Windows 10: File History - Question

Discus and support File History - Question in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; File History – My File History is currently backed up to OneDrive on an external disk. The link address to the listings for File History includes the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jerry8AB, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Jerry8AB Win User

File History - Question

File History –

My File History is currently backed up to OneDrive on an external disk. The link address to the listings for File History includes the word OneDrive.

Now, I will be reinstalling Windows 10 where I will not use OneDrive.

I assume with a new Windows 10, I will be required to designate a drive for a backup destination.

So, my question is this:

After uninstalling OneDrive on my current system, when I click on File History on my external hard drive, I still have to click on OneDrive to access File History listing. See screenshot 30.

So, when I reinstall Windows 10, will that OneDrive link or word disappear?

Thanks,

Jerry

File History - Question 99d2d82d-5d93-406f-a402-de43b95fafee?upload=true.png

:)

Jerry8AB, Feb 4, 2020
  2. Jerry8AB Win User

File History Question

I’m not sure how to re-add the folder. So what I did do was to
    manually back up all folders. When I did that, I DID have more listings in documents and pictures.

What appears to be occurring is this:

After doing the steps to allow offline access, it seems that File History is capturing those files.
    However, I don’t understand why the files were not captured during normal scheduling which is every 12 hours.

What I have been looking for is a listing of ALL of my document and picture files, before and after activating offline access.

So, what I am saying is, File History may be working, but it will not show any document or picture files prior to my offline activation.

Your thoughts.

Jerry

Jerry8AB, Feb 4, 2020
  3. #Jon# Win User
    File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Feb 4, 2020
  4. Junaid_A Win User

File History - Question

File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Feb 4, 2020
Thema:

File History - Question

1. File History - Question - Similar Threads - File History Question

2. File History Question

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History Question: I have FH set up to run every 3 hrs. via the Control Panel settings. I have also set it up under Scheduler to run daily at 10 AM. It saves files to an external hard drive, designated in the CP settings.It runs the CP settings correctly at all time. The Scheduler setting is...
  3. File History Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Question: I have observed a strange File History situation. The program is set up to backup to external drive A:\ drive every day every 3 hrs. A couple of times this week A:\ was disconnected the whole day. Yet when the drive was re-connected the "Restore your Files" results show...
  4. File history question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history question: There is a setting in File History that allows for the removal of backups older than a certain date. Since the program backs up incrementally, can this feature delete a prior full backup, so it's no longer available to restore newer files.? Any guidance greatly appreciated....
  5. Question about File History

Question about File History: I have recently started using File History. It works well, in the background, with no problems. I have recovered files, also with no problems. I have a very large folder 138 GB which it skips, even though it's on the list of files to back up. Is there any limitation to...
  6. Backup and Restore Question for File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and Restore Question for File History: I have used File History for a number of years to backup my files. I can see it running and according to the program it operates successfully. For the heck of it I tried to restore a file, just to see if it would work. It ended up only finding a backup from July 2019, yet...
  7. File History Question

File History Question: File History – Question on how File History works. When backing up files in my Documents Folder on a regular basis, do all new backups in File History include files that have not changed as well as files that have changed? Thanks, Jerry...
  8. Question about File History usage

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about File History usage: I was preparing to set up file history between my PC and a USB hard drive and before initiating the process, I went through the Bluetooth folder on the PC and dragged the photos and videos which were in there to their permanent storage place in my respective Photo and Video...
  9. Question about File History usage

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about File History usage: I was preparing to set up file history between my PC and a USB hard drive and before initiating the process, I went through the Bluetooth folder on the PC and dragged the photos and videos which were in there to their permanent storage place in my respective Photo and Video...
  10. File History Question

File History Question: File History Question – Assume I turn ON File History for say 1 week and then turn OFF for 1 week and repeat that cycle. During that On-Off cycle I am saving files to my Document Folder. 1. Will File History show ALL of my saved document files during that cycle? If...