Windows 10: File History not detecting my external hard drive

Discus and support File History not detecting my external hard drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I’m trying to backup my computer with File History and I’m trying to back it up to my external WD 4TB external hard drive. But when selecting the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/throaway9001, Aug 5, 2020.

1. File History not detecting my external hard drive

I’m trying to backup my computer with File History and I’m trying to back it up to my external WD 4TB external hard drive. But when selecting the drives to back it up to, it only shows my HDD.

submitted by /u/throaway9001
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/throaway9001, Aug 5, 2020
  2. PTF1 Win User

File History does not recognise external hard drive in Windows 10

I have attached an external hard drive and it has backed up my files I cannot access File History as It cannot detect the external hard drive.

I'm using Windows 10

PTF1, Aug 5, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Aug 5, 2020
  4. JimTapley Win User

File History not detecting my external hard drive

File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on

An apparent update to Windows 10 caused File History to turn itself off. When trying to restart it, File History keep getting message "no external hard drive detected". Widows 10 shows the external disk working with no problems. When i tried to download
    data to the external hard drive with out File History on I get a Download Failed message with an error code 0X81000019

I cleaned and reformatted the disk but File History still does not recognize it.

Help How can i back up my data in Windows 10. I didn't recognize it at the time but when I recently tried to restore a missing file from my backup drive all the data on the backup drive had the same update dates of early November 2019. Windows 10 File History
    was working OK prior to that time.

JimTapley, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

File History not detecting my external hard drive

1. File History not detecting my external hard drive - Similar Threads - File History detecting

2. File History external hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History external hard drive freezes computer: FYI - After switching to Windows 10 I chose to try File History to backup my data files. When the external hard drive is connected, my computer will freeze whenever the hard drive light is on. I am using a Dell laptop with wireless mouse and keyboard through a Dell "docking"...
  3. File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up: HiI'm having issues with File History. It is turned off, and won't let me turn on. When I go through settings into update and security and into backup it says 'no usable drives found'. When I go through the Backup and Restore route, it says 'File History is off' and the...
  4. File History can't see external hard drive

File History can't see external hard drive: File History can no longer see my external hard drive, 4tb WD My Passport. I have used this drive previously with file history on this very computer and on my laptop so I know it can work. A little while ago I decided to temporarily stop using File History, but now when I try...
  5. external hard drive cant be detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive cant be detected: when i plug in my hard drive, it doesn't show up in file explorer and disk management but only in device manager. when i restart my computer with the hard drive plugged in, i get a blue screen. is it a problem with the driver or windows and how do i fix this?...
  6. File History Baxckup not recognizing External hard drive

File History Baxckup not recognizing External hard drive: Scheduled backup stop working. Went to File History and found it had turned itself off. When trying to turn File History back on got message Could not recognize external drive. Tried reformating drive, called MS Support, nothing worked, so tied a different external drive...
  7. File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on

File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on: An apparent update to Windows 10 caused File History to turn itself off. When trying to restart it, File History keep getting message "no external hard drive detected". Widows 10 shows the external disk working with no problems. When i tried to download data to the external...
  8. Unable to detect external hard drive

Unable to detect external hard drive: I have been attempting to download files from my external hard drive on my surface but cannot seem to find it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-detect-external-hard-drive/80f9a17b-73ac-4cc6-8d42-74714afeb773
  9. file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive

file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive: File history won't back up onedrive files to external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-will-not-back-up-onedrive-files-to/345fc1d9-a93a-484a-8a01-58a93d13f71d
  10. Toshiba external hard drive not detectible

Toshiba external hard drive not detectible: I have a Toshiba DWC250 5TB external drive formatted ReFS that I cannot detect in either Disk Management or by using DiskPart/List Disk. Cabling and power are sound. The unit is not user serviceable because the case is not designed to be opened. I use it in a storage pool on...