Windows 10: File History Restore - "Item Not Found - This is No Longer Located In [Backup Drive]"

Discus and support File History Restore - "Item Not Found - This is No Longer Located In [Backup Drive]" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In Windows 10, I am having trouble restoring files from File History. I want to restore files from an old Win 10 PC to a new Win 10 PC using File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by OldsEng, Jan 1, 2019.

1. OldsEng Win User

File History Restore - "Item Not Found - This is No Longer Located In [Backup Drive]"

In Windows 10, I am having trouble restoring files from File History. I want to restore files from an old Win 10 PC to a new Win 10 PC using File History. (The hard drive on the old PC has died). The File History is located on an external USB hard drive.

I can start the restore process but after a minute or so the following error message appears:

File History Restore - "Item Not Found - This is No Longer Located In [Backup Drive]" 270bec9b-462f-4206-93a2-b9a3f5c3fddb?upload=true.png

I am able to browse through my files using the File History app. I can look at the files using File Explorer. I am confident the drive is connected reliably to the computer and that the external hard drive is working correctly.

I have tried multiple times and even deleted the config files for File History, but this error continues to occur.

Thank you for your assistance.

:)

OldsEng, Jan 1, 2019

2. File History Restore Not Working

My apologies for my not explaining my problem clearly.

File History would always list my external drive. It would not list the File History backup subfolder, "Computer Name", which contained my backup.

I completed the 5 steps you recommended, and in step (4), using Windows Explorer, I opted to change the name to "File History.old" instead of deleting it. Had I deleted it, all my backup files that I want to reload onto drive C would have been gone.

When I look at the external backup drive in Windows Explorer it now shows 4 folders, $RECYCLE.BIN, FileHistory, FileHistory.old and System Volume Information. Bottom line, FileHistory contains only the backed up data currently on Drive C as a result of step
    5, while FileHistory.old contains the data I wish to reload.

Now when I go to Control Panel/File History/Select drive, and select the external backup drive, only the subfolder contained in FileHistory shows up. The subfolder contained in FileHistory.old, which contains the data I wish to restore, is still not listed.
    When I select "Restore personal files" it only shows folders associated with FileHistory.

Thanks for your attention and help, but I am now resigned to copying and pasting the files that I need to restore. I totally yield to the higher power that is Microsoft.

Again thanks,

RP

Robert Pat Vaughn, Jan 1, 2019
  3. File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Jan 1, 2019
  4. sumasage Win User

File History Restore - "Item Not Found - This is No Longer Located In [Backup Drive]"

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

1. File History Restore - "Item Not Found - This is No Longer Located In [Backup Drive]" - Similar Threads - File History Restore

2. File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?: Greetings. I have a laptop with Windows 11 pro which was automatically upgraded from Windows 10 Pro, which I upgraded from Windows 10 Home. I bought an external hard drive for backups as my laptop is getting old. I am currently trying to get a backup of all my data that is on...
  3. Windows 10 backup and restore - File history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 backup and restore - File history: Does Microsoft still support Windows 10 Backup and Restore File History? I have read differing opinions on this? Is it being phased out? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-backup-and-restore-file-history/48ead602-8f04-49b3-9d8f-b8d056df5ebe
  4. Windows backup/restore and file history

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows backup/restore and file history: I have a new (late December) Dell 5500, 512 GB SSD about half empty. I have File Explorer access to a 2TB NAS (WD Mybook Live) via home wifi network. I'm starting with win 10 native s/w. I'll research other popular programs (macrium etc) because multiple attempts using the...
  5. Item no longer can be found.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Item no longer can be found.: I have tried to delete these out of my folder, as well as tried to change the name. I have also placed the images back in the folder and tried to delete them all and still get the same message. I have tried to delete them in safe mode. I have run several virus scans and...
  6. File History VS Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History VS Backup and Restore: Hi. So I have this 2TB external hard drive which uses the USB type-C so I can leave it plugged in all the time. I've done all the system repair disc, restore point, system image and recovery drive. 1) can the same external drive be used for both file history and backup and...
  7. Backup and Restore Question for File History

Backup and Restore Question for File History: I have used File History for a number of years to backup my files. I can see it running and according to the program it operates successfully. For the heck of it I tried to restore a file, just to see if it would work. It ended up only finding a backup from July 2019, yet...
  8. Item not found, item no longer located in desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Item not found, item no longer located in desktop: Hi I was working on a Sibelius file last night and saved it to the desktop. This morning when I tried opening it, I kept getting met with the error "Item not found, item no longer located in C:users\***\Desktop. Verify the item's location and try again." If I look in...
  9. Difference between File History and Backup and Restore

Difference between File History and Backup and Restore: I want a complete backup of my laptop. I want EVERY file to be backed up. Which option is better: File History OR Backup and Restore? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between-file-history-and-backup-and/eb00ff8f-d696-4e1a-8851-2326a88eeecd
  10. Backup and Restore with File History

Backup and Restore with File History: I'm backing up using file history. If I indicate a folder structure such as c:\Users, do all subordinate or child folders and files contained therein get backed up. I tried a test of this and it does not seem to do the backup. Is there a switch somewhere that I'm missing?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Could not find this item. This is no longer located in