Windows 10: File History new setup doesn't work

Discus and support File History new setup doesn't work in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Setup file history new per instructions I found online. Pretty straight forward select folders, select a drive, set frequency, tell it to perform first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by listerinfiji, Oct 13, 2020.

1. File History new setup doesn't work

Setup file history new per instructions I found online. Pretty straight forward select folders, select a drive, set frequency, tell it to perform first backup. All went fine and initial backup was created, and I could view required files in the Previous Versions tab of folder properties.

Checked back a few hours later and noticed no backup of files had occurred since the initial backup.

System log is giving me:
    "Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\myusernamehere\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config"

Followed suggestion online to simply try setting up file history again from scratch. Now on the screen where I select drive I'm getting:
    "Could not re-associate with File History data. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"

One potential stumbling block I should mention is that I'm backing up to another internal harddrive (not my C: drive/ not the drive that I'm backing up from).

However everything I read about Windows 10 File History seems to suggest it's a rubbish product that often doesn't work as it should, and most links I'm finding with solutions are on official MS forums where replies are just blindly pasting back articles to the question and nothing ever seems to get resolved for the people who have the issue.

From my point of view, I simply have one folder (and all its contents) on my PC that I want to backup several times every day, much in the same way Shadow Copies/Previous Versions used to function in Windows 7 which always worked perfectly. I genuinely don't care if I use Windows 10 File History or not... All I care about is that I can achieve this requirement and that I don't have to spend any money on additional software (I'm fine using something 3rd party, just not spending money on something I feel Windows should be doing natively).

Can anybody either help me get this poor excuse for internal Windows software to work, or alternatively suggest something which will meet my requirements instead?

:)

listerinfiji, Oct 13, 2020
  2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

File History new setup doesn't work [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Oct 13, 2020
  3. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Oct 13, 2020
  4. File History new setup doesn't work

Double Tap doesn`t work on Lumia 620

Hello,

Double Tap to wake doesn`t work at my Lumia 620. I have all on in settings but still doesn`t work. I`m pretty sure that in update AMBER or BLACK this function works properly. But after DENIM update doesn`t. Maybe you are planning some update for this future
    ?

Thanks

Mariusz

MariuszBluma, Oct 13, 2020
Thema:

File History new setup doesn't work

1. File History new setup doesn't work - Similar Threads - File History setup

2. File History Error Message File History doesn't recognize this device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Error Message File History doesn't recognize this device: File history says my back up external drive is disconnected. It is connected. I've tried switching USB ports, updating USB drivers, renaming the external drive letter, using an entirely different external drive with a different drive letter, formatted the external drive,...
  3. File history doesn't seem to work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File history doesn't seem to work: I have file history running and it says it has backed up but when I look at the files on my external hard drive, they all show as last modified about three months ago....
  4. File history doesn't seem to work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File history doesn't seem to work: I have file history running and it says it has backed up but when I look at the files on my external hard drive, they all show as last modified about three months ago....
  5. File history doesn't seem to work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Clipboard history doesn't work?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clipboard history doesn't work?: When I hit windows key + v, I can't get clipboard history working. At most it brings up blank gray screen. I've checked settings, disabled/enabled it. Checked GPO, checked registry, ran sfc /scannow. Nothing has worked... Any suggestions? submitted by /u/anon2734 [link]...
  7. File History apparently was not working after initial setup

File History apparently was not working after initial setup: I have a Windows 10 64-bit desktop with several internal drives: C: SSD with OS D: old HDD that used to host OS, now a backup E: RAID1 pair F: RAID1 pair I upgraded the C drive to SSD March of 2018, but before doing so, I saved a system image backup to D, and set up...
  8. File History not working

File History not working: New PC, copied all data from old PC (ie didn't run Backup/Restore of old PC data). No problem until I tried (and failed) to get File History working. The program runs but only saves fragmentary 'bits' of the new PC. When I review the files (ie Documents) I get the msg 'File...
  9. File History not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History not working: I have Windows 10 installed on 2 PCs, with setups that are very similar to each other. On No. 1 PC, I have successfully set up File History to back up selected folders. However, although I have set up File History identically on No. 2 PC (and have selected folders for...
  10. File History Setup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Setup: I am looking for some assistance on my setup. There is 4 people on my family (dad, mom, 2 kids). Mom, kid1, and kid2 have each their laptops. I have setup a microsoft family and they are all on the same homegroup. They all login with their own MS account. My wife and...