Windows 10: File history making unnecessary copies

Discus and support File history making unnecessary copies in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; W10 File History backs up all files instead of changed files only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlexWilliams8, Jan 29, 2019.

1. File history making unnecessary copies

W10 File History backs up all files instead of changed files only

:)

AlexWilliams8, Jan 29, 2019
  2. Draclvr Win User

File History Making Multiple Copies of Files

I am unable to find a question addressing my issue. Upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro last summer. Finally got around to setting up File History. When I checked my 1 TB external drive, I found File History was making copies of my documents,
    pictures etc. every hour as I left it set to default. Unfortunately, it makes a new copy of EVERYTHING every hour... at the end of the day, my drive was consumed with over 600 GB of File History data.

I have deleted the file several times and turned File History on and off and changed the interval. Whatever interval it is, File History just make another new copy of everything.

This is the only computer in the house and it is not connected to a Homegroup. Any suggestions?

Draclvr, Jan 29, 2019
  3. Draclvr Win User
    File History Making Multiple Copies of Files

So, neilpzz's suggestions did not work. Does anyone else have any suggestions for why my File History keeps making multiple copies of files every hour - or whatever interval I have specified. Like all day long... In one day, my 1 GB exterior drive had
    over 600 GB of data on it - all copies.

Draclvr, Jan 29, 2019
  4. File history making unnecessary copies

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Jan 29, 2019
Thema:

File history making unnecessary copies

1. File history making unnecessary copies - Similar Threads - File history making

2. file history not copying from Libraries

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file history not copying from Libraries: File History doesn't copy folders from Libraries. Resetting File History didn't help. Any thoughts?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-not-copying-from-libraries/a66d48f9-639e-4e60-b834-65846eb89963
  3. file history not copying from Libraries

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file history not copying from Libraries: File History doesn't copy folders from Libraries. Resetting File History didn't help. Any thoughts?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-not-copying-from-libraries/a66d48f9-639e-4e60-b834-65846eb89963
  4. file history not copying from Libraries

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. File History vs Copy & Paste

File History vs Copy & Paste: I am currently using a copy and paste method for backing up my hard drives to EHD devices. I have to split my data between 2 EHD devices because of the large amount of data. If I copy and paste the biggest folders, it can take over 12 hours to copy each of the four. If I...
  6. File History Backup making multiple copies

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Backup making multiple copies: Have a 1TB BU external drive that I noticed was getting filled up.<br>Found one of the problems in my "File History" where I saw multiple copies of the same data.<br>I've attached a small sample of one section of "File History" and the "Properties of 1 of the multiple files,...
  7. "unnecessary files"?

"unnecessary files"?: Hello Everyone: Today I do " Disk Cleanup". It processed very slow, it seems that there are too many file to clean. Later, the window said: The Disk Cleanup utility is cleaning unnecessary files on your machine....
  8. File history deleting only copies

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File history deleting only copies: Hello! I'm using file history to back up my files, I have it set to back up every hour and keep for 3 months, but I was looking though the files and it turns out it deleted the only copies of files that haven’t been edited because it was older then 3 months, so now a bunch...
  9. Can Win10 Make More Than One Copy of File History?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can Win10 Make More Than One Copy of File History?: Can I make more than one copy of Windows File History? I currently save my File History backups to an external hard drive. I was wondering if I could also save a second File History to a USB "thumb" drive? I could use the external hard drive to save a File History once...
  10. File History Not Copying All Files and Directories

File History Not Copying All Files and Directories: I have windows 10 version 1803, and noticed today that the directory structure set up on my external hard drive by File History is different to the directory structure it is supposed to be copying across, in that there are many sub-directories missing. Some of the missing...