Windows 10: File History is not keeping my backups up-to-date

Discus and support File History is not keeping my backups up-to-date in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm new to Windows 10. I turned on File History and selected a network device (a NAS) as the destination. I set "Backup my files" to "every hour" and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by perkinw, May 23, 2019.

1. perkinw Win User

File History is not keeping my backups up-to-date

I'm new to Windows 10. I turned on File History and selected a network device (a NAS) as the destination. I set "Backup my files" to "every hour" and "Keep my backups" to "forever."

The backups have been running for several days now. My PC runs at least 12 hours a day, so there has been plenty of time for File History to back up my files. The NAS runs 24x7. I can see now that there is a CIFS connection to the Backups shared folder, and I can hear the NAS churning away.

Everything seemed to be going smoothly until I did a closer check of the files being written to the NAS. A number of files and folders that I created yesterday or the day before are missing from the backup. The Event Viewer log has events from the most recent "top of the hour" (which is when I assume my hourly backups run). The events are errors related to pdf files (not sure why), but nothing to indicate other abnormalities.

I stopped and restarted File History. I did a "Backup now." But the backup remains incomplete.

EDIT: within the last hour, I see that File History is catching up with those recent folders. I don't know if it was because I poked it by stopping and restarting, or by doing a Backup Now. But for now, I'll mark the problem as solved.

:)

perkinw, May 23, 2019

2. File History does not backup automatically

Hi,

Thank you for writing us back.

I would suggest you to go through the below steps:

• Press Windows key+I.

• Click on Update and security.

• On the left pane, click on backup and select on under automatically back up my files.

• Click on more option under on button.

• Select every hour (default) under back up my files.

• Select forever (default) under keep my files.

Also refer the link below link and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

Also work in Windows 10

I hope this helps. Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Shubham Chaubey, May 23, 2019
  3. Windows 10 file history/backup date range options ??

Ruth Buruga --

I think you misunderstood my question.

It is a question about creating a NEW file history, not about using an old one.

My point about the old backups is that I already have copies of older files.

I want to create a NEW file history in which ONLY FILES MODIFIED MORE RECENTLY THAN A GIVEN DATE are sent to the history, and the older files ignored.

Any help appreciated.

Neal

NealScribner, May 23, 2019
  4. File History is not keeping my backups up-to-date

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, May 23, 2019
Thema:

File History is not keeping my backups up-to-date

1. File History is not keeping my backups up-to-date - Similar Threads - File History keeping

2. File History and backup to a NAS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History and backup to a NAS: I have been trying to use file history in Windows 10 to back up to my NAS. It works to backup everything but the documents which it refuses to do unless an alteration has been made to the document. I have looked at other advice on the community pages and everything suggested...
  3. Backup Using File History

Backup Using File History: I use File History in Win 10 to back up my files to a 500GB WD My Passport portable hard drive. I also use WD SmartWare installed from the WD drive to back up my files. This seems redundant and maybe overkill. Is it safe to rely solely on File History which would allow...
  4. File History, Image Backup

File History, Image Backup: File History image backup fails to complete as of last Windows update. However, Backup & Restore (Windows 7) image backup works correctly. As a result the backup is on the external hard drive, but I get Notifications on waking up the computer " Check your Backup". File...
  5. Problem with file history backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Problem with file history backup: I cannot change the drive for FILE HISTORY. I have been able to remove the old drive but although the drive I want is listed, clicking it has no effect. Is FILE HISTORY of much use anyway? I have not bothered with it before, and when I look at what has been saved it seems...
  6. Backup and Restore with File History

Backup and Restore with File History: I'm backing up using file history. If I indicate a folder structure such as c:\Users, do all subordinate or child folders and files contained therein get backed up. I tried a test of this and it does not seem to do the backup. Is there a switch somewhere that I'm missing?...
  7. Backup using file history

Backup using file history: I am attempting to backup to my external drive using file history, I have done this many times before with no problem, but now it would appear file history does not see my external drive leaving a Red X after the drive name. Not had any problem before & I am using the same...
  8. Windows keeps telling me my file history backup device is disconnected.

Windows keeps telling me my file history backup device is disconnected.: I can't run a file history backup but I can run an windows image backup which I've done. Windows tells me my device is disconnected but it's not. It also tells me backups run faster on a usb 3.0. I only have 2.0. I don't get it. it's a WD external hard drive, 4tb and the...
  9. Backup file history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup file history: How do I set up File History to back up to an external hard drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backup-file-history/2809c456-e34a-47f9-93ab-ea6c9188fd03"
  10. File History Backup Options

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Backup Options: Hi, I have a two part question. First, I turned on File History the first of the month, set the 'Back up my files' to daily and it now reports that the last backup was on 5/9/2016, about a week after I set it up, and viewing the data seems to support that, nothing dated...