restore files from old Surface RT to new Surface

I used file history to back up my files from my original model Surface to an external hard drive. The battery from the original had died and the unit would only work when the power was connected. Someone kindly gave me a later model Surface running Win 10 Pro. I used File History to back up the files on the original Surface.

I turned on File History on my new Surface so I could move my files on the external HD from my old computer to the hard drive to my new computer. File History proceeded to back up my new computer to the hard drive so I now have two sets of backup files - one from my old computer and one from my new computer.

The problem is I that I cannot get File History to restore the files from my old computer to my new computer. When I try to restore the old files on the external HD to my new computer File History will only look at the backups it made of the new computer

Looking at the directory structure on the external HD there are the two sets of backup files under the top directory as shown below:

E:\FileHistory\myname\name_of_new_computer\

E:\FileHistory\myname\name_of_old_computer\

How can I get File History to read and restore the files from my old computer on my external drive to my new computer?

:)

AlanLloyd3, Jan 23, 2020
  2. Tleo Win User

File History in Windows 10 will not restore files from old PC to new PC

I used file history to back up my files from my surface pro 3 to an external hard drive. I damaged my surface pro 3 and got a new computer, a surface pro 4.

I turned on File History on my new pro 4 so I could move my files on the external HD from my old computer to the hard drive to my new computer. File History proceeded to back up my new computer to the hard drive so I now have two sets of backup files
    - one from my old computer and one from my new computer.

The problem is I that I cannot get File History to restore the files from my old computer to my new computer. When I try to restore the old files on the external HD to my new computer File History will only look at the backups it made of the new computer

Looking at the directory structure on the external HD there are the two sets of backup files under the top directory as shown below:

E:\FileHistory\myname\name_of_new_computer\

E:\FileHistory\myname\name_of_old_computer\

How can I get File History to read and restore the files from my old computer on my external drive to my new computer?

3. Brink Win User
    Updates for Surface Studio and Surface Pro with LTE Advanced - June 28 Surface

Source: Updates for Surface Studio and Surface Pro with LTE Advanced (28 June 2018) Surface

See also:

Brink, Jan 23, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

File History in Windows 10 Pro will not restore files from old Surface RT to new Surface

Updates for Surface Studio and Surface Pro with LTE Advanced - June 28

Source: Updates for Surface Studio and Surface Pro with LTE Advanced (28 June 2018) Surface

See also:

Brink, Jan 23, 2020
Thema:

File History in Windows 10 Pro will not restore files from old Surface RT to new Surface

1. File History in Windows 10 Pro will not restore files from old Surface RT to new Surface - Similar Threads - File History Pro

2. MICROSOFT RT SURFACE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MICROSOFT RT SURFACE: Hi, I have a surface RT which is primarily in Chinese, I tried so many times to download English pack but still it won't work. It will still be displayed in Chinese only, I need help with screenshots if possible. Thank you in advance...
  3. MICROSOFT RT SURFACE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MICROSOFT RT SURFACE: Hi, I have a surface RT which is primarily in Chinese, I tried so many times to download English pack but still it won't work. It will still be displayed in Chinese only, I need help with screenshots if possible. Thank you in advance...
  4. Surface RT upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface RT upgrade: So I just picked up a used Surface RT but somehow it has Windows RT 10 installed, I guess someone unoficially upgraded it. Now thats fine and all, but I how do I revert it to Windows RT 8.1? It's running real slow with 10 and its a pain to do the simplest tasks. I've tried...
  5. Surface RT upgrade

Surface RT upgrade: So I just picked up a used Surface RT but somehow it has Windows RT 10 installed, I guess someone unoficially upgraded it. Now thats fine and all, but I how do I revert it to Windows RT 8.1? It's running real slow with 10 and its a pain to do the simplest tasks. I've tried...
  6. upgrade surface rt to windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade surface rt to windows 10?: Is it possible to upgrade surface rt to windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-surface-rt-to-windows-10/4f52ae5b-48a3-4643-83b4-ddd20b067e8a
  7. upgrade surface rt to windows 10?

upgrade surface rt to windows 10?: Is it possible to upgrade surface rt to windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-surface-rt-to-windows-10/4f52ae5b-48a3-4643-83b4-ddd20b067e8a
  8. File History - how to restore to a new computer from the old computer's File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History - how to restore to a new computer from the old computer's File History: My Surface suffered a failure and was exchanged for a new one under warranty. I have the File History on an external drive. I want to restore that File History to my new computer. How can I do this? I have read a number of articles and MS Support have sent me links, but...
  9. Windows 10 for surface RT and 2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 for surface RT and 2: I think that Microsoft should release a version of windows 10 for windows 8.1 RT seeing as they have discontinued support for a lot of apps that people running windows 8.1 one app is skype as I have not been able to log into it since early 2017. in my mind if a company is...
  10. No Windows 10 update for Surface RT

in Windows 10 News
    No Windows 10 update for Surface RT: Microsoft will not be releasing full updates of its new Windows 10 operating system for any of its Surface devices running Windows RT or Windows RT 8.1. However, the company has confirmed that it is working on a limited update for Surface devices using Windows RT, which...