Windows 10: File History not working

Discus and support File History not working in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; New PC, copied all data from old PC (ie didn't run Backup/Restore of old PC data). No problem until I tried (and failed) to get File History working.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Clive Pearce, Oct 10, 2018.

1. File History not working

New PC, copied all data from old PC (ie didn't run Backup/Restore of old PC data). No problem until I tried (and failed) to get File History working.

The program runs but only saves fragmentary 'bits' of the new PC. When I review the files (ie Documents) I get the msg 'File Empty' or somesuch. The only file that partially successfully backed up is iTunes.

Also Msg that Idrive is the problem - but don't think it is.

:)

Clive Pearce, Oct 10, 2018

2. File History won't work, says insufficient space

Hi,

It is possible that the user profiles are also being restored when restoring your files in
    File History. We suggest that you manually choose the files you want to restore. Here are the steps:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • Search for File History.
    • Click the Restore personal files option on the left pane of your screen.
    • Select the folders you want to restore and then click the restore icon.
    Note: Make sure that you don't copy the duplicated folders listed.

Feel free to get back to us if you need further assistance.

Jamille Nar, Oct 10, 2018
  3. #Jon# Win User
    File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Oct 10, 2018
  4. File History not working

file history

thunderfoot7, Oct 10, 2018
Thema:

File History not working

1. File History not working - Similar Threads - File History working

2. File History stops working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History stops working: Greetings,I haven't been able to find any documentation for File History.File History stops working about once a week. If I go back in and click "Back up now", it will resume, but I don't know for how long.Does File History keeps logs in Event Viewer?If not, is there another...
  3. File History stops working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History stops working: Greetings,I haven't been able to find any documentation for File History.File History stops working about once a week. If I go back in and click "Back up now", it will resume, but I don't know for how long.Does File History keeps logs in Event Viewer?If not, is there another...
  4. File History not working at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History not working at all: I recently bought a 1 terabyte hard drive for backing up my pc. It has been fully initialized and functions, and I know it functions because I used Crystal Disk Mark to check the speed of the drive. I tried to use File History in Windows 11 to back up my pc to the drive, but...
  5. file history not working properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file history not working properly: file history not backing up all folders. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-not-working-properly/9e4ff9ba-9064-4d87-9fca-ecf7a733f9e4
  6. File History Does Not Work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Does Not Work: Hi, For the past few days, File History on my Windows 10 Home 20H2 has stopped working. In Settings, "Back up options" opens after a noticeable delay and displays the size of my back-up as zero bytes with the message' "Your data is not yet backed up". On clicking "Back...
  7. File History Not Working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History Not Working: So on my Windows 10 PC, I turned on File History on a USB Drive. Then I tried turning it off because the File History folder took up a lot of storage USB Drive was meant for small files. I kept on trying but it wouldn't work and gave an error message. Then I tried to delete...
  8. File History not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History not working: I have Windows 10 installed on 2 PCs, with setups that are very similar to each other. On No. 1 PC, I have successfully set up File History to back up selected folders. However, although I have set up File History identically on No. 2 PC (and have selected folders for...
  9. Restore Files in File History not working

Restore Files in File History not working: On July 12, I activated File History and set it to backup Daily. Since then I made changes to a document on July 13 and again on July 14 for testing purposes, but when I went to restore an earlier version of that document on July 14 I only saw the July 12 version. I then...
  10. File History Stopped Working...

File History Stopped Working...: I've searched this site and Google for the error I get and have found nothing that seems to pertain to this issue exactly. I have been using the file history backup function since installing W10 Home right before the free offer expired and it has been working fine. I was...