Windows 10: File History missing files

Discus and support File History missing files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Summary: My File History seems to be missing files. I have File History on. When I go to Restore Personal Files, I don't see all directories and if I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RossC, Jul 9, 2020.

1. RossC Win User

File History missing files

Summary: My File History seems to be missing files. I have File History on. When I go to Restore Personal Files, I don't see all directories and if I search for a file, not all files are found although some in missing directories do.

Details on missing subdirectories:

Bring up Restore Personal Files

Go into OneDrive - Personal

!!! Only 1 folder shows
    Expect: All 10+ folders in my OneDrive to show. Am I not supposed to see my entire folder structure on each day?

I have confirmed that all folders in OneDrive are downloaded to my computer and not just online

Note: If I search for some but not all files in other folders in OneDrive, I can sometimes find them. I expect the File History Restore view to always show my entire current folder structure. Is this not right?

Details on missing files:

Bring up Restore Personal Files

Search for a file

!!! File not found

Confirmed the file in OneDrive has been on my computer for months. Other files are missing while some other newer files can be found in Search

Expect: All files on my computer should be found on Restore Personal Files.

:)

RossC, Jul 9, 2020

2. File History on/off status issues

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Are you able to access your missing Email files on Web mail?
    2. Which drive was selected to set up your back up on file history?

Probably the files might have been deleted when you perform the cleanup operation.

However, you may try the suggested steps to recover files from file History.

Restore files from File History

You may also refer this

Video link
    for more information regarding restoring files.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Jul 9, 2020
  3. #Jon# Win User
    File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Jul 9, 2020
  4. GDEC_343 Win User

File History - Files missing from backup

Thanks for your reply but that article outlines the steps I have already taken.

I have performed a restore from my File History drive and many files are missing.

GDEC_343, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

1. File History missing files - Similar Threads - File History missing

2. File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History: File History seems to have stopped working. I've tried backing up from my PC W10, 21H1 version to two Passports. Each time I get the "run now" message, then a message only a few seconds later that the back-up is complete, but the total TB/GB amount free figure on the Passport...
  3. File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History: I have Windows 11 and cannot find the previous Windows 10 setup page that allowed inclusion of desired files as well as the removal of those not needed by the user. All it appears to do is to save files chosen by the program, most of which I don't need and cannot erase. Can...
  4. File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History: I have Windows 11 and cannot find the previous Windows 10 setup page that allowed inclusion of desired files as well as the removal of those not needed by the user. All it appears to do is to save files chosen by the program, most of which I don't need and cannot erase. Can...
  5. File History Restore is Missing Many Files!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Restore is Missing Many Files!!!: I am running Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 5 2017 in a strictly controlled corporate environment. We've had many problems with these Surface Pro machines dying on us, and so a few months ago, I decided I wanted to protect my many important files from a hardware malfunction....
  6. Back up files missing in File History

Back up files missing in File History: I need to restore all files from my back up drive. I can see them all sitting there, however when I go into File History to restore them, I cannot see them there, only a couple of folders with documents I have been working on in the past couple of days. Is there another...
  7. Why am I missing files in "File History"?

Why am I missing files in "File History"?: I noticed yesterday that my File History said it was running, but "files last copied" was about a month ago. I have done some things in the last month so I thought that was odd. I decided to do the "Run Now" to force it to make file history. It reported that it had run....
  8. Build 18963 File History Missing files

Build 18963 File History Missing files: I am running Windows Insider Build 18963 and File History is missing files. Thanks, Tony https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/build-18963-file-history-missing-files/9cf9914f-1372-4164-b9d5-f99c4c090efd
  9. Some folders are missing in File History

Some folders are missing in File History: I have a strange issue because I can find some folders in Properties but File History panel doesn’t show them. How can I make them visible from the Control Panel?...
  10. File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History: Hi. Hope I have posted this in the correct forum - I could not find a 'Backup & Restore' page. I have just purchased a NAS drive and I am going to enable Windows 10 to backup to this using File History. My question is, how does windows store these files? For...