Windows 10: File History is not backing up my work

Discus and support File History is not backing up my work in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have been using File History to back up my work every 1/2 hour. The backups are being written to a shared folder on a NAS. I check periodically to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by perkinw, Jun 3, 2020.

1. perkinw Win User

File History is not backing up my work

I have been using File History to back up my work every 1/2 hour. The backups are being written to a shared folder on a NAS. I check periodically to make sure my files are being backed up and have not noticed any problems until now.

I have been doing a lot of work in one particular folder, so I decided to make sure that my work was being backed up. The last file written by File History to the NAS in that folder is dated 5/21/2020, nearly two weeks ago. Meanwhile, files in other folders nearby are being backed up. So it's not like File History isn't working. It's just not noticing changes in a particular directory (there may be others, but this is the one I checked).

If File History is so untrustworthy, does tenforums recommend an alternative? I already use Macrium Reflect for making regularly-scheduled system images. I know Macrium images are browsable, but I like the concept of almost continuous backup, like File History is supposed to do.

Windows 10 Version 1903 OS Build 18362.836

:)

perkinw, Jun 3, 2020
  2. #Jon# Win User

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Jun 3, 2020
  3. File History does not back up blocked files.

Hi Philrosenberg,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Since when are you facing this?
    • Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    • Do you get any error message or error code on the screen code?
    As of now I suggest you follow the steps mentioned in the link below.

What if something goes wrong in File History?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

Note: Steps for Windows 8.1 are also applicable on Windows 10.

Please get back to us with a reply so that we can assist you better.

Nachappa C K, Jun 3, 2020
  4. ALN
    ALN Win User

Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up

Steve. Thanks for the info! Since re-setting the Options in FH seems to have fixed it, I plan to leave well enough alone. But will definitely try your suggestion if it quits working again.

On a more general question: Is there a better Auto Backup application than File History? I don't care about historical versions of any files - only current version in case my hard drive fails. I prefer it to be on my external hard drive (not cloud), and free is always good!

Thema:

1. File History is not backing up my work - Similar Threads - File History backing

2. Error Backing Up with File History

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error Backing Up with File History: I have just started the first backup yesterday. It worked fine, but now I removed two folders from the backup set and now when I try to back up I get this error....
  3. Back up using File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Back up using File History: Hi thereI have a portable Samsung external hard drive attached to my computer which I use for backup purposes.However File History does not recognise it as a usable drive. When I click on 'add a drive' in Back Up it says 'no usable drives found'. How can I make it recognise...
  4. File History back up not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History back up not working: Hi, Firstly, does any one know if Windows 10 Back up File History remains a focus for the Windows team? The UI is kinda clunky to say the least. I have been trying to use Back up but haven't had any success. If I right click on FileHistory on the external drive and choose...
  5. Backing up using File History

Backing up using File History: If I back up using File History to an external storage, will it erase the existing data on the external storage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-up-using-file-history/4126a239-ea5d-4b3d-84be-7a8dca371d5b
  6. File History Back Up Stopped Working

File History Back Up Stopped Working: My File History Back up has stopped working. I have disconnected and reconnected my external back up drive and restarted my computer. When I ask it to do a back up NOW it says it's doing it but nothing happens and it then says "Your data is not yet back up". How do I get...
  7. back up vs. file history

back up vs. file history: Win 10 back up/ file history https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-vs-file-history/caea7853-64bd-4aba-bbc6-8799cc5e64d3
  8. File history back up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history back up.: Hi, when I back up file history to an external drive it does not save my picture library. I have used different drives but no pictures are saved. I do have a one drive account as well but would love to get my pictures on an external drive just in case. Any ideas? Cheers,...
  9. Back-up and File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up and File History: I use Windows 10 Back-up and I swap between 2 Passport Drives every month so as to put one at a time safely away from the PC. Trouble is, whenever I Add A Drive, the default settings are Back Up Hourly and Keep Forever. And to back up folders I never use like Saved Games and...
  10. File history/ Back-up

File history/ Back-up: I accidentally deleted my recovery partition and now I get an error saying check back-up settings. How can I re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-back-up/83dfd074-f1b6-4cfc-8d02-4e0945a155de