Windows 10: File History no longer seeing other users' backups

Discus and support File History no longer seeing other users' backups in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; File History has been working fine for years, until a few days ago when I stopped being able to see my wife's backups AND mine in the File History >... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Cybalist, Feb 22, 2021.

1. File History no longer seeing other users' backups

File History has been working fine for years, until a few days ago when I stopped being able to see my wife's backups AND mine in the File History > Select Drive. Now I can only see my own backup, and I have to login as my wife to see hers, and she of course can't see mine.

Is anyone aware of a recent change to File History which now restricts users from seeing each others' backups? It's a pain in the arse when I want to quickly check all our backups are up to date. Permissions on the backups are fine, nothing has changed there.

Cheers!

submitted by /u/Cybalist
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Cybalist, Feb 22, 2021

2. File history on USB security user access

Hi,

To isolate this concern, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File History folder.
    • Select all the files that you don't want to be accessed.
    • Right-click on the highlighted files and choose Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click on Advanced.
    • Select all the user account that you don't want to have access on your File History folder.
    • Click on Disable inheritance.
    • Lastly, click on OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Desiree Yau, Feb 22, 2021
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Feb 22, 2021
  4. File History no longer seeing other users' backups

File History: Sees my external SSD used for backup but says no files to restore from

Thank everyone in advance for your time!

Due to a hardware issue and to declutter my system, I had to do a full, ground-up reinstallation of Windows 10 (64bit).

• My account/ID name was (for example) "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***". I was also the only user/account, and Administrator, on my PC.
    • I kicked-off the "restore to factory image and reinstall your operating system" process
    • Windows prompted me to make a full USB bootable recovery flash drive on a 64GB USB flash drive
    • Windows then prompted me to make a full file backup using File History- the backup was made to my external 2TB SDD
    • It successfully ran and created the FileHistory directory, my "123ABC" directory, my PC name directory and the Files/Data subdirectories- no errors or skip file messages
    • I then reinstalled Windows 10 (64bit) using my same Microsoft license
    • I then created a new acccount/ID name (for example) "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***"; I didn't want to use *** Email address is removed for privacy ***" anymore as my old ID was no longer a good choice for many reasons- especially if I added an employee to my small home business
    • The Windows and all my apps and driver install went perfectly
    Here is where the problem started:

• I then went to Settings, Backup and File History and attemepted to restore my saved files
    • My 2TB SSD was in the same USB slot when the backup was successfully created, even noting the correct drive "D:\"
    • File History said it could not locate any previous backups
    • I went through all settings, advanced settings and FIle History does see my D:\ drive but still says it cannot locate any files to restore from
    I am thinking it is because my original backup was created usting my old "123ABC" Microsoft ID, which is in fact in the backup file path

• My new, current Microsoft ID on my PC as noted earlier is now "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***"
    • Do I need to re-create my old ID as an additional user and restore it that way?
    • Any other suggestions?

Many, many thanks to everyone involved!

DanNorstrom1, Feb 22, 2021
Thema:

File History no longer seeing other users' backups

1. File History no longer seeing other users' backups - Similar Threads - File History longer

2. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  3. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  4. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File history backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  6. File history backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history backup: Windows 10 v 2004.I notice when selecting Settings-Windows Update-Backup-the option to "add a drive" to back up using file history has been replaced with "Automatically back up my files"although not ON as default. How does this work to back up to a seperate drive? 158363
  7. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  8. Cannot see File History in backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot see File History in backup to external drive: Hello, I use a WD My Passport to do backups for my HP laptop. I use Windows 10 Home edition. When I did a backup recently, I did not see my File History in there. It just showed a System/Disk? image on the backup drive and some other file ending in .cat. I keep all of my...
  9. File History/File Backup

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History/File Backup: What is the best way to back up my computer using Windows 10. I was using File History and it is not completing the process. [ATTACH] The screen capture shows a backup on 10/15/2019 but there are no updated files showing up on my external drive....
  10. Backup file history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup file history: How do I set up File History to back up to an external hard drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backup-file-history/2809c456-e34a-47f9-93ab-ea6c9188fd03"