Windows 10: File history- Removable disk e is disconnected

Discus and support File history- Removable disk e is disconnected in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had accidentally deleted some important files and I went onto file history to recover the files, however, it did work for a while till it stopped and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by xOTSx, Aug 17, 2019.

1. xOTSx Win User

File history- Removable disk e is disconnected

I had accidentally deleted some important files and I went onto file history to recover the files, however, it did work for a while till it stopped and popped up 'removable disk e is disconnected'. I don't understand how this came up as my USB is titled as 'e' and it works perfectly fine, plus I don't know how my USB is involved with files that originally existed on my laptop.

So now I don't have a single idea what's happening? File history- Removable disk e is disconnected f7630eaa-9769-4714-805d-883032333277?upload=true.png

:)

xOTSx, Aug 17, 2019
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Disconnect and reconnect File History drive

Hi David,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To stop file history using a drive, you can try the steps listed below.

Ideally, File History will save copies of your files every hour, so disconnecting and reconnecting the backup drive every hour would be a tedious task. However, if you still would like to go for it, you may try the steps listed
    below.

• Open Settings and go to Update & Security > Backup using File History.
    • Scroll down to Backup to a different drive
      and choose Stop using the drive to disconnect the drive.
    • Later, when you would like to reconnect, go to
      Settings
      >
      Update & security>
      Backup>
      Add a drive to reconnect the drive.

Additional Info: Use File History to backup and restore
    in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Aug 17, 2019
  3. BobPlantz Win User
    File History does not work

I added a folder on a second internal drive (EFile history- Removable disk e is disconnected :) to File History, and now it will not work. I went to Backup Options and removed the folder from the "Back up these folders" list. I then took the following steps:

• Stopped using my current back up drive (external USB).
    • Safely removed the external USB drive.
    • Rebooted my computer
    • Plugged in my external USB drive.
    • Start Backup

The folder on the E: drive reappears!

When I try to do a backup, it says that the backup has not completed. Indeed, there are no files stored on my external disk. The log give the error message, "Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration
    C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config"

Two questions:

• How can I set File Restore back to its factory default settings?
    • Is there any way to get File Restore to backup my files from my second internal (EFile history- Removable disk e is disconnected :) disk to my external USB disk?

BobPlantz, Aug 17, 2019
  4. geotso Win User

Can't safely remove external disk

In reference to the steps of your suggestions:

• The issue is specific to the particular disk and it started after I've used the disk to save the System image backup (created with the Control Panel > File History tool).
    • I didn't disable any windows Service. I'm just wondering if there is any to disable.
    • Safe boot with networking, or clean boot doesn't resolve the issue.

Thank you.

geotso, Aug 17, 2019
Thema:

1. File history- Removable disk e is disconnected - Similar Threads - File history Removable

2. File History - removal of deleted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History - removal of deleted files: In the "Delete older versions of files and folders" dialog which I'm not able to insert, despite saving the image as a file the prompt says that:"All other files and folders, such as versions that were excluded or removed from your libraries, are also deleted."What does this...
  3. File History - removal of deleted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History - removal of deleted files: In the "Delete older versions of files and folders" dialog which I'm not able to insert, despite saving the image as a file the prompt says that:"All other files and folders, such as versions that were excluded or removed from your libraries, are also deleted."What does this...
  4. File History - removal of deleted files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. File History Drive disconnect

File History Drive disconnect: Hello, I turned File History on around the 1st of march just to see what it did. Now, when I try to disconnect it Windows complains and says 'This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device and then try again.' I tried...
  6. Local Disk E: removed and need to recover

Local Disk E: removed and need to recover: On the latest windows update, I removed the Local Disk E: through this process and need to recover it. Type cmd in Windows Start Search box Cortana > Right click and run as Administrator Give following command and Enter: diskpart Now another window will be opened having...
  7. backup and "file history drive is disconnected"

backup and "file history drive is disconnected": Cannot backup due to "file history drive is disconnected", cannot even manual backup even though File Explorer shows external drive is active. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-file-history-drive-is-disconnected/9cf94ae3-6d24-4a02-9546-45658511b850
  8. Fix for file history disconnection

Fix for file history disconnection: Hi, What software can I download to fix my file history? I keep getting pop-ups that say the file history is disconnected. I Googled the problem but the software that came up my security protection said was on a list of unsafe sites. Any ideas? Cheers Sue...
  9. Disconnect and reconnect File History drive

Disconnect and reconnect File History drive: I have been trying to find the way to disconnect my drive after a backup has run. I do not want the drive to be connected all the time but just connect it a few times a day or when anything major changes. I have noticed that the external drive runs even when there is no...
  10. File History to be removed?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History to be removed?: I've done a quick search on the forum and can't find any reference to this topic. I used File History today and discovered that there were no entries beyond 5 November, which happens to be the day that I was upgraded to the Fall Creators update. A bit of googling revealed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reconect file drive

2. filehistory disk formatting