Windows 10: File history restoring to one drive

Discus and support File history restoring to one drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After sudden catastrophic failure of my SSD I am trying to restore files to a new SSD with a fresh windows install using file history. It will restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by N Brown2, May 7, 2020.

1. N Brown2 Win User

File history restoring to one drive

After sudden catastrophic failure of my SSD I am trying to restore files to a new SSD with a fresh windows install using file history. It will restore files then immediately one drive seems to take control of the folder. Manually moving folders from one drive to local storage has resulted in file explorer freezing and the folder seemingly being taken over by one drive again. I have tried to unlink one drive and this allows me to move and restore files but it reconnects on startup and will seemingly at random take over folders again. Is there anything that can be done to fix this or am I best reinstalling windows again and starting fresh?

:)

N Brown2, May 7, 2020

2. File History Restore Not Working

My apologies for my not explaining my problem clearly.

File History would always list my external drive. It would not list the File History backup subfolder, "Computer Name", which contained my backup.

I completed the 5 steps you recommended, and in step (4), using Windows Explorer, I opted to change the name to "File History.old" instead of deleting it. Had I deleted it, all my backup files that I want to reload onto drive C would have been gone.

When I look at the external backup drive in Windows Explorer it now shows 4 folders, $RECYCLE.BIN, FileHistory, FileHistory.old and System Volume Information. Bottom line, FileHistory contains only the backed up data currently on Drive C as a result of step
    5, while FileHistory.old contains the data I wish to reload.

Now when I go to Control Panel/File History/Select drive, and select the external backup drive, only the subfolder contained in FileHistory shows up. The subfolder contained in FileHistory.old, which contains the data I wish to restore, is still not listed.
    When I select "Restore personal files" it only shows folders associated with FileHistory.

Thanks for your attention and help, but I am now resigned to copying and pasting the files that I need to restore. I totally yield to the higher power that is Microsoft.

Again thanks,

RP

Robert Pat Vaughn, May 7, 2020
  3. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, May 7, 2020
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Disconnect and reconnect File History drive

Hi David,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To stop file history using a drive, you can try the steps listed below.

Ideally, File History will save copies of your files every hour, so disconnecting and reconnecting the backup drive every hour would be a tedious task. However, if you still would like to go for it, you may try the steps listed
    below.

• Open Settings and go to Update & Security > Backup using File History.
    • Scroll down to Backup to a different drive
      and choose Stop using the drive to disconnect the drive.
    • Later, when you would like to reconnect, go to
      Settings
      >
      Update & security>
      Backup>
      Add a drive to reconnect the drive.

Additional Info: Use File History to backup and restore
    in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, May 7, 2020
Thema:

1. File history restoring to one drive - Similar Threads - File history restoring

2. one drive files restore

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    one drive files restore: My one drive files are deleted. Please help me to restore my one drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-files-restore/0848a996-bc0d-478d-91c8-3472a727fac7
  3. one drive files restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    one drive files restore: My one drive files are deleted. Please help me to restore my one drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-files-restore/0848a996-bc0d-478d-91c8-3472a727fac7
  4. one drive files restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. one drive vs. file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    one drive vs. file history: After downloading the one drive app Cloud, my File History Drive took a dump. I Was not able to back up using my File History Drive due to an error, back up wasn't able to recognize the drive. I had to format the history drive and give it another drive letter. I was given...
  6. one drive vs. file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    one drive vs. file history: After downloading the one drive app Cloud, my File History Drive took a dump. I Was not able to back up using my File History Drive due to an error, back up wasn't able to recognize the drive. I had to format the history drive and give it another drive letter. I was given...
  7. one drive vs. file history

8. Restore the files on one drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore the files on one drive: I moved my files from one drive to my PC drive 1 month ago. Then my PC has crashed. Can I resotre the file on onedrive? There was no file in trash box. It seems that when I moved the file from one drive, it did not go to the trash....
  9. Restore the files on one drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore the files on one drive: I moved my files from one drive to my PC drive 1 month ago. Then my PC has crashed. Can I resotre the file on onedrive? There was no file in trash box. It seems that when I moved the file from one drive, it did not go to the trash....
  10. Restore the files on one drive