Windows 10: File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

Discus and support File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nicolle2021, Oct 13, 2021.

1. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word and Excel documents I work with on my laptop. I am the only one who works on these files. I do a lot of Ctrl-S and Save As as I'm working. I've solved the lost-revisions problem by copying the folders that had sync errors until every folder was resolved showed a green sync circle icon. Then, after I was sure everything was syncing okay, I UNchecked the default in the box "OneDrive - Settings - Settings - Files On-Demand - Save space and downlo

:)

Nicolle2021, Oct 13, 2021
  2. PwgAndE Win User

Backing Up OneDrive Folder with File History

I am backing two computers - a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 10 - to an external hard drive via File History. On each computer, the majority of our files are in a OneDrive folder, so I have included OneDrive on the list of folders to back
    up. On the desktop, all subfolders in the OneDrive folder back up just fine (Erika's Pictures, Erika's Music, Erika's Documents). On the laptop, Peter's Music and Peter's Documents back up, but Peter's Pictures does not. To get it to back up, I have to manually,
    separately, add it to the list of folders that File History includes. Obviously, this is easy enough to do, but I don't understand why it is happening or how to fix it. Any ideas? Thank you.

PwgAndE, Oct 13, 2021
  3. File History not backing up OneDrive Documents folder (but correctly backing up other OneDrive folders)

I have my Documents folder and all my photos located in my OneDrive, so that they are always backed up to the cloud. I have previously successfully also used File History to back up all my user files and
    libraries (including the OneDrive folder) to a local external drive and it has worked fine for many years. However, recently I noticed that there is something strange happening with the Documents subfolder in the OneDrive folder of the File History backup
    when I went to restore a previous version of a file in OneDrive\Documents and the 'Restore personal files' view showed
    only a small number of files and folders, not the whole of the current contents of the OneDrive\Documents folder. Moreover, instead of the most recent automatic backup date showing (effectively) the current state of the OneDrive\Documents folder,
    it only showed files that had been modified since the previous automatic backup date. If I manually went backwards in time through the backups, I could see other files in my OneDrive\Documents folder that had been modified previously and were still currently
    in that folder, but for some reason were not showing in the 'Restore personal files' view of the most recent backup.

I thought something must have gotten out of sync with the File History database, so I stopped the file history service, deleted the
    %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory folder, deleted the File History backup folder from the external drive and then rebooted the PC. As expected after rebooting and going into Control Panel -> File History it showed that
    File History was off and there was no File History drive set. I then created a new File History backup to the external drive and checked that there were no 'excluded folders' set. Absolutely everything else got backed up correctly in the new backup, except
    for just the OneDrive\Documents folder, which wasn't created at all in the new backup. For example, my OneDrive\Pictures folder backup correctly had all 22.3GB of data comprising 13,067 files and 255 folders, exactly as expected.

I then modified a test file in my OneDrive\Documents folder, clicked on 'Run Now' in File History and then checked the backup. There was now a Documents folder showing in the OneDrive folder, but it contained
    just that one test file I had modified.

I tried the suggestion I had seen in a previous discussion thread about this problem of manually adding the full OneDrive\Documents path to the list of backed up folders. It was already there in the list,
    but I tried adding it anyway. It made no difference and the folder is still not being backed up.

Why isn't File History backing up all of the folders in OneDrive and selectively refusing to back up just the Documents folder?

RichardG_2010, Oct 13, 2021
  4. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

File History Not Backing Up OneDrive Local Files

Hi John,

I have exactly the same issue with File History. I have become aware this evening that the File History component isn't backing up the local replica of my OneDrive folder following the upgrade to the Fall Creators Update.

The last backup of my local OneDrive replica was last Friday, the 20th of October 2017 - prior to the upgrade.

This evening I realised this and went about trying some things. Initially, I did the following;

• Disabled File History
    • Went into the folder - %appdata%\Local\Microsoft\windows\FileHistory and deleted everything
    • Re-enabled File History - a backup ran, but nothing within the OneDrive folder was backed up

I then did the following;

• Disabled File History
    • Went into the folder - %appdata%\Local\Microsoft\windows\FileHistory and deleted everything
    • Formatted the external drive
    • Re-enabled File History - ran a backup up, it ran but it didn't backup the local OneDrive replica

I then had a check of the File History settings within both the Control Panel and the Settings app; within the Control Panel, nothing is excluded and within the Settings app, the OneDrive folder is selected.

I ran a few more backups, each time the backup ran and completed but the OneDrive folder is ignored!

OneDrive has the default options enabled - so the Files on Demand option is enabled. I switched this off and tried again - the OneDrive isn't being backed up. I switched it back on - still no back up.

I can confirm that File History was backing up the local OneDrive replica under the Creators Update. It has stopped following the upgrade to the Fall Creators Update!

I am a big OneDrive user and I have 823MB of data downloaded to my laptop which isn't being backed up. I am not happy with this!

This appears to be a wide spread issue... so I would expect Microsoft engineers to be working on explaining and resolving this issue.

Can I please ask if Microsoft is aware of this? Are they working on a fix for this issue? When will the fix be available?

I have created an item of Feedback, which is detailed here - Windows Insider Program

Many thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Neil

Neil Hobbs, Oct 13, 2021
Thema:

File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

1. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder - Similar Threads - File History Backing

2. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder: Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word and Excel documents I work with on my laptop. I am the only one who works on these files. I do a lot of Ctrl-S and Save As as...
  3. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder: Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word and Excel documents I work with on my laptop. I am the only one who works on these files. I do a lot of Ctrl-S and Save As as...
  4. File history back up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history back up.: Hi, when I back up file history to an external drive it does not save my picture library. I have used different drives but no pictures are saved. I do have a one drive account as well but would love to get my pictures on an external drive just in case. Any ideas? Cheers,...
  5. Back-up and File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up and File History: I use Windows 10 Back-up and I swap between 2 Passport Drives every month so as to put one at a time safely away from the PC. Trouble is, whenever I Add A Drive, the default settings are Back Up Hourly and Keep Forever. And to back up folders I never use like Saved Games and...
  6. file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive: File history won't back up onedrive files to external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-will-not-back-up-onedrive-files-to/345fc1d9-a93a-484a-8a01-58a93d13f71d
  7. File history/ Back-up

File history/ Back-up: I accidentally deleted my recovery partition and now I get an error saying check back-up settings. How can I re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-back-up/83dfd074-f1b6-4cfc-8d02-4e0945a155de
  8. File History Not Reliably Backing Up All Changes In OneDrive Folder

File History Not Reliably Backing Up All Changes In OneDrive Folder: I have been having a problem with File History not reliably backing up all changes in my OneDrive folder for several months and have yet to find a solution for it. I have my OneDrive folder selected as one to be backed up, but every time I run a backup, only some changes get...
  9. W10 File History not backing up selected folders

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    W10 File History not backing up selected folders: Been having trouble with my WD external drive backup s/w, it keeps losing track of its external drive, so I decided to simply try using W10 File History to manage things. First, I have installed a SSD and migrated my OS there (as C:/), then formatted and set up all libraries...
  10. "Back up using File History" on OneDrive possible?

in Windows 10 Support
    "Back up using File History" on OneDrive possible?: When selecting a "drive" for file history which I'd like to enable for the cloud, specifically onedrive. Is there an ability to use this/support this? Or is that not a thing at the moment? I think this would be an amazing feature, since I don't have my external hard drive...