Windows 10: File History: Sees my external SSD used for backup but says no files to restore from

Discus and support File History: Sees my external SSD used for backup but says no files to restore from in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Thank everyone in advance for your time! Due to a hardware issue and to declutter my system, I had to do a full, ground-up reinstallation of Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DanNorstrom1, Jul 9, 2019.

1. File History: Sees my external SSD used for backup but says no files to restore from

Thank everyone in advance for your time!

Due to a hardware issue and to declutter my system, I had to do a full, ground-up reinstallation of Windows 10 (64bit).

• My account/ID name was (for example) "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***". I was also the only user/account, and Administrator, on my PC.
    • I kicked-off the "restore to factory image and reinstall your operating system" process
    • Windows prompted me to make a full USB bootable recovery flash drive on a 64GB USB flash drive
    • Windows then prompted me to make a full file backup using File History- the backup was made to my external 2TB SDD
    • It successfully ran and created the FileHistory directory, my "123ABC" directory, my PC name directory and the Files/Data subdirectories- no errors or skip file messages
    • I then reinstalled Windows 10 (64bit) using my same Microsoft license
    • I then created a new acccount/ID name (for example) "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***"; I didn't want to use *** Email address is removed for privacy ***" anymore as my old ID was no longer a good choice for many reasons- especially if I added an employee to my small home business
    • The Windows and all my apps and driver install went perfectly

Here is where the problem started:

• I then went to Settings, Backup and File History and attemepted to restore my saved files
    • My 2TB SSD was in the same USB slot when the backup was successfully created, even noting the correct drive "D:\"
    • File History said it could not locate any previous backups
    • I went through all settings, advanced settings and FIle History does see my D:\ drive but still says it cannot locate any files to restore from

I am thinking it is because my original backup was created usting my old "123ABC" Microsoft ID, which is in fact in the backup file path

• My new, current Microsoft ID on my PC as noted earlier is now "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***"
    • Do I need to re-create my old ID as an additional user and restore it that way?
    • Any other suggestions?

Many, many thanks to everyone involved!

:)

DanNorstrom1, Jul 9, 2019
  2. MrMikeDIY Win User

How to restore backup from Backup Set on external drive when File History says "No file history was found"?

I backed up my files on Windows 10 to an external drive a days ago, and now I want to restore them. I went to System Security, then to File History. When I selected "Restore personal files" a window pops up it only says "No file history was found". I can
    clearly see the Backup Set on the external drive.

What do I do now?

MrMikeDIY, Jul 9, 2019
  3. File History Restore Not Working

My apologies for my not explaining my problem clearly.

File History would always list my external drive. It would not list the File History backup subfolder, "Computer Name", which contained my backup.

I completed the 5 steps you recommended, and in step (4), using Windows Explorer, I opted to change the name to "File History.old" instead of deleting it. Had I deleted it, all my backup files that I want to reload onto drive C would have been gone.

When I look at the external backup drive in Windows Explorer it now shows 4 folders, $RECYCLE.BIN, FileHistory, FileHistory.old and System Volume Information. Bottom line, FileHistory contains only the backed up data currently on Drive C as a result of step
    5, while FileHistory.old contains the data I wish to reload.

Now when I go to Control Panel/File History/Select drive, and select the external backup drive, only the subfolder contained in FileHistory shows up. The subfolder contained in FileHistory.old, which contains the data I wish to restore, is still not listed.
    When I select "Restore personal files" it only shows folders associated with FileHistory.

Thanks for your attention and help, but I am now resigned to copying and pasting the files that I need to restore. I totally yield to the higher power that is Microsoft.

Again thanks,

RP

Robert Pat Vaughn, Jul 9, 2019
  4. Peer_Sam Win User

File History: Sees my external SSD used for backup but says no files to restore from

Files skipped in Backup using File History

Hi Sumangal,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Which device are you backing up the files to?

Normally, on the successful completion of back up, you will get the pop up saying that the backup operation completed successfully and if any file is skipped, you will be notified about it, however some files due to their length appear to be hidden. If
    you try to restore the file using File History it is actually there.

I would suggest to check if the files/folders are in the Excluded folder list. You may also want to check the file history logs to view the recent events errors, the option is available under
    Advanced settings of File History.

Finally, I would suggest to restore your personal files and see if the missing files are restored from the file history. Please refer to the following article. The article is for Windows 8, but holds good for Windows 10 as well.

Restoring files from File History

Hope the information is helpful.

Regards,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Jul 9, 2019
Thema:

File History: Sees my external SSD used for backup but says no files to restore from

1. File History: Sees my external SSD used for backup but says no files to restore from - Similar Threads - File History Sees

2. File History can't see my restore files.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History can't see my restore files.: This seems to be a common problem yet I still can't fund a solution. I used File History to back up my data to an external hard drive before reformatting my laptop and doing a clean install of Windows 10. I have named the laptop the same name and my username is the same. I...
  3. Use File History for backup

Use File History for backup: Hello everyone, I had some problems with my windows 10 computer. The manufacturer support asked me to reset my computer and to reinstall windows on it. That is what I did but before deleting every bit of data I had on my computer, I did a backup to restore my files after...
  4. Backup Using File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup Using File History: I wanted to clean up my backup hdd and I deleted the folder File History. Now, if I say Backup Now in Backup Using File History, it says last backup …, it goes for 1 second and returns to cancel. How can I get Backup Using File History to work again without reinstalling...
  5. Cannot see File History in backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot see File History in backup to external drive: Hello, I use a WD My Passport to do backups for my HP laptop. I use Windows 10 Home edition. When I did a backup recently, I did not see my File History in there. It just showed a System/Disk? image on the backup drive and some other file ending in .cat. I keep all of my...
  6. periodic backup to external drive using file history

periodic backup to external drive using file history: If I set up my files to be backed up to an external hard drive using file history, do I have to keep the external drive connected continuously? Or can I hook up external drive periodically?...
  7. Backup Using File History

Backup Using File History: I use File History in Win 10 to back up my files to a 500GB WD My Passport portable hard drive. I also use WD SmartWare installed from the WD drive to back up my files. This seems redundant and maybe overkill. Is it safe to rely solely on File History which would allow...
  8. Backup and Restore with File History

Backup and Restore with File History: I'm backing up using file history. If I indicate a folder structure such as c:\Users, do all subordinate or child folders and files contained therein get backed up. I tried a test of this and it does not seem to do the backup. Is there a switch somewhere that I'm missing?...
  9. Backup using file history

Backup using file history: I am attempting to backup to my external drive using file history, I have done this many times before with no problem, but now it would appear file history does not see my external drive leaving a Red X after the drive name. Not had any problem before & I am using the same...
  10. Use File History or Win 7 Backup & Restore?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Use File History or Win 7 Backup & Restore?: I've been using Backup & Restore on some Win 7 systems but now I have added a new Win 10 PC (from HP). It's not entirely clear to me why I would use the Win 10 File History facility versus Win 7 Backup & Restore. File History looks like a partial backup. I'd prefer a full...