Windows 10: File History options disappeared

Discus and support File History options disappeared in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I used to have a big button I could click to back up my data, but it completely disappeared and when I click "Configure File History... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/CrazyCatCapricorn, Mar 5, 2021.

1. File History options disappeared

File History options disappeared 41At6uFs30g-s5UYJoSJqlkZIbVCb9HGy6-p8eBuXI4.jpg

I used to have a big button I could click to back up my data, but it completely disappeared and when I click "Configure File History settings" nothing happens. There's no option to create a new backup, and there's no button to manually back up my data. My backup drive is plugged in, and I have updated Windows 10 and restarted my computer. The only error that shows in the Event Viewer is "Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration"

When I click on \"More options\" it takes me to the next screen

But there are no options to set up a backup.

\"Configure File History settings\" does nothing when clicked.

submitted by /u/CrazyCatCapricorn
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/CrazyCatCapricorn, Mar 5, 2021
  2. Junaid_A Win User

File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Mar 5, 2021
  3. File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Mar 5, 2021
  4. #Jon# Win User

File History options disappeared

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

File History options disappeared

1. File History options disappeared - Similar Threads - File History options

2. Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?: Apologies if this has been asked before...As I see there are three ways one can backup their files using the default options provided by windows...1. Backup and Restore Windows 7 - goodness know why this still exists or hasn't been updates since windows 7 2. 'Backup using...
  3. Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Are 'Backup' & 'File History' Two Different Backup Options?: Apologies if this has been asked before...As I see there are three ways one can backup their files using the default options provided by windows...1. Backup and Restore Windows 7 - goodness know why this still exists or hasn't been updates since windows 7 2. 'Backup using...
  4. calculator history disappears

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    calculator history disappears: When I switch to the calculator from a different browser the history sometimes disappears. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/calculator-history-disappears/b9c4b79d-a51e-44e7-83d8-6e67683c81e5
  5. File history options disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    File history options disappeared: I used to have a big button I could click to back up my data, but it completely disappeared and when I click "Configure File History settings" nothing happens. There's no option to create a new backup, and there's no button to manually back up my data. My backup drive is...
  6. Update history has disappeared

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update history has disappeared: I did a clean legal install of Win10 on Jan 6, 2020. Updates were immediately dowloaded including the features update 1909. Since then updates have been dowloading and installing normally and showing up in "installed updates". Today I looked at "installed updates" and...
  7. Option to "add to file history" to context menu?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Option to "add to file history" to context menu?: Is there any way to include an option to "add to file history" to the context menu? It's tedious to have to jump into settings every time I want to add a folder to it. 140176
  8. Update history disappeared

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update history disappeared: Hi Strange issue, I have just checked Windows update area in version 1803, last night I had the feature update listed and 2 driver updates but for some reason this morning it is blank... any idea what happened to the 3 items listed? I have run disk cleanup but cannot...
  9. File History Backup Options

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Backup Options: Hi, I have a two part question. First, I turned on File History the first of the month, set the 'Back up my files' to daily and it now reports that the last backup was on 5/9/2016, about a week after I set it up, and viewing the data seems to support that, nothing dated...
  10. "Run..." history has disappeared.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    "Run..." history has disappeared.: Every now and then I use run to do something. Like run the Firefox Profile manager, regedit, etc. Typically the "Run" pulldown menu has the commands I had previouly run - which is convenient. But it is now blank. There is no record of previous commands even after I enter a...