Windows 10: File History only backs up Users Folder. I need to backup the C drive.

Discus and support File History only backs up Users Folder. I need to backup the C drive. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How can I use file history to back up my C drive to my D drive? I have two 2tb drives. One, C, is for working, the other, D, is to backup C. Several... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by river251, Mar 9, 2019.

1. river251 Win User

File History only backs up Users Folder. I need to backup the C drive.

How can I use file history to back up my C drive to my D drive? I have two 2tb drives. One, C, is for working, the other, D, is to backup C.

Several people work on this machine. There are various user accounts, some shared, some for a single person.

We created folders on the C drive such as:

Data-experiment-words

Analysis-1

Analysis-2

papers

etc.

and everyone uses them. They need to remain in a single location on the C drive.

I need to simply back up the C drive to the D drive.

I have never used Windows user folders. I have done it my way since before windows existed. Thanks like data are not documents, pictures, etc. It makes no sense to put things that are not documents in documents. And they are shared and used by multiple users. They need to be in a single place. It's as if Bill Gates designed PCs so that only one person will use them.

How can I use file history to back up my C drive to my D drive?

Thanks

:)

river251, Mar 9, 2019

2. By default, File History doesn't back up C:\Users\myname\AppsData\?

I just did my first backup with File History and then looked on my external hard drive to see it. I noticed that the C:\Users\myname\AppsData\ folder was not backed up which surprised me. I went back into the app and noticed that that folder is
    not included in the default list of backed-up folders.

I know I can add it to the list, and I will, but it's such an important folder as it contains emails, our various app data, etc. Why would this not be included in the default list?

Rick7072RD, Mar 9, 2019
  3. File History - my expectations versus reality

I have several observations. Would like a discussion on each, thank you.

1) Managing "Backup these folders"

I assumed I could define the folders to backup at a top level so I wouldn't have to manage new subfolders. I deleted the many entries for c:/users/myname/subfolder in order to add c:/users/myname.

a) I couldn't add a folder after emptying the list. Eventually after repeated attempts I got it to list c:/users and c:/usersmyname.

b) I turned File History on and it suggested it would do a backup. It created the top level folders on my backup drive but did not backup anything.

I had previously turned File History on weeks ago and turned it off. I deleted this on my backup drive before setting the new options today. How can I force File History to backup everything in the list?, and then presumably it will just keep incremental
    backups going forward.

2) How does it work?

I assume File History would initiate a backup of everything defined in "Backup these folders" and then perform incremental backups. It kind of suggested it would but it hasnt backed anything. So I created a new file and saved it directly under c:/users/myname and
    set file history to backup every 10 minutes. Nothing was backed up.

3) I go to advanced settings and hit Run Now. Nothing happens.

Margarita---, Mar 9, 2019
  4. Leen76 Win User

Backup These Folders in File History

My Pictures and My Videos folders are inside the My Documents folder. In File History all three folders are listed in the Backup These Folders list. Does this mean that because of this, files in Pictures and Videos are backuped twice? Once when backing up
    My Documents and once when backing up My Pictures and My Videos (included in My Documents)

Leen76, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

1. File History only backs up Users Folder. I need to backup the C drive. - Similar Threads - File History backs

2. Why is File History only backing up two folders?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is File History only backing up two folders?: Hello! I'm running Windows 11 and I'm attempting to back up my files to an external hard drive using File History.I turned on File History and ran my first backup.However, when I enter the "Restore personal files" menu, only two seemingly random folders appear to be backed...
  3. Why is File History only backing up two folders?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is File History only backing up two folders?: Hello! I'm running Windows 11 and I'm attempting to back up my files to an external hard drive using File History.I turned on File History and ran my first backup.However, when I enter the "Restore personal files" menu, only two seemingly random folders appear to be backed...
  4. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder: Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word and Excel documents I work with on my laptop. I am the only one who works on these files. I do a lot of Ctrl-S and Save As as...
  5. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder: Goal: Create a backup of all of my Documents onto an external hard drive.I've had some problems with OneDrive missing or overwriting revisions of Word and Excel documents I work with on my laptop. I am the only one who works on these files. I do a lot of Ctrl-S and Save As as...
  6. File History Not Backing Up Files in OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. File History Fails to backup Files. Not a single file is backup. Backing up Status is on....

File History Fails to backup Files. Not a single file is backup. Backing up Status is on....: File History Fails to backup Files. Not a single file is backup. Backing up Status is on. Screen[ATTACH]Shot of Error Log Enclosed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-fails-to-backup-files-not-a-single/df51b595-feab-46ec-9440-c50d0d1fee2f
  8. Back-up of C-Drive: question on various files needed or not needed

Back-up of C-Drive: question on various files needed or not needed: Hello, BACKGROUND Have an automated nightly back-up system, for my Dell Desktop, transferring files to a Western Digital External Hard Drive. Backups of my User Data are executing perfectly, for many months. These backups consist of the Desktop, my Contacts, my...
  9. Using File History to Back Up a One Drive Folder

Using File History to Back Up a One Drive Folder: Is it possible to use File History to back up a OneDrive folder to a local network drive? Please note that I am >>not<< asking about using a OneDrive folder as the >>target<< of the backup. I want to make a local backup of a OneDrive folder on a local server. When I try...
  10. File History Backup not backing entire contents of a folder

File History Backup not backing entire contents of a folder: Trying to use File History both a timeline type versioning and also as a full backup. Set up new drive and turned File History on and it worked, but only partly. As one example, a folder on my computer has 61 items in folder. When I go to the backup folder on the new backup...