Windows 10: File history not working error event id 201

Discus and support File history not working error event id 201 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, a while ago my file history has stopped working. I'm getting no error message, it just stops after 1 min. After a look in event viewer I found... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KP_25, Jan 18, 2021.

1. KP_25 Win User

File history not working error event id 201

Hello, a while ago my file history has stopped working. I'm getting no error message, it just stops after 1 min.

After a look in event viewer I found this:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\"Account name"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

I already tried sfc, dsim and deleting the problematic configuration file no results.

Any suggestions?

:)

KP_25, Jan 18, 2021

2. Windows 10 File History error Event ID: 201

Hi All

I have followed the suggestions in this thread but cannot get read of Error Event ID 201

Tough it seems as the history backup was successful the Data folder is empty.

Appreciate you support.

Regards

Shraga

ShragaDvoretzki, Jan 18, 2021
  3. Windows 10 File History error Event ID: 201

G'day,

I had the very same error "Windows 10 File History error Event ID: 201" and finally was able to fix it.

My issue was my Music Collection, all other folders were being backed up. I only had the issue when I included the Music folder to File History.

After trolling through many different solutions I was able to piece together a solution.

• Check for long file paths greater than 255 characters.
      • PowerShell Command: cmd /c dir /s /b |? {$_.length -gt 255}
      • Reference WebSite:
      • In my case this found no files > 255 (Not my Cause)
    • Check for Bad Characters
      • There is a possibility the some characters may cause the error
      • I have music from around the world and the languages are varied and the characters varied
      • PowerShell Command: gci -recurse | where {$_.Name -match "[^\u0020-\u007E]"}
      • In my case I found many files with special characters. I tested file history on 10 files with different languages and characters found in my search. All backed up ok with no errors -
        (Not my Cause)

• Check for Hidden and Protected Files
    This was my issue!

Windows does not display all the files by default and you need to find the files that "are" stopping file history from working.

I had a metadata program enrich my Music Locations to make my library look good on my media centre PC. The metadata program created some hidden and protected files in the artist folders. This files did not show up on normal searches
    so I did not know they where the cause.

My steps to find and delete the files preventing file history from working.

• View All Files
      • There are many good sites to show you how:
        How-To Reference Web Site
      • My Problem Hidden Files Where:
        • AlbumArt* - Music Metadata pictures with long complicated file names
        • Thumbs.db - Thumbnail Database
        • Desktop.ini
    • Changed the Attributes of the files from hidden and protected to "normal"
      • Using a Command Prompt (Admin) Window
      • Navigated to the folder in question
        • Example:
        • typed the command: "M:" - To go to M Drive
        • typed the command: "cd music" - to go to the music folder
        • typed the command: “attrib –s –h *.* /S /D” - Takes a while to run
          • This converts "All Files" (*.*) by removing the "-s" System Attribute "-h" Hidden Attribute
    • Delete the files preventing the issue
      • Windows Explorer search within the problem folder
        • AlbumArt* - Music Metadata pictures with long complicated file names
        • Thumbs.db - Thumbnail Database
        • Desktop.ini
      • On each separate search I selected all the files [Ctrl]+[A] and deleted the files

• Added Problem folder back into the File History and pressed the "Run Now" option

• Checked the File History Disk location and "Success" my Music Collection is now being backed up
    I now have my PC running a full File History Backup onto a pair of "Mirrored Disks" finally after a lot of trouble shooting. My event log is now clear of the dreaded Event ID 201!

I hope my findings help you in your File History Journey.

Best Regards

Paul

RidgeFighter, Jan 18, 2021
  4. File history not working error event id 201

Windows 10 File History error Event ID: 201

Hi

I attached 2Tb drive to my Desktop PC (will be used for file backups),

Started file history and it stopped after a while, checked the log and it reported it reported the following Error Event ID 201

"Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config"

Please advise

Thanks

Shraga

ShragaDvoretzki, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

File history not working error event id 201

1. File history not working error event id 201 - Similar Threads - File history working

2. How to solve Windows 11 Pro Error "Event ID: 201 Task Category"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to solve Windows 11 Pro Error "Event ID: 201 Task Category": Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM Date: 11-Jan-23 9:19:09 AM Event ID: 10016 Task Category: None Level: Warning Keywords: Classic User: AR-ARSAB\ARSAB Computer: AR-ARSAB Description: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local...
  3. How to solve Windows 11 Pro Error "Event ID: 201 Task Category"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to solve Windows 11 Pro Error "Event ID: 201 Task Category": Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM Date: 11-Jan-23 9:19:09 AM Event ID: 10016 Task Category: None Level: Warning Keywords: Classic User: AR-ARSAB\ARSAB Computer: AR-ARSAB Description: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local...
  4. File History Error 201 Every Day?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File History Error 201 Every Day?: I get this File History notification just about every day. I have changed the retention to 1 month but that had no effect. I get the error about File Hist Cleanup.I have been using Macrium for about a year.Can you help me correct the File History errors?I hope the included...
  5. File History Error 201 Every Day?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Error 201 Every Day?: I get this File History notification just about every day. I have changed the retention to 1 month but that had no effect. I get the error about File Hist Cleanup.I have been using Macrium for about a year.Can you help me correct the File History errors?I hope the included...
  6. File History Error 201 Every Day?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. DeviceSetupManager Errors (Event IDs 131, 200, 201 & 202)

in Windows 10 Support
    DeviceSetupManager Errors (Event IDs 131, 200, 201 & 202): Hello, Googling this issue seemed a lot more common a few years back, including on this forum. I am getting the same errors and warnings every time I boot my PC, and whenever I click on ' Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers'. Error 131 says: "Metadata...
  8. File History Error 201

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Error 201: I opened my File History Event Logs to find a bunch of Errors. They are all 201 Events saying, "Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\..." What could be happening? I manually made a File History Backup on...
  9. Device Setup Manager: Event id 200, 201 and 202

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Device Setup Manager: Event id 200, 201 and 202: Every boot I receive event ids 200 and 202. Some times I also get 201. This started ever since I updated my gpu and switched up the ports for a SLI set up. For a little background, one error involves it's connection to the windows update service and the other refers to...
  10. Event ID 200 201 202 DeviceSetupManager

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Event ID 200 201 202 DeviceSetupManager: Hi, I usually see this Warning Level Event ID in the Event Viewer...not sure what cause it but it happen from time to time 1. Event ID 200.....A connection to the Windows Update service could not be established. 2. Event ID 201....A connection to the Windows Metadata...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file history backup log error id 202