Windows 10: File history no longer backs up (Error 80070005)

Discus and support File history no longer backs up (Error 80070005) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've come across an issue where File History no longer backs up my files and when I try to do it manually, the error "We can't copy files to your file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Guy19900, Mar 3, 2021.

1. File history no longer backs up (Error 80070005)

I've come across an issue where File History no longer backs up my files and when I try to do it manually, the error "We can't copy files to your file history drive. Failed to initiate user data backup (error 80070005)" pops up. I've looked up what the error is and it's an access issue, but I'm not sure why I'm getting that now when I haven't changed anything outside of windows updates. I can still use file history to access the previously backed up files, so that's not an issue.

I've done the basic stuff:

- Tried a different external hard drive (Get the same error)

- Made sure I'm fully updated/restarted the computer

- Turned file history off & on

- Ran the Windows Updates Troubleshooter

- Ran the System File Checker

Nothing has fixed the error so I'm not sure what the issue is; any help would be greatly appreciated. I am open to using other software so long as it's free and has file instancing whereby I can browse by date rather than restoring the entire drive.

submitted by /u/Guy19900
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Guy19900, Mar 3, 2021

2. File History does not back up blocked files.

Hi Philrosenberg,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Since when are you facing this?
    • Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    • Do you get any error message or error code on the screen code?
    As of now I suggest you follow the steps mentioned in the link below.

What if something goes wrong in File History?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

Note: Steps for Windows 8.1 are also applicable on Windows 10.

Please get back to us with a reply so that we can assist you better.

Nachappa C K, Mar 3, 2021
  3. Sam P. Win User
    Error message 80070005 when trying to update windows 7.5

Hi dlmartin(2),

Thank you for posting to the forums. 80070005 is a generic error, so it's hard to narrow down exactly what the issue is. What I would suggest is running through a few troubleshooting steps that generally help with update errors.

• You may find some success trying the update on another PC, or with another sync cable. If you're not able to try these steps, or they don't work, try using another USB port on the PC as well.
    • Turn the phone off, then remove the battery for about a minute. Once this is done, put it back in and turn it back on and see if the update works.
    • If all else fails, you may be looking at a scenario that requires a factory reset. This erases all data on the phone, so first you'll want to back it up to your PC through the Zune software - your contacts, calendar data, and purchase history is stored
      on your Microsoft Account, so you don't need to worry about that.
    Please let us know if these steps resolve the issue or not and we'll be happy to work from there.

Regards,

Sam P., Mar 3, 2021
  4. #Jon# Win User

File history no longer backs up (Error 80070005)

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Mar 3, 2021
Thema:

File history no longer backs up (Error 80070005)

1. File history no longer backs up (Error 80070005) - Similar Threads - File history longer

2. Error Backing Up with File History

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error Backing Up with File History: I have just started the first backup yesterday. It worked fine, but now I removed two folders from the backup set and now when I try to back up I get this error....
  3. Error Backing Up with File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error Backing Up with File History: I have just started the first backup yesterday. It worked fine, but now I removed two folders from the backup set and now when I try to back up I get this error....
  4. Error Backing Up with File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File History Error Not Backing Up - Error 200

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Error Not Backing Up - Error 200: I love FileHistory I use it to keep and backup files I will change a lot such as documents and coding projects but lately I've been getting the error 200 "Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration saying this Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration...
  6. Error 80070005

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Error 80070005: Im trying to download Sea of Thieves on my D drive, sadly, the install button only works when using the C drive. I tried to make it so new apps save to the D drive, but when i try to do this error 80070005 pops up and stops me from changing it. Ive tried everything, please...
  7. Fix File History Error 80070005 on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix File History Error 80070005 on Windows 10: Windows 10 brings a built-in File History tool to backup and restore files to some external drive. You can easily enable and set up File History to store copies of your files and folders stored in Desktop, Videos, Pictures, Music, OneDrive files, etc. Though the feature works...
  8. File history back up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history back up.: Hi, when I back up file history to an external drive it does not save my picture library. I have used different drives but no pictures are saved. I do have a one drive account as well but would love to get my pictures on an external drive just in case. Any ideas? Cheers,...
  9. Back-up and File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up and File History: I use Windows 10 Back-up and I swap between 2 Passport Drives every month so as to put one at a time safely away from the PC. Trouble is, whenever I Add A Drive, the default settings are Back Up Hourly and Keep Forever. And to back up folders I never use like Saved Games and...
  10. File history/ Back-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history/ Back-up: I accidentally deleted my recovery partition and now I get an error saying check back-up settings. How can I re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-back-up/83dfd074-f1b6-4cfc-8d02-4e0945a155de