Windows 10: File history of an external drive with path mapped to a folder

Discus and support File history of an external drive with path mapped to a folder in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In order to get my huge iTunes library to work at a reasonable speed I mapped an 8 TB external drive which had previously had a letter assigned I'll... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sam_94117, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Sam_94117 Win User

File history of an external drive with path mapped to a folder

In order to get my huge iTunes library to work at a reasonable speed I mapped an 8 TB external drive which had previously had a letter assigned I'll call it the M: drive to a folder on my computer's internal C: drive using the Disk Management program. The M: drive has all the music and video files in my iTunes media folder. Since the database and album art are on the C: drive which is a fast SSD drive, iTunes zips along. When it goes to look for a media file it finds it on the external hard drive that has been linked to the folder called "iTunes Media" located in the iTunes folder. That folder now looks like an 8 TB folder on my 256 MB SSD. This works just fine for iTunes. The problem is that I can no longer back-up my iTunes library using Windows File History. When I try to add that folder, or anything in that folder to the list of things to back up I get error 0x80070032. Is there any way to fix this so that File History will back up my media library?

:)

Sam_94117, Oct 29, 2020

2. How to remove folders from File History

• I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful

mila parker, Oct 29, 2020
  3. gmopro Win User
    File Explorer - Path for a mapped drive

Sometimes I want to get the full path that i have mapped and copy and paste to send to someone.

I can usually just do a rt click and rename and copy it from there. BUT, if i had edited the path to make it just a one word name or something in the past, i cant get that path, unless i go to Map Network drive and find it in the list of drives i have mapped.

Now when i do that, you guys have made the box very narrow so i cant see the full path so it makes it really difficult to find it. Please widen that path in the drop down folder for the Mapped drive in File Explorer. Why so narrow???? Needs to be changed
    so i can find longer paths in a list of similar paths, but slightly different. It creates frustration. i guess no one there has a bunch of long paths mapped and then edited as a shorter name and doesnt need to copy and paste the path to anyone else. i have
    run into this issue several times. Widen that box there. thanks.

gmopro, Oct 29, 2020
  4. ALN
    ALN Win User

How to remove folders from File History

That did it - Thank you Mila!

Thema:

1. File history of an external drive with path mapped to a folder - Similar Threads - File history external

2. Mapped drives and unc path

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapped drives and unc path: I am runing Windows 10 version 20H2 with all updates applied on a peer to peer network with drives mapped to a shared network location on a Win Server 2012 R2. I also accesed other files from the server using the UNC path to the files. Suddenly both the mapped drives would...
  3. Mapping and saving a path to network drives

Mapping and saving a path to network drives: Windows ver. 1909 I use a program called MyFolders. It creates a Right click menu option in File Explorer that then allows you to map a path to and save that mapped path to any external drive or other computer on your network. It appears this program has some fatal flaws...
  4. Add an external drive to File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Add an external drive to File History: Windows 10 1909 I've added an external data drive to my system, and would like the files to be backed up using File History. It doesn't seem to matter if I select the drive, or individual folders on the drive, back up data never shows up. Is this something File History...
  5. map external drive and remap internal drive or substitute a folder

map external drive and remap internal drive or substitute a folder: I have a SSD for C: and internal Drive D: I would like to create 2 batch files that I start manually. How to: 1. If I connect my external drive I want the internal drive become E: and the external should be D: On another PC: 2. Let's say I have a folder...
  6. map external drive and remap internal drive or substitute a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    map external drive and remap internal drive or substitute a folder: I have a SSD for C:, an internal Drive D: How to: 1. If I connect my external drive I want the internal drive become E: and the external should be D: On another PC: 2. Let's say I have a folder C:\folder1\folder2. If I connect my external drive I want it to be mapped to...
  7. External drive mapped to folder has driver problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive mapped to folder has driver problem: In Windows 10 Pro, I have a 500 GB SSD as C:, a 3 TB partitioned into D:, E:, and F:, a 4 TB as G:, and a 3 TB as H:. My Synology NAS has 3 partitions as V:, W:, and X:. I have 2 CD/DVD RW as Y: and Z:. I have 13 external HDDs and SSDs in various drive bays and enclosures...
  8. Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive: I have a computer including an external drive (which contains all the photos). These two things have been backed up to another external drive using File History. So far so good. Now, the drive containing the photos has been damaged and can not be used anymore. This means, I...
  9. Using File History on external USB drive.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using File History on external USB drive.: I have all my docs on a separate drive than my system drive c:, called drive I, and I back up using FileHistory to drive K. I and K are different partitions on a separate but the same secondary hard drive, which is silly seeing that if the actual hardware crashed no files or...
  10. Remove files and folders in File History backed to my external drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Remove files and folders in File History backed to my external drive: I am trying this as a normal delete and the system has said it will take more than one day. The files are from the time before a clean install and a defunct Windows account of a different name from the previous installation. Is there a speedier process without need for...