Windows 10: File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up

Discus and support File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; HiI'm having issues with File History. It is turned off, and won't let me turn on. When I go through settings into update and security and into backup... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Backoch, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Backoch Win User

File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up

HiI'm having issues with File History. It is turned off, and won't let me turn on. When I go through settings into update and security and into backup it says 'no usable drives found'. When I go through the Backup and Restore route, it says 'File History is off' and the option to turn on is greyed out.Between the two I cannot back up my files because it refuses to recognise my external hard drive, even though the computer has backed up onto it through 'Back up and restore'. Are Back up and Restore and File History mutually exclusive?ThanksBackoch

:)

Backoch, Jun 25, 2021

2. File History does not recognise this drive

Hi Eeshwar

Thank you for your suggestion.

I tried a quick reformat of the external drive - that did not work.

So I then did a full reformat - which took several hours - then disconnected the drive. After re-booting the machine and reconnecting the external drive File History persisted with the message "File History does not recognise this drive".

I have tried to read the forum you suggested but I got completely lost in all the attempts and failed suggestions that I was totally unable to discern what I should do to get File History to just use the now perfectly clean external drive.

Could you give me further guidance?

Peter L Murray, Jun 25, 2021
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jun 25, 2021
  4. PTF1 Win User

File History does not recognise external hard drive in Windows 10

I have attached an external hard drive and it has backed up my files I cannot access File History as It cannot detect the external hard drive.

I'm using Windows 10

Thema:

1. File History not recognising external hard drive for backing up - Similar Threads - File History recognising

2. external hard drive not backing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not backing up: every time i press back up it does its backing up thingy then it says you havent backed up your drive ive tried 3 times and many different things online please help me i need to fix it before wensday cause they gonna take my computer and fix it and they might need to wipe it...
  3. external hard drives not recognised

external hard drives not recognised: A problem has recently shown up. I have a lot of data archived on Seagate external hard drives. Recently, every single one has failed to show up and be accessible in This PC. They appear in Device Manager where they are each described as "Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk...
  4. External hard drive not recognised

External hard drive not recognised: Hi Purchased a new H-D for my Dell A Seagate Barrcuda. Did a clean install to the new drive. at the same time I put the old drive in a brand new external enclosure with the intention of copying the files over. The "new" installation cannot access the USB drive, even though...
  5. back up my hard drive to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    back up my hard drive to an external hard drive: backing up my hard drive to external drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-my-hard-drive-to-an-external-hard-drive/322809a8-5ac9-408c-998d-8a2ecdcd1906
  6. External Hard Drive not recognised

External Hard Drive not recognised: I have a brand new micrsoft surface and I cannot for the life of me get it to recognise my external hard drive. I read a similar post which required an input of a drive letter which seemed like what i needed to do, however i cannot click on the "change drive letter and...
  7. file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive

file history will not back up onedrive files to external hard drive: File history won't back up onedrive files to external hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-will-not-back-up-onedrive-files-to/345fc1d9-a93a-484a-8a01-58a93d13f71d
  8. Backing up one drive files to external hard drive

Backing up one drive files to external hard drive: For added security I like to back up my one drive files to an external hard drive. This may seem unnecessary but I like to have my files on my pc hard drive, the one drive cloud and another external hard drive. This is been working until recently when the backup app does not...
  9. Backing up to a external hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backing up to a external hard drive: After reading about ransomware etc. it got me wondering about backing up my information to an external hard drive. It would serve double duty in the event of a drive failure or the unlikely event of ransom ware. I've never used an external drive for backup so I have a few...
  10. External hard drive not recognised

External hard drive not recognised: Problem: I have two external hard drives that I have been using for backups etc. on my desktop running Windows 10 Home. I connected the external drives to my HP Laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 to copy some files andit has changed the ownership to the external...