Windows 10: file history not deleting older backups

Discus and support file history not deleting older backups in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; For some reason, my file history is not deleting old backups. As a result, my drive gets full. I have to go in and manually wipe them out and start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Rick43521, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Rick43521 Win User

file history not deleting older backups

For some reason, my file history is not deleting old backups. As a result, my drive gets full. I have to go in and manually wipe them out and start overAny suggestions appreciated?Thanks in advance

:)

Rick43521, Jan 1, 2023
  2. Junaid_A Win User

File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jan 1, 2023
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan, Jan 1, 2023
  4. file history not deleting older backups

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Jan 1, 2023
Thema:

file history not deleting older backups

1. file history not deleting older backups - Similar Threads - file history deleting

2. file history not deleting older backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file history not deleting older backups: For some reason, my file history is not deleting old backups. As a result, my drive gets full. I have to go in and manually wipe them out and start overAny suggestions appreciated?Thanks in advance...
  3. file history not deleting older backups

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    file history not deleting older backups: For some reason, my file history is not deleting old backups. As a result, my drive gets full. I have to go in and manually wipe them out and start overAny suggestions appreciated?Thanks in advance...
  4. Deleting File History backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage leaving me with none on that drive without deleting other files, and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created...
  5. Deleting File History backups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage leaving me with none on that drive without deleting other files, and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created...
  6. Deleting File History backups

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created so I can get my storage back...
  7. File History won't delete old backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History won't delete old backups: I have File History set to keep my backups for 3 months.However, it still does not delete them after 3 months, and this is taking up space.How do I get this feature to work?...
  8. File history, browse older files form an older backup drive

File history, browse older files form an older backup drive: Hello! I've been using file history for years, and there was a moment that the external drive was full, by that time file historysuggested to add a new drive, which I did, since I wanted to keep those old files. Since then I am using this new drive. Now I'm searching for a...
  9. File History Cannot Restore An Older Backup Version

File History Cannot Restore An Older Backup Version: Hello, I have been using Windows 10 Pro File History with a WD My Cloud network attached storage. A recent WIN10 update broke the network connection with my storage, so for last couple of months I used a USB hard drive connected directly to my PC for File History backup...
  10. Delete Older Versions of File History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete Older Versions of File History in Windows 10: How to: Delete Older Versions of File History in Windows 10 How to Delete Older Versions of File History in Windows 10 [img] Information File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically...