Windows 10: File History Setup

Discus and support File History Setup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am looking for some assistance on my setup. There is 4 people on my family (dad, mom, 2 kids). Mom, kid1, and kid2 have each their laptops. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by garce, Feb 6, 2016.

1. garce Win User

File History Setup

I am looking for some assistance on my setup.
    There is 4 people on my family (dad, mom, 2 kids).
    Mom, kid1, and kid2 have each their laptops.
    I have setup a microsoft family and they are all on the same homegroup. They all login with their own MS account.
    My wife and myself have login access to all. Kids only have login access to their own laptop.

I have a "homeserver" laptop with windows 10 that has attached an external seagate 2TB that I want to use for file history. I have login access to this one.
    I am trying to understand how file history will work in this situation (I have login access to 4 laptops, so does my wife)
    I recommended file history drive to other members of homegroup. I see a message: "I want to use a previous backup on this File History drive " checked but not sure if this is a good idea

Is Windows 10 smart enough not to overwrite backups for the same user on different computers? Would it be a problem to restore since everything may get mixed up between laptops for same user? Should i be worried about the prompt above? I decided not to select it. Thanks for your help and patience

:)

garce, Feb 6, 2016

2. File History error 0x80040304 during Backup/Restore

Hi Kenneth,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with File History.

How did you setup file history on the computer?

Please follow the below link to know how to setup file history on Windows 10:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-back-up-your-files

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Feb 6, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Windows 10 home edition & my drive.

Hi Monzeem, it seems Windows File History is a bit mixed up . . .

Open the Settings App (gear icon on your Star Menu)

Go to Update and Security - Backup

Is File History setup and if so is there a drive listed there to hold the File History?

DaveM121, Feb 6, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

File History Setup

I don't have a complete answer for you. Just give you what I know by personal experience.

I have 2 laptops. They are not in homegroup setup.
    I do not do file backups because all the files/documents I want to keep are saved to an external hard drive right away. So, there is no need.
    I do run system image backup regularly, about once every 2 weeks or after major update.
    I will insert my ext. hdd to laptop #1 and run the File history > system image backup > Create a system image.
    When finished, I'll take the ext.hdd to laptop #2 and do the same.
    The system will store my 2 backups under WindowsImageBackup folder inside whuich there will be 2 folders of different names. One name for laptop #1 and another name for laptop #2.
    From then on, all subsequent image backups will go to the corresponding folders. They will never get mixed up. Not a chance.
    I don't know if there is a different procedures on home group setup. I doubt that.

Rest assured very soon people will start telling you their preference, such as Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image.
    Those 2 seem to be the prevalent favourites in this forum, at least.

3rd party programs offer more features, that's for sure, and more "sophisticated."
    Whether you want to use the built-in program or need a 3rd party program to do what you want is entirely up to you.

davidhk, Feb 6, 2016
  5. garce Win User
    @davidhk Thanks. I really want it automated/network based and not dependent on connecting the hard drive to every computer every so often. Set it and forget it... Appreciate if others could comment. Thanks!

garce, Feb 7, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    Might be time to invest in a NAS/Network Attached Storage drive that attaches by Ethernet cable to the Router. It doesn't depend upon any one computer being on and all computers can Map it for access. I have Windows, Mac OS X and Linux Mint accessing mine.

Berton, Feb 7, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    They won't get merged or overwritten as the name of the PC is stored in the path.

The structure of file history is like this:

<Drive>:\FileHistory\<User name>\<Computer name>\Data\<Drive letter>\Users\<User name>\etc etc

So you'll end up with paths like this on your FileHistory drive. Code: F:\FileHistory\grarce\PC1\Data\C\Users\garce\Documents F:\FileHistory\grarce\PC1\Data\C\Users\garce\Music F:\FileHistory\grarce\PC2\Data\C\Users\garce\Documents F:\FileHistory\wife\PC1\Data\C\Users\wife\Documents F:\FileHistory\wife\PC3\Data\C\Users\wife\Documents F:\FileHistory\kid1\PC1\Data\C\Users\kid1\Music[/quote] You can check this for the PC you are already backing up with file history if you open up the FileHistory folder on the backup drive.

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

File History Setup

1. File History Setup - Similar Threads - File History Setup

2. File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History: File History seems to have stopped working. I've tried backing up from my PC W10, 21H1 version to two Passports. Each time I get the "run now" message, then a message only a few seconds later that the back-up is complete, but the total TB/GB amount free figure on the Passport...
  3. File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History: I have Windows 11 and cannot find the previous Windows 10 setup page that allowed inclusion of desired files as well as the removal of those not needed by the user. All it appears to do is to save files chosen by the program, most of which I don't need and cannot erase. Can...
  4. File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History: I have Windows 11 and cannot find the previous Windows 10 setup page that allowed inclusion of desired files as well as the removal of those not needed by the user. All it appears to do is to save files chosen by the program, most of which I don't need and cannot erase. Can...
  5. FILE HISTORY

FILE HISTORY: FILE HISTORY NOTIFICATIONS OF FILES SKIPPED I CREATED A LIBRARY BUT FILE HISTORY WOULD NOT COPY IT AUTOMATICALLY. I CHANGED IT TO A FOLDER BUT DOES NOT COPY ACCORDING TO THE ERROR MESSAGES OF FILES SKIPPED. IT DOES COPY MANUALLY....
  6. File history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history: Hi, Only get this error on older files once I edit the file it will get backup. I get the following error Files that are encrypted with Encrypting File System, on a network location, or on a drive that doesn’t use the NTFS file system can’t be backed up. They were all...
  7. File History new setup doesn't work

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History new setup doesn't work: Setup file history new per instructions I found online. Pretty straight forward select folders, select a drive, set frequency, tell it to perform first backup. All went fine and initial backup was created, and I could view required files in the Previous Versions tab of folder...
  8. File History apparently was not working after initial setup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History apparently was not working after initial setup: I have a Windows 10 64-bit desktop with several internal drives: C: SSD with OS D: old HDD that used to host OS, now a backup E: RAID1 pair F: RAID1 pair I upgraded the C drive to SSD March of 2018, but before doing so, I saved a system image backup to D, and set up...
  9. File History

File History: For some unknown reason, I opened my laptop and noticed that I had to manually minimize windows to see others. I tried to see if it was connected to setting in file history and found that file history was turned off and it said no usable file drive found. I don't know if it...
  10. File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History: Hi. Hope I have posted this in the correct forum - I could not find a 'Backup & Restore' page. I have just purchased a NAS drive and I am going to enable Windows 10 to backup to this using File History. My question is, how does windows store these files? For...