Windows 10: File History on/off status issues

Discus and support File History on/off status issues in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a hiccup the other day and lost all mail data and ability to connect to past mail boxes. I ran through a folder clean up application assuming it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by b_M_x, Oct 13, 2018.

1. b_M_x Win User

File History on/off status issues

I had a hiccup the other day and lost all mail data and ability to connect to past mail boxes.

I ran through a folder clean up application assuming it was set not to delete system and mail files (I took care of other personal files).

That assumption was highly over the top and system would not start after my clean up.

After a bit back and forth I could restore the system to an earlier back up point from system perspective.

However my mail files were deleted. I did take a File History back up just before the clean up...

However all critical .pst files were deleted from the PC and I am not able to recover the file history done prior to executing the utility.

When I go into File History Recovery the system tells me File History is Off, and ask if I want to change setting.

How come a part of you system, function it self, says File History is On while the recovery portion says it is Off?

How to recover my File History data?

An issue I have is that I cannot access my pst files thus only web mail available with those limitations.

Rgds,

Bjoern

:)

b_M_x, Oct 13, 2018

2. File History defaults vs what I want to save

Hi Jim,

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• Is the computer connected to a Domain network?
    • From when are you facing this issue?

I suggest you to try the steps in the following article which will help you to fix common File History issues.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

(Applies to Windows 10)

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 13, 2018
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Windows 10 file history not backing up; event IDs 200, 201, 203, cannot recognize...

Hi Dick,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with using File History.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• Is the computer connected to domain network?
    • What all troubleshooting steps did you try apart from changing the location?
    I suggest you to try the steps in the following article which will help you to fix common File History issues.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Oct 13, 2018
  4. File History on/off status issues

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

File History on/off status issues

1. File History on/off status issues - Similar Threads - File History off

2. Would like details about the messages and statuses of File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Would like details about the messages and statuses of File History: I am running an up to date Windows 10. I have a schedule set up for incremental, differential, and full backups using Acronis, and I have no issues with that. I wanted to be able to use the "Previous Versions" tab of the file properties dialog box to get more granular - as in...
  3. Automatically check File History status?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatically check File History status?: I've recently enabled File History on 8 different machines. They all backup to the same network drive, and they're all set to run on a daily basis.File History does run on a daily basis for most of these machines, but there are about three of them that do not run daily. One...
  4. Automatically check File History status?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatically check File History status?: I've recently enabled File History on 8 different machines. They all backup to the same network drive, and they're all set to run on a daily basis.File History does run on a daily basis for most of these machines, but there are about three of them that do not run daily. One...
  5. Automatically check File History status?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. File History issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File History issue: I am using a Seagate EHD as a backup using File History. I didn't have any problem with the initial backup. After working on organizing several files over several days, I wanted to check and make sure that things were backing up correctly. Unfortunately, my computer had lost...
  7. Issues With File History drive

Issues With File History drive: Here's my issue I activated back up file history because there was a folder I wanted to backup but then I noticed that it had backed up a lot of other files so I manually deleted them and removed them from the backup list and then I tried to add the folder which I wanted to...
  8. File History Issues

File History Issues: Just started using File History and backup in Windows 10 two days ago. File History has made 5 copies of every photo and document on my computer. I used a program to delete the multiple copies this afternoon and they all came back this evening. I have not changed my files....
  9. File History issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History issue: I have two SSDs in my tablet -- HP -- I use the D drive for backups only. Suddenly, File History can't find D drive. It is also turned off and cannot be turned on. I have tried everything I can think of. It first happened after I reformatted the D drive. Also, note of...
  10. File history Issues

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history Issues: WIN 10 ver 1703 File history is not updating. The display says last updated at a specified time (A). It has been set to run hourly and appears to run but no updates are recorded in the File history window an d only the update refered to above (A) is shown. I deleted File...